Author Topic: inverter -starting batteries  (Read 3322 times)

Offline jhaggerty

inverter -starting batteries
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:59:59 AM »
Hi folks,

I am just new to this board but have already seen lots of great info!
Power seems to be an unending topic and I am no different than anyone else. Can I use an inverter running off the start  batteries to run a small bar fridge and possibly a micro wave as long as the engine is running or is it too hard on the batteries? Also, has anyone used the "Power Bright" brand of inverter? They seem to have a really good price and I'm wondering if there is something lacking. This idea is probably a fairly temporary set up just so we can get going.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Re: inverter -starting batteries
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 09:08:33 AM »
Jim,

Using the inverter or microwave while running will basically be unnoticable to your batteries as the alternator will take care of that.

When stopped you run the risk of draining down your start source.

If just the frig for short periods while stopped you will probably be OK.

I would look at setting up a small battery bank with a solenoid to only connect them to the starts when running, as a temporary solution and one which will protect your start batteries.

Sorry  but I am unfaniliar with the Power Bright.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline pvcces

Re: inverter -starting batteries
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 07:50:33 PM »
Jim, why don't you do a search on eBay for inverters? I think that there are thousands of them available.

Your approach for a temporary setup is fine, but you shouldn't spend much on a no-name inverter. You will be soon carrying it as a spare when you figure out what they have to offer.

A caution about heating or cooling from batteries. Heating and cooling loads are the heaviest users of power in most people's lives. Most people have very little idea how much power they use. If you don't make an effort to learn how much power you want to use, your dead batteries will start teaching you.

A golf cart battery will store about 1 1/3 kwh, of which you can repeatly use around 1/2 kwh hour without shortening the life of the battery very much. You're going to need some deep cycle batteries for your conversion anyway, so why don't you just pick up two of them for your temporary power storage? Car batteries are NOT suited for this use.

Then, you can use a kwh between charges, and you will start getting used to life on battery power. It's different.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal