Author Topic: It's COLD outside -- which heater is best  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
It's COLD outside -- which heater is best
« on: January 01, 2008, 08:57:59 AM »
This is the first year that I have used the bus in the cold season other than to move it to work on it.

When I worked on it I have used two 500 watt work lights to help see what I was doing and they would warm the coach up nicely in a very short period of time however when driving the air moves around the coach and coooooools it off more quickly ( even with all the insulation ). We have used small electric heaters that run off the inverter and they make it tolerable when the temps are above freezing but I'm thinking I should plan for more severe conditions.

I have seen references to three different heaters that run on Diesel so I would not have to add another fuel as my coach is now all electric. I am wondering all the pros and cons and how the exhaust is vented etc. of the three ( and maybe there are more and better ones that I am unaware of ) Webasto, Proheat or Aquahot. Also how much 12 or 24 volt power do the units use to run for 24 hours.  I have looked at web sites but I am now looking for real experiences, opinions, costs, and ease of installation and function.

Thanks

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

makemineatwostroke

Re: It's COLD outside -- which heater is best
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »
Melbo, check out the Hurricane and Oasis heat based on the ProHeat.I have had three types of heat in different buses Aquahot,Primus (propane) and the Hurricane(Oasis) I loved the Primus system it always worked with no problems but it was propane fired boilers but nice and quite.The Aquahot i had always gave me some kind of problems and would smoke and was noisy seem liked it never worked when you needed it and now you cannot get factory service any more.The Hurricane systems has no smoke on startup and is quite I haven't had it but about a year but so far I like it.From reading all the specs on the unit it will use about 1/2 of the power as a Aquahot

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 10:10:23 AM »
Whatever you choose, make sure it is being used widely by some commercial ventures, over the road crowd, buses and/or trucks, or marine.

Parts and knowledge availability, now and moving forward, you want thousands in use, not an obscure model used by dozens.

The new highway coaches seem to be using Webasto, Proheat and Espar, in no particular order.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline tekebird

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:20:33 AM »
webasto Airtop ( forced hot air, diesel fueled).

no plumbing headaches, size of a shoebox, humidity reduced during operation

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »
I'm not locked into anything in particular but I like the idea of engine preheat and keeping the bay with the water tanks heated so I think my tendency it to think of hot water but the idea of heating the cabin with hot air and being diesel is something I had not though of.

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »
Yes, the fuel fired, 12v bunk heaters from the trucking crowd are a marvelous option for the busnut to consider.

Very low DC power consumption, VERY quiet compared to some of our traditional alternatives, and take up little space. Need a place to drill an exhaust hole and run a fuel line.

Similiar or better heat rating to the heat strips in a rooftop, with the heat delivered down low where it belongs with a lot less noise and power con$umed. Will work better at keeping the coach comfortable, BTU per BTU.

Hands down winner if you have to run the generator to make the rooftop$ work.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline tekebird

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 12:00:06 PM »
I have yet to find a heat strip unit (or two) that will match the actual realized heat value of an airtop unit.

I had ( still have it) a 12 v unit that I put in my 4104.  never used it in super cold but once for a week in daytime temps of mid 40's and night temps well below freezing.

hot enough that I was on top of the covers.  they are thermostatically controlled and can be set up with timers as well

oh yeah they are about the size of a shoebox.

my folks have a pair of older ones in the 4108 that they are selling, on in the rear one midship.......don't think they have ever used both at the same time.......no need

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal