Author Topic: Induction Cook Tops (a womans view)  (Read 7586 times)

ladyEagle

Induction Cook Tops (a womans view)
« on: January 04, 2008, 06:47:51 PM »
Fellows I have had an induction cook top in my home for 3 years its a top with 2 electric burners and 2 induction type and i can not remember the last time I used the electric part the induction is the best cooking surface I ever used.(Waiting for the new one for the bus)

H3JIM wrote about the inconvenience of special cook ware that is a true blessing for your health because

1  aluminum has been proved to be a major factor in Altzimers (no I do not sell cookware)

2 Teflon is so bad that it is being banned from cookware (where do you think the Teflon goes that comes off the pan)

If you guys do research you will find out why some beer companies are coating the insides of the cans.I told my husband about Keystone beer having this can but he will not drink it so i buy him miller in bottles.This will be a law in the near future 2010 that all aluminum cans be coated on the inside.

I know my beloved husband will not be the only one to try this (its a male thing) but if you buy a induction cook top please cut the top out of the can before you try to heat the pork n beans or soup on the induction top and you will not have to repaint your kitchen.

It is a great cook top use stainless or cast iron cookware and it works well  and if you eat and drink healthy you will be around to help us spend your hard earned money    Have a good evening and hope I didn't offend any one

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
Re: Induction Cook Tops (a womans view)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:54:30 PM »
Thanks,  good to hear a real report,  Didn't know you could use stainless,

Any idea how many amps it uses?
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »
Good info, I'm looking into them myself.

I wish mine referred to me with a preface of beloved instead of what she usually uses.  ;D
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

ladyEagle

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 07:04:21 PM »
newbeeMc9 

I do not know about amps but the portable one I have uses 1500W max on high power which i never use on high

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »
Ladyeagle,

Thanks for the heads up!

But, I need more info & I am man enough to admit it!!  ;D

I have learned after 40 years of marriage that I am just a man!  ;D ;D

Is there more than one kind of this range? If so, which one do I buy & why? Do they also make induction ovens? Should I buy one of those also? Can we still cook in cast iron? Are there any other mistakes I can make?

Thanks!!  TOM

BTY, the reason I ask questions is I have already made the mistake of buying what I THOUGHT my wife wanted!  ;D ;D
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Dallas

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »
To follow up on Tom's post,

Here is "The Mans Prayer" from Red Greene

Let's all say it together...

I am a man.

But I can change,

If I have too.

I guess.

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 08:39:20 PM »
I got one for use in the bus and tried the stainless and worked very well. It works gaster than gas puts out no heat but will heat the pan well enough to burn the food on lower settings. I think it's great and use it all the time. and I am a man? Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 09:49:57 PM »

1  aluminum has been proved to be a major factor in Altzimers (no I do not sell cookware)

2 Teflon is so bad that it is being banned from cookware (where do you think the Teflon goes that comes off the pan)

3 If you guys do research you will find out why some beer companies are coating the insides of the cans.I told my husband about Keystone beer having this can but he will not drink it so i buy him miller in bottles.This will be a law in the near future 2010 that all aluminum cans be coated on the inside.

Lady Eagle -

Nah, you didn't offend anyone.  Sorta created a challenge, tho!  Some research on your comments comes up with the following:

1> Aluminum cookware & Alzheimer's:

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/valentino.asp

Last paragraph addresses this, as does the additional link at the bottom of the page.

2>  Teflon cookware

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/06/consumer_report_1.php

3>  Aluminum Can Coating

FYI, ALL aluminum beverage cans are coated inside with an FDA-approved polymeric formula to protect the can itself from the contents inside.  See:

http://www.cancentral.com/canc/nontext/manuf.htm

Further research on this coating finds that it is virtually impervious to everything but a very thick surfuric acid bath, as is the inks used on the outside label.  IOW, it won't come off the can once it's been applied in the manufacturing process.

As for the Keystone coating, according to Coors, the manufacturer, that was simply a marketing tool for this low-price brew.  Couldn't find anything about a 2010 law, tho I tried. . .

Isn't the internet useful?

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

ladyEagle

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 03:51:53 AM »
Yes, Russ the internet is useful you can find any answer one would like to find  but may I suggest Medical sites for your reading along with the AMJ,BMJ,and major medical collages studies and testing 

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 05:25:15 AM »
I had forgotten Red Greene's prayer but maintain the principles everyday!!

Can I still use cast iron to cook in?

I am assuming (almost always a mistake!) these appliances are 110 volt as you folks are using them in buses.

TOM
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

ladyEagle

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 05:36:02 AM »
yes Tom you can use cast iron it works great with it, my portable unit uses 110 but I do not know about the one in the house

We bought our cooktop in the home from EXPO a division of Home Depot and you can buy the portables at major chain store's

I have never saw a induction oven

word of advice take your wife she will love these

the price of the portable depends on its features and wattage

I read that the induction cooking is a 1930s technology so its been around a long time (thought I would give that info to you)

Tom  go to the Vita Craft web site www.vitacraft.com   they try to sell over priced cookware that you do not need  but do have one of the better portable cooktops

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 06:41:12 AM »
These induction cooktops love cast iron but careful with thin steel pots as they really get hot too fast. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

ladyEagle

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 07:01:08 AM »
Jerry32 you are 100% correct on using good pans what brand is your portable the one I have is a vita craft brand with 5 setting and will turn it's self off when the pan gets to hot

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 08:06:33 AM »
Thanks!

I also found this site:

http://theinductionsite.com/

TOM
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 08:49:15 AM »
Tom,
  Ya beat me to it. That is the site I was going to reccomend.

Now, I may have to start another thread here, but I wonder if they could come up with an induction water heater?? Seems feasible and apparently, the cook tops don't use a whole lot of energy.

Just a thought,
      Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal