Author Topic: Help!...... Flx Exploded in Rock Hill South Carolina  (Read 14120 times)

Dallas

Re: Help!...... Flx Exploded in Rock Hill South Carolina
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 04:10:44 AM »
For Anyone interested, here is the disposition so far of Meinhart Lagies Flx that had the problem yesterday. This is the email he sent me this morning.

Oh, and by the way, Meinhart does have FMCA Roadservice, but apparently they didn't know where to take it. ;)

the cripple is home!
   hi, dallas:
first of all, many, many thanks for all your efforts. thanks to you and ned sanders i may have found a repair shop. now i just have to get the bus there. kind of interesting that you posted the SOS on 4 bus boards and only one responded. nice note from clifford, too.

it took the entire day and a $1,500 tow bill, but the bus in now in my backyard again. according to the mechanic who went down to rock hill with the tow truck, this is what probably happened:

i blew the right inside rear tire with such force that it dislodged that giant heavy steel plate inside the fender well (i don't know what it's called, but its semicircular, about 4 feet in diameter, may 14 inches wide and made of heavy gauge steel). that little gizmo, once dislodged, caused yet-to-be-determined damage to the undercarriage. at the same time, either tire shreds or some pice of busted-off metal broke off the valve that regulates air pressure to the right-hand side of the bus, deflating both air bags. the mechanic thinks that since the left air bags were still inflated, the deflation of the right-side bags caused the bus to tilt far enough that it scraped along the pavement on its torsion bars (so sorry, anti-sway bars) and whatever else lives under there.

well, when i get it to dave's coach i'll know more. such is the happy life of an amateur bus owner.

thanks again for your help. it's good to have such friends.

meinhart

Offline Nusa

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 04:13:15 AM »
If one of the mods wants to set up a map, I suggest you check out http://www.frappr.com. It's ready-made for the task.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 04:21:13 AM »
Dallas,

Thanks for the updates!

Glad to hear that Meinhart made it home.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Dallas

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 04:37:01 AM »
If one of the mods wants to set up a map, I suggest you check out http://www.frappr.com. It's ready-made for the task.

Nusa,
We have one in the works and are testing it right now.
There are a few resizing issues, but we are getting them worked out.
We hope to have a map up and running soon.

Dallas

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »
I am very sorry to hear about Meinhart's problems. 

When I do my safety-related seminars, I always talk about tire inspection and preventative maintenance.  According to various government studies, 86-92% (depending on the study) of all tire failures are due to under-inflation.  That is a very easy thing to check

I always strongly advocate checking every tire at every rest stop.  It takes less than a minute and you get a bit of exercise.  You can feel the temperature with your hand (should not be uncomfortable to the touch) or with an infrared temperature gun.  What you are looking for is a tire that is significantly hotter than the other tires.  While that will not tell the whole story, it will help to find a grossly under inflated tire.

When you are in the business you hear a LOT of horror stories.  Related to this thread are horror stories about tire blow outs.  Jack Conrad had a tire take out his radiator system and did a lot of other damage.  He now has a tire pressure monitoring system on his bus.

I stopped to help a bus person on the way back from a MAK rally a couple of years ago with an unrelated problem.  He told me that the night before he had had a blow out as the result of an under-inflated tire.  He told me he knew it had a slow leak, but forgot to air it up before leaving the Caverns.  The blow out took out several PVC plumbing lines that were run through the wheel well, AND a propane line that ran through the same area.  He was fortunate enough to get the propane shut off before it ignited.

Since I sell tire pressure monitors, I am a bit prejudiced, but it is very comforting to know that your tires are properly inflated and that you have not picked up something that is producing a slow leak as you drive.  When folks tell me they can’t afford the cost of the system, I never argue with them, but I know that the first blow out they have will cost them more than the system.
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 01:36:43 PM »
Dallas don't let 'm rile you! Consider the source and look and see what kinda help he came up with after "formulating the correct answer" LOL! I'm sorry Dr. Dave but Dallas is in the right on this one! If someone has an emergency out there on the road 10hrs. is more than an eternity while waiting on a response! I know I l;ike a quick response and try to give a quick response if I'm around my computer to do so! Ask our buddy El Sonador or anyone else who's broke down recently if they'd appreciate waiting 10hrs. or more waitng for someone to formulate a bashing for the person who was trying to get them help! I know you don't have worry about it because you don't drive your coaches, but it's a very lonely and frustraighting feeling out there on the side of the road with no idea who to turn to! Don't mean to bash you or anyone else Dr.Dave but put yourself in the stranded mans shoes before jumping on Dallas for trying to get a quick response! Go ahead and let the flaming begin! I got my fire retardant racing suit on!
:) ;) :D ;D 8)  Knuckle 8) ;D :D ;) :) 
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 01:56:52 PM »
Dallas don't let 'm rile you! Consider the source and look and see what kinda help he came up with after "formulating the correct answer" LOL! I'm sorry Dr. Dave but Dallas is in the right on this one! If someone has an emergency out there on the road 10hrs. is more than an eternity while waiting on a response! I know I l;ike a quick response and try to give a quick response if I'm around my computer to do so! Ask our buddy El Sonador or anyone else who's broke down recently if they'd appreciate waiting 10hrs. or more waitng for someone to formulate a bashing for the person who was trying to get them help! I know you don't have worry about it because you don't drive your coaches, but it's a very lonely and frustraighting feeling out there on the side of the road with no idea who to turn to! Don't mean to bash you or anyone else Dr.Dave but put yourself in the stranded mans shoes before jumping on Dallas for trying to get a quick response! Go ahead and let the flaming begin! I got my fire retardant racing suit on!
:) ;) :D ;D 8)  Knuckle 8) ;D :D ;) :) 

No more flaming guys or we lock the post!

Opinions are welcome, but please no flaming.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Dallas

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 03:02:58 PM »
Thanks Richard.
I should have said that.

And to everyone else, Dave has a right to his opinion. I appreciate all that has been said on both sides, but it's best to not keep any argument going.
That isn't what this board is about any more. I'm not sure any of us want it to go back to the way it was on the old board.

Let's all go back to what we do best..... working on with and for our obsessions!
:
                                                   THE BUS!!!

NCbob

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 03:07:35 PM »
I spoke with Dave (Dave's Coach & Truck Service) this afternoon to check on a shipment of Jake Brakes I had sent there and asked about Meinhard's Bus.  He didn't have any answers, but of course neither did I) but he told me he was expecting it on Saturday.

I hope to be taking mine over to Dave on Friday or Saturday.  Should the Flex be there, or Meinhard I'll attempt to gather enough info to be informative...but then that's all subject to what Meinhard wishes.  I have no compunctions about taking my bus to Dave...we've talked extensively and I feel I'm in good hands.

Criticism, in Emergencies is not part of what we do.  I've had my say on that subject with the poster and I don't believe it will go any farther.

I must commend Dallas for his leadership in this situation.  This is the fastest medium we have at our disposal, collectively speaking. I, like many of you, am in and out of this board at least 5 or 6 times a day. Might we not take a lesson from the other (BNO) board and post in our profiles whether or not we can or may be able to assist a fellow BusNut in the event of an Emergency?

Pay attention Nick.,...there may be a test later.... ;D  . 

This is a Fellowship of sorts.  I know, that if my bride and I were broken down alongside a highway (and she's handicapped) I'd be reluctant to take the 'toad', if it were along, to leave her and try and find help.  Now she CAN handle a Glock 40..but that's not the point.

It's all about the OH S--t syndrome!  It's a  my turn..situation.  One day it might be mine and I want to know that I have a support group out there with good leadership, like Dallas, to pick up the slack for me.

FWIW

NCbob

Offline gus

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 09:52:29 PM »
It may be kind of late to chime in but if Meinhart needs expert advice on Flxibles the house expert is Honest Bob at HB Industries in El Cajon, CA. He has probably restored more Flxs than anyone around and has a personal one.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal