Author Topic: Dumb question by me #1000,000,000  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
Dumb question by me #1000,000,000
« on: January 13, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
When I got my bus it hadn't had a whole lot of exercise for a while and I noticed that the throttle pedal seemed a bit stiff and the throttle occasionally would stick slightly open. Not enough to scare me but enough to notice, it would be a little slow to drop all the way down to idle unless you pulled back a bit on the pedal. It liked to stick just a little above idle though it eventually began coming down.
After driving it a bit it seemed to loosen up a little but I've meant to ask, how can I make sure it's ok and not headed for any troubles?
Isn't it a rod linkage all the way back? If so I'd assume there are grease points??
What should I look at and where? Any adjustments? What specs?

-Dave
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Re: Dumb question by me #1000,000,000
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 06:27:42 PM »
Dave, my Scenicruiser manual shows well over 100 grease zerks, I haven't counted but I would imagine a half dozen or so are on the rods and such that make it move.  (I haven't gotten under it yet.)
I would find out where all of them are, (And what they are for.)
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline compedgemarine

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 07:11:38 PM »
dont know the setup on yours but on my Eagle it still has the old linkage setup with 10 bellcranks, 30 heim joints and a few dozen bearings. it is getting stiffer everyday and I am getting ready to convert it to a morse cable. if yours is anything like mine it is probably dry and rusted and short of replacing all the joints and bearings it will probably never last with greasing. A friend with one like mine tried over and over on his and after a short time it would get stiff again.
steve

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 07:51:11 PM »
We took one trip with the old throttle.  Leg pain set in after the first hour.  Agony set in after eight hours. We now have an air throttle.  Best money we spent and an easy DIY.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:36:20 PM »
We took one trip with the old throttle.  Leg pain set in after the first hour.  Agony set in after eight hours. We now have an air throttle.  Best money we spent and an easy DIY.

Don and Cary
GMC4107

Tell me more, how does it work etc??
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 09:37:48 PM »
I have the air throttle on mine, and is light on the pedal pressure.  Before I installed the King Cruise, I could easily go all day without leg pain.  Now with the King Cruise (it is in front and simply just pulls down on the gas pedal since the auto trans throttle position sensor works off the air pressure too) it is a real pleasure to drive.  I highly recommend the air throttle-it does have some lag time, but you get used to it and just push the pedal down a little sooner.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 10:09:13 PM »
Who sells them? how much? Do it yourself install? Difficulty?
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 10:26:24 PM »
Try NIMCO, they probably have good used take-outs. They stand behind what they sell, and from my experience, are great to work with. The PO put one on my bus and it looks to be a fairly easy DIY job. I haven't noticed much of a delay but I will check the next time I go out for curiosity sake. With the auto it works well, and as stated before, light as a feather.

NIMCO link:

http://www.nimcobus.com/
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:11:50 AM »
   Most difficult part is running a 3/8" air line (use nylon DOT tubing) from the front to the rear of the bus. A throttle pedal assembly is installed at driver's position. The assembly has an  air supply line to it from the accessory air tank under the driver's area. A air line to the engine compartment and an exhaust line into the spare tire compartment (or through the spare tire compartment floor, your choice)). In the engine compartment, there is an actuator installed on top of the governor. If you have an automatic, you need to change the modulator to an air modulator (simply chore, remove 1 bolt). When you install the tee in the line in the engine compartment, make sure the lines to the actuator and the modulator are the same length.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Stan

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 05:24:27 AM »
When I installed a Williams Air Throttle, the instructions recommended a 3/8" line from front to back because the air pot on the governor has to exhaust back through the foot control. 1/4" line causes a long delay and is especially troublesome when shifting a manual transmission. The opposite effect is also true and too big a line causes a delay when you push on the pedal.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 05:28:37 AM »
OOPS! Typo on my part. Reminder to Self "Do Not Type Before Finishing Coffee!"  Stan is correct, the line from the front to rear should be 3/8".  Stan, thanks for catching my typo. I do not want to pass on incorrect information.  Jack
PS: I corrected my previous post
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 08:18:43 AM »
Paladin, here's an earlier thread that also discussed air throttles, I hope the link works.  The issue I had (granted, multiple decades ago) with air throttles was an issue with manual transmissions.  If you have a stick, I discussed my experience in the referenced thread.  If you have an automatic, then, as Emily Littella said ----- "never mind."   

=http://p://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=6082.0

Arthur
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline gus

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 10:05:35 AM »
When I got my 4104 the foot throttle was stiff. I soon decided it was from very old and stiff grease so I squirted penetrating oil on everything I could reach. Then I squirted everything all over again with aircraft anti-corrosion oil. It has given me no more trouble.

The hand throttle was locked by rust. I took it completely off since it is short, removed, cleaned and lubed the wire inside the sheath and it works like new. I use this hand throttle for a cruise control and it works great. It does not lock in place, it stays by friction so is easy to push in.

I have learned over time just about which settings will give what speeds, saves a lot of over-throttling on the foot throttle.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal