Author Topic: question about freightliner chassis & allison keypad  (Read 2255 times)

Offline rayshound

question about freightliner chassis & allison keypad
« on: December 29, 2007, 10:11:37 PM »
 Hi everyone well I did it last week I brought home my stick & glue actually an aluminun & glue Anyways I did appreciate the inspiring words when I told the bbs that I was going to a stick & glue so I could live long enough to enjoy.
My question is It is a 2000 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40'. Runs great. How can I get info on that incomplete freight Liner chassis specs?  I have a f/l vin #. I would like to know engine info, etc. I know it is a cummins big cam so they say, just reading the engine label all I get is cummins s/n. If I can look up the chassis build I would love it. Also by reading the allison tag it is a world 3060 HD. On the key pad are the letters supposed to light when you select them? If I push D,N, etc the red led display will say N,R or 6, I assume it means 6 speed. I had just thought that if you pushed n or r or whatever the button would light. Also it has an accomony light on the keypad but it never comes on. I drove this M/H approx 120 miles to get it home and it runs and shifts like new as it only has 78k miles. There is a up down arrow you can manually select the letters D,R,N etc. Just wondering how it works and would love to get the info I need but don't know where to start looking. I hope TomC is reading this. I do have a 100% bumper to bumper warranty including rv stuff that the dealer paid. I appreciate any info you may be able to help me with. Thanks Ray Lala (rayshound)

Offline TomC

Re: question about freightliner chassis & allison keypad
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:08:01 PM »
Ray- since I work with Los Angeles Freightliner, if you can get me the chassis serial number, I can run the basic specs on it.  I can assure you that it is NOT a big cam engine.  It is most likely either an ISB (5.9 liter) or a ISC (8.3 liter).
As to the operation of the Allison, the D-N-R selects obviously forward, neutral, reverse.  The up and down arrows only work when in D.  The transmission always starts in 1st.  Punching the down button will indicate what gear the transmission will hold at-although if you over speed the engine, like on a down hill, the transmission will upshift to save the engine.  The other button is the mode button.  Usually it is set at economy, and performance.  Typically when the red light is out, it is in performance mode, and when you push the mode button and the red light comes on, then it is in economy mode where the transmission will shift sooner and lug down further before down shifting.  Best is just to play with it-don't worry, you can't hurt the transmission-the electronics won't let you.
The letters do not light up when you select them, only the LED readout lights up.  The buttons are supposed to back light up when the headlights are on so you can make out the controls when dark.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline wrench

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 05:49:45 AM »
 Probably a ISL,  8.3 is limited to 330. the M is from 450 to 500 depent on the years.
         wrench

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 07:11:52 AM »
ray, my daughter and my wifes son in law have the same Allegro and when they need any type manual or a answer she calls Bob Tiffin in Red Bay Al and its sent to her most of the time at no charge FWIW

Offline belfert

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 07:19:37 AM »
There is probably a mode button on the keypad.  Hitting this button will put the transmission into economy mode.  The transmission will use different shift points to try to save fuel. 

On edit: Economy mode does little or nothing cruising down the highway in the flat lands.  6th gear is still 6th gear no matter if in economy mode or not.  I don't know if it would let the cruise MPH drop a bit going up small grades instead of downshofting to maintain speed.  I forgot to ever enable economy mode when on my 4,000 mile trip this year.  Maybe I'll try it next fall on the same trip.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 09:44:34 AM by belfert »
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline rayshound

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 09:21:22 AM »
ThanksTom & everyone for answering my questions. I bought the rv from a rv lot so I guess they are like car sales persons. Anyways I went shopping by looks, driving, nada, & comparing on e bay & the rv trader. I could tell the salesperson was not two knowing as I asked about air brakes the air ride etc and got no good answers. The only thing the salesman showed me was a Bounder on a freightliner chassis which had a skinny inline six cummins. He then showed me the Allegro on a freightliner and the engine is big by comparison. the valve cover is wide. He did say the engine is 330 hp but he said big cam cummins. I've herd those buzz words before but I no nothing about cummins. I do have experience with allison and read the tag and it said (HD) and 3060. I do not know which wetec. Here is the info I have and sure appreciate any help and thanks for the info about calling Tiffin that will surely help and Tom thanks as usual for any help. On the cummins one tag with a computer model # and a ESN 45868363. Thats all  there is on the engine. I assume ESN means engine S/N. I was hoping for some of those other letters you guys quoted. on the vin number for the freight liner incomplete chassis. 4UZ6XLCA3YCG12715. Thats it guys. Thanks again my friends. Ray

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 01:25:47 PM »
We use the last six of the vin for vehicle search.  G12715 is not a valid number.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline rayshound

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:21:32 PM »
Thanks again Tom, I did reverify and the chassis id data sheet states model XC chassis  vin# 4UZ6XLCA3YCG12715  GVWR 27910. I guess thats all we can do & I do appreciate it. Friends Ray