Author Topic: Buses advertised elsewhere and board ettiquite  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Reddog

• 1990 Thomas "Hormone Derange" Gunnison, Colorado
  • 1990 Thomas Transitliner, 8.3 Cummins/Allison Auto
    • Dog Bus site
Buses advertised elsewhere and board ettiquite
« on: December 22, 2007, 03:54:03 PM »
OK, I was browsing Ebay and came across a bus that I found very interesting, a Flex, but I know very little about it's background, manufacturally speaking. My wife always says "Your favorite car is your next one" and this may apply to buses also, because I am always looking at what's for sale.
 On the Bluebird board that I used to monitor, one time someone mentioned a Bird that was listed on the internet and it turned into a real mess with members thinking it was a planted posting to promote that particular rig. Lots of folks got grouchy about it.
  What is the protocol on this board reference asking about other buses listed elsewhere for sale, or the members thoughts about this practice? I look at lots of sites, looking at other rigs for sale and often wonder what other busnuts think.
  Is it inapproiate (s.p.?)to bring these listing to the attention of the board, maybe even post a link to the ad?
 Doug Engel, Gunnison, Co
"If people don't stare and point as you drive by, keep working."

Dreamscape

Re: Buses advertised elsewhere and board ettiquite
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 04:02:56 PM »
If you look at previous threads it happens all the time. Questions are always being asked regarding a potential purchase with links posted.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 04:07:45 PM »
Doug,
   This is kind of a grey area.  Obvoisly, you can't list your coach and then come on here advertising it. However there are discussions about buses for sale on the internet and on Ebay see http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=6637.0 as an example of how involved some of these discussions become.  We cannot confirm that a discussion about a bus for sale was not started by the seller, but so far everyone on this BB have been prettyy good about following the rules and we feel 99% of the members are very honest people (there are always a few in any group that just have to push the rules, but fortuanately they are a very small minority).  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Reddog

• Dog Bus site
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 05:06:33 PM »
 Thanks for the replies and info. My purpose to bring a particular bus for sale to the attention of the board would be to promote "shop talk" and try to become better educated about particular breeds. (Although it would appear that some members are pretty attached to their own marques, to say the least!)
   Seems like a good thing, and keeps us all up on prices, others ideas and what is out there. Maybe it's just idle hands while low temps keep me from working on Thomas, but sounds like many of us may be suffering from the same woes. Doesn't seem like it could hurt, but figured I better ask first.
Doug 

Offline tekebird

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 05:46:48 PM »
is this the vl thgats on ebay?

Offline Reddog

• Dog Bus site
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »
Since no one seems to mind, here is the bus that spawned the question:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300184174536&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020
Doug

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 08:45:43 PM »
Red,

I guess there are down sides about almost everything.  You seem on the up and up to me.  I think anything that stimulates discussion about buses serves the purpose of this board and promotes MAK's business, at least in the the long run.

That is the nicest Flexliner I have ever seen.  I hope everyone takes a look.  thank you for that

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 08:57:37 PM »
I have seen it and your are right! It is unbelieveable!!!! A true work of art. $200,000 is alot of invested money. Whom ever is lucky enough to get this rig they will have some serious bragging rights!

Merry Christmas!!! ;D

Grant
Sacramento
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 08:48:55 AM »
....(Although it would appear that some members are pretty attached to their own marques, to say the least!)....

I think it just an excuse to rib a fellow busnut,  but i would say we all like busses and find the other interesting too  (even if they're not an MCI ;) :D)  and if someone is not havin fun with bus, then they are takin their hobby/lifestyle and self way too serious. :)

I enjoyed looking at the Flex, thanks.  Looks like a good article for MAK.  Does that have the Center engine too?
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline tekebird

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 03:37:35 PM »
Very nice looking Flxliner.

Having had two in the family both resored here are some things to look for especially it having been in the salt belt.

Flx are very prone to rust......maybe as much or moreso that Eagles.....both of ours had significant rust in the front end structure......to the point of an expected failure.

New/reindexed torsilastics are almost impossible to find.

Front Glass: Expect to buy 3-6 sets of Dina Glass to find one pair that will fit.  at 1000.00 a pop thats alot of scratch.

Always be wary of a higher HP repower...most are cooling problems being passed on. thats not to say some are not done well and correctly.

The Flxliner had a dropped aisle so expect low clearance for headroom.  This one has had the aisle raised

Unless your in love with the Flxliner for what I am guessing the reserve to be at.......there are better coaches out there.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 05:25:43 PM »
I'm visiting family nearby this Flx for the holidays.  I've sent the eBayer an inquiry, we'll see if he'll let me go by and take a look.  If so, I'll let everyone know what I find.

Doug -  send me a pm with specifics of where to look for rust besides the front suspension framework.  I'll check my emailbox tomorrow am.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 05:46:11 PM »
Teke,
I see alot of expanded metal on the engine access doors, Is that aftermarket to enhance cooling ? Ref your repower/cooling probs.

This is one fine looking coach, but alot years without alot of units produced.

I see that this has not had a roof raise, Me being 6'5", & con 6' 7" would be a headknocker.

Wonderful looking coach however, I just love looking at this one.

Gary
Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 08:58:55 PM »
See, Red?  Everybody loved it.  Ya dun good!

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline tekebird

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 10:20:41 PM »
the expanded metal was OEM.

Both of ours were straight exhaust...no muffler.

Oh I forgot...Ours were siblings...sequential serail numbers and we were the second owners.
and neither followed the manual elec schematic

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 11:43:50 PM »
Just to throw another one in for those that like older buses (not new ones like my 65), there is a 1947 GM conversion listed on San Francisco Bay Craigslist.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal