Author Topic: Vacuums?  (Read 6364 times)

Offline lloyd

Vacuums?
« on: December 28, 2007, 07:31:45 AM »
Merry Christmas everyone. My wife asked me to ask you guys what you use for a vacuum? A type of central vac, or a regular vac, or a hand held, or a broom and dust pan. I think she would like a central vac mounted in one of the bays. We have not started our conversion yet, just getting our ducks in a row.
Lloyd

Dreamscape

Re: Vacuums?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:48:36 AM »
My, how wives think alike....

We have not installed one yet...but....we will....either a plumbed shop vac or rv type in a bay. Of course a broom and dustpan work well for non carpeted floors. A vac in a bay really is the way to go, noise from vac is controlled.

FWIW,

Paul

Offline Jerry Liebler

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 08:47:49 AM »
We use a small canister type, Eureka Mighty Mite.  It is stored under a dinette seat, is small light and not too noisy & reasonably priced, about $40.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 08:52:56 AM »
I have a Hoover GUV that I'm thinking I'd like to mount in a bay and plumb although it may be too long. Also have a small cordless unit for smaller things.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-L2310-Gallon-Garage-Utility/dp/B000289920
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:43:15 AM »
I bought a used Electrolux at a flea market.  With a box of bags and the vacuum I paid $10.  The vacuum works great, not a thing wrong with it. The hardest part is the storage. Since we fulltime I need it where i can get it out easily but we have so much other stuff to store that I end up moving it from place to place
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 10:19:10 AM »
Hi Lloyd,

We have the Dometic central Vac. that is very functional for a coach.

Here is the link
http://www.dometicusa.com/microwaves.php?product=82

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline lloyd

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 11:14:55 AM »
Nick, that vacuum looks very compact and could be mounted inside the coach. Do you have idea of price?
Lloyd

ladyEagle

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:59:46 AM »
Now for another woman's view on this subject.   Lloyd buy your wife a house type central vac if the budget will allow.It takes up very little of you guys precious bays and you can get a wet can attachment for spills, a real carpet cleaning attachment for deep cleaning of the carpet and a outside plug to vacuum  the car.I had the so called Dometic central vac in our Monaco it beats nothing I guess.I hope you guys are not mad but I am the one that has to use the vac not my husband.  I would prefer one that uses no bags our Nutone bags cost from 1 to 2 dollars a bag. This is just my opinion about the vacs

Dallas

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 12:36:54 PM »
Now for another woman's view on this subject.   Lloyd buy your wife a house type central vac if the budget will allow.I hope you guys are not mad but I am the one that has to use the vac not my husband.  I would prefer one that uses no bags our Nutone bags cost from 1 to 2 dollars a bag. This is just my opinion about the vacs

Lady Eagle, Nope, no one is mad at you.

This has been a guys forum for exactly too long. We need the input of ladies like you and Cat and Christy and all the other better halves of our worthless selves.

If we, as men, never get the input needed to make the coach comfortable for both, mama ain't gonna be happy. If mama ain't happy......  :'(

Make as many comments as you want, some will argue with you about it, but stand up and be heard. Many more will pay attention, (as much as men can to items above the chin), and you'll be doing a public service for all!

Dallas

By the way, Cat is lucky she got the Electrolux, I was holding out for a whisk broom and dust pan for her birthday.... Which by the way, I'm not telling is in her profile!  ::)
DF

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 12:40:46 PM »
I have a shop vac located in the third bay, it is hosed to a central vac hose plug-in in the coach. The hose is long enough to reach front to back.   The hose is stored under the bed.  I've used it twice..... :-[  Way faster to sweep the bus out than dig the hose out.   However, when used, it did work well.

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 01:06:39 PM »
Right now a large, noisy, as new shop vac purchased at a yard sale for $15.00.  Estimated cost new $50 to $75??.  Dunno.  Works fine and I am half deaf, soosssss who cares.  :) :) :)

Offline belfert

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 01:44:51 PM »
The house type central vacs aren't that much more money than the RV central vacs, but they will take more space.  The smallest Hayden central vac will barely fit height wise in most bays, plus the bottom needs to drop down to empty the dirt.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Stan

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 01:58:02 PM »
Many of the house type cannister vacuums use the same motor-fan assembly as the smaller model built in units. A good vacuum repair shop can steer you to the right model and frequently have older rebuilt units for sale. Some models don't use bags (Filter Queen is one) which is an advantage when you are traveling and the vacuum is full. Any house type unit can be mounted in the basement, powered through a relay that has the coil wired into the bus battery voltage. One outlet in the center of the bus will let you reach the whole bus interior (and your car) with a standard hose assembly use with built-ins.

As previously pointed out, I could not find a built-in unit that would fit in a MCI bay and still be able to remove the dirt container. If you have a MC-6 or a GM 4501 it is not a problem.

captain ron

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 01:59:31 PM »
Since there is no woman on my bus except sporty and she's afraid of my little dirt devil, I like the dirt devil cause it has the beater and I use iy on my futon and some rugs but I'm putting in a home made central vac. and my hose will be handily stored by the vac outlet.

Offline TomC

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 02:04:06 PM »
I have a mini Eureka upright, which works alright, but does emit alot of dust into the air.  Because of the small area, the central vac like the Dometic would be my next choice.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal