Author Topic: How did you spend your New Years day?  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
How did you spend your New Years day?
« on: January 01, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »
I got up and went out and welded a plate over the hole in the airbeam. Gotta clean it up a little and then see it it is actually going to work or leak air past my welds.

With just a little luck and getting my lazy butt out in the cold I should be able to finally lay down the sub floor semi permanently fairly soon.
3/4" plywood as a base, 3/4" high density foam sandwiched next and finally 5/8" plywood for the top layer with all wood coated with urethane for protection.
This after fixing the rusted cross members over the bays, the hole in the airbeam, patching in new copper for the lines above the affected airbeam, fixing an air leak in one of the 3/4" copper lines, coating the exposed metal with POR-15 and putting down some fresh insulation in the sections by the airbeams and wheel wells where it's a bit deeper and can hold the extra insulation. Hopefully it will make it a bit more quiet and thermally comfortable. Oh, yeah, I still have to put in a new tunnel floor too.
This of course after old floor removal and nasty cleanup. YUCK!

It helps make the cold Winter pass!

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Hi yo silver

Re: How did you spend your New Years day?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 08:21:54 PM »
Yeah! That's it; nuthin' like a little welding project to warm you up on a cold winter day!  Good idea.
Dennis
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 04:17:47 AM »
I'm still stuck deep in structural steelwork on my bus - but having broken my angle grinder on New Year's Eve and not being able to buy a new one on New Year's Day, I instead spent the day learning how to use the router and router table I bought a couple of months ago. I had also previously bought some lengths of cherry hardwood and very expensive marine wood glue, and by the end of the day had produced the first length of timber moulding that will be used on the edges of all the furniture and around the windows etc in the bus - basically a three-inch diameter curve in cherry that looks quite sexy and will prevent there being any sharpe edges or corners in my interior. It will be a long time before the project gets to the stage where I am building furniture, but having satisfied myself that I can produce the mouldings helps the planning process a bit.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline tomhamrick

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 05:25:48 AM »
I replaced the tail lights on my Eagle with new LED lights.
Tom Hamrick
Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 06:09:06 AM »
I am in the process of insulating the floors, walls and ceiling.  I also secured some more building materials over the past weekend (some laminate flooring and tile).  Mechanically I purchased a set of brake chambers for the rear and 2 group 31 batteries.  I have alot of work I want to accomplish this year.
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

Dreamscape

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »
Tom,

How do you like the looks of the new LED'S? Would you please post a picture for those of us hungry to see.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline skihor

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 08:21:07 AM »
We were on our way back from a trip,(Denver-Portland,Or). Somewhere around Lymon,Wy we stopped for the nite in a KOA. Our Gen set quit on this trip and with the COLD temps we needed power fer recharge. Anyway all is well watched some DVR TV and rang in the New Year quietly. 4:00 AM and NO PROPANE. Back-up 30# bottle wasn't closed so it was empty as well. It's 22*F BELOW. Fire it up and go. (Thank God for the block heater). Drive one block and realise that the motor is heating up and no heat from it up front. I hadn't checked the Anti-Freeze freeze point. Run/shutdown, run/shutdown, TWO HOURS LATER we made it to the T/A Truck stop. (it was only 10 miles). They let us set in the shop for 1 hour to thaw out, but wouldn't do anything else.
Got back out on the freeway and the rads still had some frozen spots. Managed to go 40 MPH up to Little America. They removed 5 gallons and refilled with Cat. Red 50/50 antifreeze. That being finished we pulled around to the propane and filled. $2.99 a Gal.
After 7 hours+ without heat it was heaven. Water had long ago froze and stayed that way until this morning. I have two ducts from the furnace to keep the water + Related from freezing. Got back after dark so decided to pull in foward instead of turning around and backing in. 2 FOOT of snow where I park. Found my cord and pluged in, Plugged in the Sat dish and Trip's over/Life's good. Now this morning I have to clean 3000 some miles of Mag-Chloride/Snow crap/ Detroit leakage off of the Toad. Oh yeah, got the bus stuck, have to shovel it out.
With a start to the New Year like this the rest of the year HAS to be better...
We love this life and wouldn't trade it for love or money.

Happy New Year

Don & Sheila

Dallas

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 09:42:21 AM »
We were on our way back from a trip,(Denver-Portland,Or). Somewhere around Lymon,Wy we stopped for the nite in a KOA. Our Gen set quit on this trip and with the COLD temps we needed power fer recharge. Anyway all is well watched some DVR TV and rang in the New Year quietly. 4:00 AM and NO PROPANE. Back-up 30# bottle wasn't closed so it was empty as well. It's 22*F BELOW. Fire it up and go. (Thank God for the block heater). Drive one block and realise that the motor is heating up and no heat from it up front. I hadn't checked the Anti-Freeze freeze point. Run/shutdown, run/shutdown, TWO HOURS LATER we made it to the T/A Truck stop. (it was only 10 miles). They let us set in the shop for 1 hour to thaw out, but wouldn't do anything else.
Got back out on the freeway and the rads still had some frozen spots. Managed to go 40 MPH up to Little America. They removed 5 gallons and refilled with Cat. Red 50/50 antifreeze. That being finished we pulled around to the propane and filled. $2.99 a Gal.
After 7 hours+ without heat it was heaven. Water had long ago froze and stayed that way until this morning. I have two ducts from the furnace to keep the water + Related from freezing. Got back after dark so decided to pull in foward instead of turning around and backing in. 2 FOOT of snow where I park. Found my cord and pluged in, Plugged in the Sat dish and Trip's over/Life's good. Now this morning I have to clean 3000 some miles of Mag-Chloride/Snow crap/ Detroit leakage off of the Toad. Oh yeah, got the bus stuck, have to shovel it out.
With a start to the New Year like this the rest of the year HAS to be better...
We love this life and wouldn't trade it for love or money.

Happy New Year

Don & Sheila

Don,
Coulda been worse... nothing like laying on your back replacing a primary fuel filter at -20°F with a 20mph breeze blowing. Then getting out and finding the batteries have gone south.

See? It coulda been worse!  ;D

Offline Green-Hornet

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »
I had to work >:(
Yall need to be somewhere much warmer this time of year ;)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 02:09:59 PM »
Well it's too cold here to work on the bus, so here's what I did... well, I put the handle on today.

Also started a batch of rhubarb wine and watched a movie with my son.  It was a good day.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 02:40:37 PM »
Nursed my hangover, then went over and checked the voltage on the Crown's starting batteries which are charging/topping/floating? at around 1 amp.  Two 8D's.  13.2 volts.  About 28 degrees.  Everything else fine except my head.  :) :) :)

Offline superpickle

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 02:55:57 PM »
Went to bed at 8:00 new years eve and slept well till 6:00 am, then went out side and froze my patoot off and decide I didnt want to sit out there for coffee. came in and watched the Parade on TV, then went to Waklly World for some food and stuff.. Home for more TV , a Nap, ****  ****, then more Nap..  ;D

Dinner and a walk with Fuddly and Carol.. More nap..  :-*
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 05:56:40 AM »
Rained most of the morning, but we spent the day telling everyone goodbye as they left Bussin' 2008. Several opted to stay at the rally site for an extra night with us and not drive in the rain.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 08:07:54 AM »
Worked on the new dually trk, got some things it needed fixed and added a few new personal touches! Watched a little TV, went out and ate, came home went to bed! Oh yeah, I got outta the Iowa trip as the group called at the last minute and requested the smaller bus to save some $! So mom & dad are in IA with the Romney supporters, and I saw mom on Good Morning America this AM!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Green-Hornet

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 09:53:15 AM »
Wow Gumpy...Rhubarb wine! Sounds good. Never tried that before..Is it really tart?

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »
It's not too bad. I'm probably not the best judge as this is a relatively new hobby for me, so the couple batches of it I've done were probably not the best to judge by (actually, the first batch I made, which was my first batch of wine ever, was pretty bad, but the second is not too bad). I'll be watching this one closely, as I did some things a bit different on it. I froze the rhubarb last summer, and then used sugar to extract the juice as it thawed. Then, I pressed the pulp to get every last bit of liquid from it so consequently, I started with about 3 gallons of pure rhubarb juice (from 18 lbs rhubarb and 12 1/2 lbs sugar), which I then diluted to about 5 1/2 gallons of wine must. I then chopped up 3 boxes of golden raisins and added to the must. Alcohol should be about 13% when finished. It had a really nice rhubarby flavor before I started fermentation. So we'll see in about 4 months.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Dallas

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 03:59:41 PM »
Hmmm, Rhubarb wine in Minnesota...

Well, it does have to smell better than the neighbors who are making ludefisck.

I'll bet dollars to donuts it tastes about a thousand times better too!  ;D

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »
Hmmm, Rhubarb wine in Minnesota...

Well, it does have to smell better than the neighbors who are making ludefisck.

I'll bet dollars to donuts it tastes about a thousand times better too!  ;D

Dallas you are right on this one worst stuff I ever tasted when I was in Norway last year

Offline tomhamrick

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 06:55:07 AM »
HI Paul,  I have one more light to install, which is a story in itself. Once I get it installed I will take pictures and share them. The ones I have on look good!!!!
Tom Hamrick
1984 Eagle 10S
Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal