Author Topic: 4106 parts needed!  (Read 8445 times)

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
4106 parts needed!
« on: May 30, 2006, 12:28:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to coach ownership.  My wife and I picked up 1964 4106 8V71 4 spd that was converted in the late eighties.  I have never owned a RV, let alone a coach, so with many of the house systems I'm strugling with the learning curve to understand. 

That being aside, I'm in the process of putting new tires, brakes and drums, bearings and seals all the way 'round.  Just had the radiator recored ($gag$), and the last thing that I need to get on the road is a new muffler.  I'm pretty handy with a MIG welder, but this one is too far gone to repair.  I have a price from a company that fabricates mufflers and has built several for the 4106s, but it's $1200.  Can any of you out there point me in the direction to find a used one?  Or maybe you can just reassure me that $1200 is a bargin for these things and that is the best deal I'm going to find.

Are there any GM owners in the CT or Mass area on this forum?  I have seen one cruising around more than once!

Thanks,

Mark
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Dallas

Re: 4106 parts needed!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 12:54:10 PM »
Mark,
Welcome to the Board!

Check with Luke at US Coach in Berlin, NJ.
1.888.COACH-34

He should have what you need.

Dallas

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 01:45:38 PM »
Hi Dallas!

Thanks for Luke's number.  I talked with him for while and it sounds like I'm outta luck on finding a used one.  He can get me a new for the same price.  He may have been the original source, for that matter!

Thanks again.

Mark
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 02:01:39 PM »
If you know the dimensions and the location and size of the inlet and exit you should be able to find one in the Donaldson catalog. Ask around for a truck exhaust place and look at the catalog.
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 02:46:35 PM »
Joe,

I had the local FleetPride sales rep come in and among other things, we looked in his books for a muffler that we might have been able to use.  Unfortunately, the 4106 muffler has a 6 1/4" inlet and a 3 1/2 outlet.  The closest was a 5" inlet and a 4" outlet, but that was oval shaped and it would not have fit in the space available.

Thanks,

Mark
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline bernie

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 07:16:33 PM »
i have a 4104, i run a straight pipe down with a Y at the bottom to make dual side pipes, its not all that loud,
just a thought
          good luck
             Bernie

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 08:03:23 PM »
Bernie,

I had that thought, but a couple of people told me it would be unbearably loud.  I can't imagine that it's much worse than what I have now, my muffler has a coffee can size hole in it.    For the price of a new muffler ($1200, plus shipping), I'm very temped to buy some pipe and a small duel inlet muffler (for diesel trucks) and weld something up.  The only major downside is that the muffler will hang under the engine craddle, exposing it to road hazards.

Does your engine run better with the reduced back pressure?

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Thanks,

Mark
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 08:01:56 AM »
You could just use a generic resonator (straight through small muffler).  Even two or three in line to create your own system.  The 4106 muffler system was sort of stuffed up anyway.  May be a bit louder, but it's all behind you. The resonators are available from any of the big truck muffler companies.  Maybe make your own unique up stack system?  I have a stock up system that exits out the top left corner and I can easily keep an eye on my exhaust to control smoke.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline pvcces

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 07:32:47 PM »
Mark, one thing that you might give some thought to. You didn't mention if you have Jakes, or if you ever plan to install them.

If you run one of these coaches with a Jake Brake, as many of us do, you will want a good muffler system. Recent trends in ordinances and laws are coming to recognize that the real problem with engine brake noise is the lack of the right muffler system. There are some claims around that you can be charged with unlawful use of an engine brake and beat it in court because it is part of a safety system.

My choice is to keep a good muffler, and I don't hesitate to use the Jake most of the time. I wouldn't feel that way if I had a bad muffler.

If you ever get your brakes hot on a long downgrade, you'll probably find yourself checking things out. It shouldn't be a problem if you're willing to slow down enough on a long downgrade, but with people passing you doing 40 or so miles per hour faster than you're willing to travel, it will probably get you thinking about these things.

The price that you mention from Luke sounds like quite a bit more than just the muffler. When I was hunting around for one a couple of years ago, the muffler was a lot less than that.

Good luck with your coach.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 09:49:37 PM »
Wow! For the price of two mufflers you could buy a decent parts coach. I re-skinned a muffler one time by cutting up an old 55 gal drum and hammered/ welded the metal skin in place. The muffler was still decent on the inside though. I would think for that kind of money there must be other options.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline gus

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 10:02:43 PM »
I had this same problem on my 4104 except that it has two mufflers which are a lot less expensive than yours.

I still didn't like the price and the fact that the stock mufflers are so big and heavy that they are very hard to get in and out of the small opening in the rear floor of the bus.

I finally found some much less expensive mufflers which were probably 20% smaller and welded up the pipes and flanges to fit. I can't tell any difference in the sound but I did notice that the new mufflers, which are less restrictive, didn't get nearly as hot as the originals.

In your case i would sure do more researching since you have the potential to save a bunch of bucks.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 10:14:16 AM »
Hi guys,

I going to attempt to reskin the muffler like Barn Owl did.  I'll try to post pictures of the process.

I got the impression from Luke that the shop making the muffler will be making just one to fill my order.  He said there is very little demand for them as the population of these older coaches dwindles.

I did go to Fleet Pride in an attempt to find some other setup.  They weren't even able to match the size of the flange on the exhaust manifold.

I don't have a Jake Brake but I do want to add one at some point.  Maybe I can find a used system.

Thanks for all the input!

Mark
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 10:26:04 AM »
Mark,

I have/had a small leak in the top of mine.

Since there is access to the top I was able to put a temporary fix in.

I am planning to drop mine in July or August and do a permanent fix and maybe beef up the whole thing.

Please post an update and pictures if you can.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal