Author Topic: Water pump flow.  (Read 2423 times)

Offline steve5B

Water pump flow.
« on: January 17, 2008, 06:35:35 AM »

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know the flow (G.P.M.) the water pump of a 8V-92 puts out?  I need to know to purchase a water to water heat exchanger to keep my Bio-diesel tank warm.

Thanks for any impute.

Steve  5B..........
WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"

Offline Lee Bradley

Re: Water pump flow.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:15:49 AM »
Do you plan on having the full water flow through the heat exchanger?  That flow is controlled by the thermostats. Maybe use use one of the heater taps. The heater taps have a flow all the time the engine is running. Just a thought.

Offline steve5B

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 01:09:53 PM »

Hi Lee,

At this time I do plan having the water flow through a flat plat exchanger or coil, whatever puts out the highest amount of
   heat.

Steve 5B..........

Sojourner

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 01:58:26 PM »
About GPM of engine pump….no….I do know that all engine’s pump gasoline & diesel are design only for cooling system that it’s design for…no more or less. You will notice marine have external pump as well engine pump to supply positive source of flow regardless of water intake pressure. Your case to heat BIO fuel tank may be similar as transit buses in regard amount of heat loss from opening & closing passenger doors. It all depend how much BTU you need per hour as compare to heat loss from tank. Insulate tank & fuel line will probably be sufficient with just engine pump. But better still with a optional transit bus’s pump 12v or 24v will give the guarantee flow you need.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 03:56:16 PM »
I looked in my Series 92 Service Manual (2 books) and no flow rate or pressure.

It shows the 6V and the 8V as the same pump. It also show the difference between the original and the new pump.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 08:52:39 PM »
I have wondered why the people that have longstanding overheat problems don't find a way to measure their flow so they could eliminate restriction as a possible problem cause/contributing factor.  To me it seems fundamentle and I don't mean to hurt feelings cause you guys are so far ahead of me I ain't even on the same playing field.....almost always.  Recently a member emailed me a pic of his new "FLOW METER".  They have those and they aren't all that spendy.  How much flow?  I think a radiator mfr would be able to spec his radiator in KW or BTU's or degree drop AND HE WOULD KNOW WHAT COOLANT FLOW SUPPORTED THOSE FIGURES as well as WHAT AIR FLOW.  Those are caps cause I think it is important to know that the answer is out there.  Many have mentioned doing business with rad mfr.s and which and how big was something that was speced to them.  Somewhere in DD there is a nerd that can answer this but they don't usually let the general public see these people let alone talk to the maverics.  I think DD is a dry well but those rad mfr.s should be able to help.  If anybody has this info or has a contact....please post it.  I want it, for sure.

Thanks,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 06:40:32 AM »
Steve,
  It was my impression that you don't need to heat Bio-diesel. You use it like Dino-diesel. But if you are going to use WVO or SVO then you have to heat it.
  Just curious,
      Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline steve5B

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 05:43:01 PM »

Hey Chaz,

Even bio-diesel in these TEMPS has to be heated if it's not mixed with regular Diesel because of the pour point and cloud point.

Also I'm talking B-100.  What I wanted to do originally is to run the engine coolant through a flat plat exchanger while running down the road, and switch when it got to around 160 degrees!

Talk at you later!

Steve 5B........

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal