Author Topic: 8v71 rotation  (Read 6459 times)

makemineatwostroke

Re: 8v71 rotation
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 08:33:04 AM »
No contest here Jr just passing on information in the book for the 740  Allisons on 8v Detroits

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »

I've had to eat crow before, and I'd rather eat it now than mislead BerryBus.   ???
I'd be interested in what the book says.   I've never seen an HT740 in an MC9 with a transmission motor mount.   I'm aware that the transmission has provisions for side mounts, and have no idea why they are not used on MC9s.   May narrow the footprint and allow too much engine movement?   I'd have to look, but I don't believe the cradle has provisions for mounting transmission mounts.
I've got an MC9 with an HT748R, and have worked on several others.  All have the transmission hanging on the bell housing. 
An 8V71N makes less HP than a 6V92TA, so that wouldn't be the issue.
Perhaps there's a year model change or something that alters the later units from earlier?
Whilest thinking about Berrybus' plight...the most simple conversion would be to slide a complete powertrain (cradle with engine and transmission) and use the whole unit.
Maybe find a 6V92TA MUI too.  Be a better overall system and bolt-in conversion. 

Regards, JR 

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 09:59:23 AM »
JR, sorry about misleading you and Barry the spec appiles to a 8v92 over 385hp so I will eat the crow
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 04:39:38 PM by makemineatwostroke »

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 04:55:55 PM »
JR, sorry about misleading you and Barry the spec appiles to a 8v92 over 385hp so I will eat the crow

No problemo dude!  My positions are occasionally...shall we say..."improved" upon?   
Generally, any time I venture an opinion on other than 6V92 powered MC9s, I'm wrong...sometimes...well..really wrong!  And electricity.  I don't discuss electricity anymore.  ;)
Hey, that never stops me from offering up SWAGs!  ;D
While not a bus mechanic, I am a mechanic, and bring a mechanic's perspective to many things.
If your Yamaha, Suzuki, or Kawasaki won't run...I can help you with that!  8)
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand