Author Topic: Storage Basics....is there a reference out there? ....a good one?  (Read 5736 times)

Offline regener8

Hello,
...wondering if anyone has some good storage advice for an MCI9 .....as example:
1 - how often should I start the bus/move it/drive it ....once stored....
2 - what are storage basics I should do relative to the charging system/batteries
3 - is there a good way to preserve the tires in outdoor conditions? I currently have them covered.

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
Re: Storage Basics....is there a reference out there? ....a good one?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 08:52:01 AM »
Well all this stuff has been covered over the years. Here is what I remember..

Tires, covering is good - keep them out of the sun, most of the "protectants" tend to make it worse - they look good, but draw out the oils sooner and in the long run tend to increase cracking.  Driving the bus occasionally is best, flexes the sidewalls and distributes the oils.

Batteries - keep a trickle charger of some sort on them all, and of course keep them filled with distilled water.  Its charging too fast that can boil out fluids / gases.

Probably best to drive it once a month for 100 miles ( lets see thats how many gallons at todays's prices?)  Driving is way better than just idling it. In fact, idling, even a fast idle may be harmful especially to two strokes.  The engine can't get hot enough unless it's under load. It needs the heat to burn off water, impurities, and keep fuel from building up in the slobbert tubes.  And idling does not do anything for the rest of the drivetrain and wheels etc.

I end up taking mine out at least once every 3 months during spring and fall, every month during the winter and for a month during the summer.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline regener8

Re: Storage Basics....is there a reference out there? ....a good one?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:45:08 PM »
Hey Jim,
.....thanks for all your info....I went out to the storage place and after 14 months of not being started, the eager Detroit Diesel started first time.....this was also the case when I traveled before and also had to be away from the bus for 6 months.....so , given what you've taken care to write, I will follow the advice on tire/uv protection....and actually driving the bus vs. just starting it up....seems like since the last time I posted I've gained a lot of insights into having a bus and the excitement has only INCREASED....can you explain that?....I will start a new post with some of the questions that have come up over the 18 months or so that I've had her....I spent two months when I first got her to do the interior in cedar....gives the Big Bear Cabin look I'm happy to say worked out fine!....Jim, thanks again for your solid info.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal