Author Topic: correct oil level in a 8V71 (T-drive)  (Read 6518 times)

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
correct oil level in a 8V71 (T-drive)
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
I was told once upon a time, but I've slept since then . . .  :o

What is the correct level as measured from the block oil pan rail?
(I seem to remember 1" below, is that right?)

The question came up because a friend is trying to get a dip stick for his bus (it came in parts & pieces & we don't want to take a chance on the wrong oil level.)

Thanks!
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline NJT5047

Re: correct oil level in a 8V71 (T-drive)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 06:46:05 PM »
Oopsie...I told Jack to come up down and 'borrow' one of your dipsticks!   ::)
Regarding your question, seems as though one inch below the pan gasket sounds right.
You don't have a dipstick in any of your buses? Measure one.
Too cold to dink with it right now!~  :o
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 07:30:38 PM »
I had a problem with a 440 in a S&S many years ago.  I am smarter now than then.  I mentioned to a friend that "my" 440 took 11 quarts after a change.  He laughed and said they take only 5 or seven or whatever it was.  I showed him my dipstick and it was on "full" and I had just dumped in 11 quarts.  He pointed out that "my" dipstick was a cluge done by Winniebago to allow me to check the level from out front and was really a metal tube and a rubber connecting hose and a cable for the dipstick.  he told me that my tube had not been pushed into the rubber far enough before the clamp was tightened when they replaced my engine.  The fix was to drain and refill with the correct amt of oil and then "ADJUST THE DIP STICK" to read full at that correct level. My oil consumption and MPG went up after that.  I figured it had an increased capacity due to it being a "HD 440" from a truck.  Oh well.

ET U BRUTE?(sic)

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 09:52:34 PM »
Kyle -

Yup, you've got it right.

One inch below the block/oil pan interface is where the "full" mark should be.

"Add" mark is one inch below the "Full" mark, IIRC.

Doesn't make any difference if it's a T-drive or a V-drive, measurement's the same.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 05:48:33 AM »
So, the DipStick is missing his dip stick  :o  no real news there  ;)

JR, there have been so many band-aids & crap fixes done to my buses that I trust nothing if I can't verify it. I'd like to not repeat JohnEd's experience, or worse & loose the motor due to low oil. . . .

BTW, if a remote oil cooler is used, it's a PITA to determine how much oil it takes.

Thanks Russ, we'll proceede with caution in making the new dip stick.  ;D

Dallas

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 06:17:22 AM »
Kyle,

If you can get a correct engine number for the one you need the stick for, I can give you the correct part number for the dipstick. This also presupposes that the oil pan is original to the engine.

If you have an oil pan part number I can also give you the correct dipstick part number, most likely.

IHTH
Dallas

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 07:15:22 AM »
The right part # is only as good as the available inventory.  :o

Now that you mention it, where does one find the engine # & oil pan #?

Inquring minds want to know  ;D

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:57:25 AM »
Kyle -

The engine model & serial number should be stamped on a flat machined surface above the air box inspection plates and below the heads.  IIRC, it's not directly above the plates, but slightly to the left.

Can't remember if it's on the driver side LF corner or passenger side RR corner, but it's probably buried under a layer of gunk, so you may have to do a little power washing or scraping to find it.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 08:19:16 AM »
Kyle, check your valve covers for a group tag if hasn't been removed it will tell everything about the engine you need with the group numbers.

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 09:07:36 AM »
Kyle, check your valve covers for a group tag if hasn't been removed it will tell everything about the engine you need with the group numbers.

I was afraid you'd say that. The valve covers are too easily replaced for me to trust them, but it is a start  8)

I know if I measure 1" down from the pan rail that will be the correct level regardless of what has been changed in the past.

Thanks all!

Offline RickBrown

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »
Dipstick aside, when do you measure the oil level? When stopped and the accessories drained back into the pan, or when running and a collection of accessories satisfied for their need of oil? I am inclined to believe when running because the guy who made the dipstick didn't know what your external need for oil is.
Your thoughts?
-RickBrown in Reno, NV

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »
You check it when it's dead cold pre-start, and it should be low on the dip stick.  You check it when it's hot and has sat for 10 - 15 minutes, it should be higher on the dip stick.  Checking it when it's running is a total waste of time, the dipstick is in the splash of the oil off the crank.  What you do is check it on some kind of consistent basis so you learn what to expect based on your routine and your engine, and then you look for changes.  You learn to compensate for the natural incline in about every parking pad, some tilt one way some the other, and you learn to anticipate.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline RickBrown

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »
My engine is an 8v71 and the dipstick gives consistent readings when the engine is running. In one test the oil measured at 1" on the stick (slightly above 'low') when the engine is running and 5" (3" above 'full') 24 hours later.
Here is another question: If you add an oil cooler that passes one gal of oil through its coils when the engine is running and drains back into the pan when not, then how do you account for that extra demand for oil when you measure its level?
This goes back to the argument that the guy who made the dipstick probably didn't know what was going to be hung on your engine.
-Rick

Offline TomC

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 07:39:54 AM »
I believe most low profile 8V-71 oil pans are 6 gallon. Drain the oil, then put in 5 gallons, mark the dip stick. Put the last gallon in, mark the dipstick. You should also pre fill the oil filter when you install it on the engine-that takes another 3-4 quarts. If you have a bypass oil filter, another gallon or so. You'll learn how much actual oil your engine takes after the first oil change. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 08:26:18 AM »
 FYI..... :)
correct oil level in a 8V71 (T-drive)

« on: January 02, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal