Author Topic: barrett jackson  (Read 7725 times)

Offline Reddog

• 1990 Thomas "Hormone Derange" Gunnison, Colorado
  • 1990 Thomas Transitliner, 8.3 Cummins/Allison Auto
    • Dog Bus site
Re: barrett jackson
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 07:03:47 AM »
I think the economy has to be a factor, but isn't it possible that the over inflated prices we have seen for the last few years are finally being reigned in? I know that many of the cars on the BJ are one-off collector pieces, but many of these "tribute" cars (read:clones) have been bringing far more money than it would cost to build them. A restored Cord or Dusenberg is one thing, very limited production and scarcity of parts to restore with a definite factor making them very valuable, but a 70 SS Chevelle "tribute" bringing 50K? Lots of Malibus were made, replacement parts available from lots of suppliers, the high prices had to finally come into check.
  I had 5 vintage Minis I sold not too long after the remake of "The Italian Job" came out. I did well on them as Minis rode a wave of popularity as a result of the Movies success. "Gone in 50 Seconds" did it for the "Eleanor" mustang, as did "Bullet" (Ford is releasing another "Bullet" tribute car". "Dukes of Hazard" brought the Charger back into the spotlight. You get what I'm saying.
  I think there is evidence to support the theory that collecttable cars have always been a good investment. They are a safe place to store some savings, and you can drive them to boot. But paying too much for anything is not good sense. Seems like those who can have seen that the prices have been inflated for a few years and are not buying into the feeding frenzy this year.
  Now, if a blockbuster movie would just come out about a cool guy who drives a Thomas Built bus that saves the world and gets the beautiful babe, I'll be set to get the funding for my next project....
Doug
"If people don't stare and point as you drive by, keep working."

Offline tekebird

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 07:08:52 AM »
I don;t think the clone car prices are out of line.....a correctly one done often will cost more than what theya re bringing at BJ........if of course you are using the correct parts......

Offline Reddog

• Dog Bus site
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »
If you pay someone else to do alot of the work. I think if you buy the donor car right and do most of the project yourself, you would come out ahead $$$ wise. D

Offline tekebird

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 09:40:47 AM »
paying someone to  do it and actully recouping that money would                    bump the price up considerably.

if you have not looked at even high end repro part costs lately it will open your eyes.

I would bet a true high quality ground up restoration/clone would cost you near the price of some of those clones not even accounting for your labor.

most of these cars are so close to real ones that only your very knowledgable could even tell they are clones.....definitly a far cry nicer than most of the local garage restorations around, ( which I have seen some very nice ones.)

In fact I saw some clones last year that brough a fair ammount more than so so  condition real ones

Offline Reddog

• Dog Bus site
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 09:50:03 AM »
I would agree that the quality of the workmanship is the key to what these cars bring, regardless of if they are authentic or clones. I sold a 70 SS454 Chevelle a couple years ago that I could not document if it came out of the box as a SS or not. It was a NICE car, but did not bring really big bucks because I didn't have a build sheet. Of course, in 1970, a SS was just an option package that was not attatched to the VIN, even the  stripes had an option code. That said, who's to say that there is a big difference in value if the car came from the factory with a big block and bucket seats, or if someone changed tham out as if it came that way? Engine upgrades seem to increase bus value frequently...if done correctly!
Doug

Offline tekebird

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 10:46:48 AM »
If done correctly is the issue: You almost have to take someone for their word on that unless they give you plently of test drive time.

I am suspect of anyone who does a motor replacement/upgrade and then   turns around ands sells it. There are alot of them.....I would suspect engine/trans cooling issues on these.

there heave been   quite a few nice coaches as well as seated buses that I did not consider even going to looka t because of an engine upgrade/transplant......most of these were even more strongly  consided a non option after communication with a wahoo seller

Offline belfert

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 08:08:16 PM »
The supply and demand on some of these cars is probably getting back into balance which is pushing down prices.  The collectors who could afford $400,000 probably already bought a car for their collection.

I also suspect everyone has been beating the bushes looking for these cars to sell so the supply is probably up.

Of course, there are still cars that only one or two ever existed so there is no supply/demand issues.  The highest selling car this year wasn't even close to the past three years.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 08:34:24 PM »
I am suspect of anyone who does a motor replacement/upgrade and then   turns around ands sells it. There are alot of them.....I would suspect engine/trans cooling issues on these.

While it does pay to be cautious, there are many other reasons to sell a car with a fresh engine rebuild.
One reason was I was simply bored with it & needed the $$$ & garage space for the next project. A # matching '68 4spd SS396 chevelle (should've kept that one  :'( ).

Another was a nice street sleeper '82 cutlass supreme that did the 1/8 mile @ 100+ mph in 7.20sec. I would have hurt myself if I'd kept that one much longer, fun while I had it tho . . . .

Then there was the '69 SS396 chevelle that I sold due to job instability issues. That's the one I regret selling the most, it will cost me 10x what I sold it for to get another.

So, not every seller is a con artist looking to scam everyone, some of us just don't think that way.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline tekebird

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 04:07:56 PM »
kyle, I was refering to buses with fresh repowers being sold.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal