Author Topic: air bag instalation  (Read 1288 times)

Offline rdbishop

• '68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas
air bag instalation
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:00:30 AM »
Hi Everyone!

Has anyone tried putting a thin layer of the permatex form-a-gasket on an air bag before the install?

Richard

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
Re: air bag instalation
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:05:48 AM »
what for?
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline rdbishop

• '68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 11:05:12 AM »
Well Kyle,

The plates that they mount on have some pit holes in them and I didn't want to have to weld and grind and all that stuff.

Richard

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 02:00:15 PM »
From the first question, it sounded like you were talking about coating the whole bag & that didn't make any sense to me.

So, you're just wanting to put it on the bead where it seats on the mounting plate.
I wouldn't think it would hurt anything, but, you are still gonna need to have the mounting surface clean & free of scale.

May not last as long as welding & grinding, but we probably ain't gonna be the ones changing that airbag 20 years from now.  ;D
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »
Richard,

In my experience epoxy has incredible strength in compression.  I would first grind and brush off the surface.  Spread some epoxy on it to fill the deep pits then run a straight edge across it to get it level.  I think there is a rubber gasket that goes betwen the bag and the plate.  If not, the epoxy will give you a superb surface and seal with any of the standard gasket dressings.  Pits are the pits and a PITA.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline gus

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 01:08:45 PM »
Richard,

First make sure the corrosion is actually at the air bag sealing area which is inside the bolt holes. I have 9 old plates given to me that are corroded where they contact the air beam and at the bolt holes, but none at the inside sealing circle because that is a rubber to metal contact and not subject to much corrosion, if any.

Carefully clean the sealing surface of the plate. It is anodized so make sure not to use a heavy abrasive that will remove the anodizing.

Clean up the corrosion as best you can and give it a light coat of zinc chromate paint, no need for a thick coat, thin coating actually gives better protection.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR