Author Topic: mig welder  (Read 5079 times)

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
Re: mig welder
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 08:19:41 AM »
Here is one i learned about in the 4x4 world.  Some people carried them for field repairs.  If you already have a 24v bus or system,  may be an oppurtunity.

will weld up to 1/2" and is aluminum gun too.

http://www.readywelder.com/products.htm

I've not used these but was hoping maybe some one would bitre the bullet and give us feedback.

there are other brands too

good luck and tell us what you decide

ps.  here too, http://www.offroaders.com/directory/products/Mobi-Arc-Onboard-Welder.htm
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 08:07:22 PM »
I have heard of those devices you linked being used with good results, although I have never seen one.

I had a welding instructor who told us that he had made an emergency field repair by hooking up welding leads to batteries. That would make for some very crude DC welding. You would have to control your heat by varying your arc length. I have no way of knowing if he was full of BS but if DC current is all you need then it should be possible.  If anyone ever tries it, make sure you are as far away from your batteries as practical.

I’m not sure why everyone is so crazy about using gas with your mig welders. I am required to weld on a regular basis for my employer and have all types of machines available. I always prefer the flux over anything else. I know it throws some splatter that you don’t get with the gas but big deal, for what we are doing just brush it off. I have a very inexpensive 110v unit for home with a gas setup and guess what? I don’t use the gas and keep it loaded with the flux core. I wrote about some of the disadvantages of using gas in that thread I linked to. I’m not saying that gas doesn’t have its place but it’s not worth the extra expense for home use if you ask me. Use the money you save and get an auto-darkening helmet. It’s one of the best things ever invented for a novice welder. Also buy good quality fresh wire, I speak from experience.

Good luck,

Laryn
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline cyclepsycho

• Cyclepsycho Motorcycle Recycling
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 04:55:07 PM »
I've had several welders here at the motorcycle shop.  I currently have a 220V Lincoln Weld-Pac 140, and some old Hobart monster I traded for a fuel tank.  Both are wire feed with gas bottle.  Both work very well for what I use them for.  I also have a oxy/acetyle rig that I use for cutting and also for more delicate sheet metal work.  Oh, and I still have an old Miller Thunderbolt stick welder at the house.  You could weld a bridge with that puppy.

The modern wire feed welders from Lincoln and Hobart are good units.  Try and stick with a 220V if you can, as the duty cycle and capability is better.  You'll want to spend the extra money on a gas bottle and regulator.  It's well worth it and can turn a 12 year old girl into a good welder with a little practice.

The self darkening helmets are a plus too, especially for a beginer.  You can concentrate on the work and not worry about flipping the helmet up and down.

If all else fails, you can always use a car battery and a coat hanger............
Love means never having to say you're sober....

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 05:28:13 PM »
Every thing you've been told is great info.

I have an old Miller 110 V mig and it works great. I never pay any attention to the duty cycle.

I've welded with a Lincoln at work and was impressed. It was a great little machine.

The wire is the issue I really wanted to talk about. I bought a roll at Harbor Freight and it was a mistake. I used it up on a steel building just to get rid of it.

Buy your welding wire at a welding supply dealer.  I'm currently using wire I bought at Lowes and it's good wire.

And the best dollar you can spend is on an auto-darkening hood.I love mine, it is battery powered and I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now on the original batteries. Some are solar powered and probably would be worth buying. Mine is a Western Safety and came from Harbor Freight.

Check Ebay there are some good deals on hoods there.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal