Author Topic: Well I did it!! I purchased my project for the next few years.  (Read 3569 times)

Offline hargreaves

• 1987 MCI 102A3
 I just did the deed. I purchased a 1997 MCI 102A3 .Thought it was a C3 ,  but thats OK.  I'll probably be on this board a lot. You see I converted a city bus  about four years ago( 1972 Flyer D700 ) yes you read it right. They only made this model for two years.  a real bear to get windshields. I had a lot of fun but  being a city bus it had its drawbacks IE: wheel wells, no baggage compartments etc. 

I have always liked the MCI's so now its a reality. The other half ( she says the better half ) already wants me to put in a slide out. Can this be done with the structure on this particular coach?  This coach has a five speed. I don't mind shifting but are there any problems associated with standards as opposed to automatics?  I guess there is no market for the seats and baggage compartments. Any comments would be appreciated. thanks, Gerry.

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Well I did it!! I purchased my project for the next few years.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 06:00:03 PM »
Hi Gerry,

Congrats! & Welcome!

I wish you lots of luck and don't forget to ask lots of questions... Thats why we are here.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 06:00:45 PM »
Welcome!
Now, we want pics!!  ;D

I am far from an expert but I heard that slides on an MCI are a no no although I've seen them.

-Dave

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 06:48:16 PM »
Gerry, You may want to try to sell the seats if they are nice. I bought an older bus (80) so mine went to the auto junk yard. They threw them in cars when they crushed them. I have seen them sell on Ebay.  Good Luck  Tom Y 
Tom Yaegle

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:16:12 PM »
If the seats are nice, there is definitely a market for them.  I have a 1995 H3-41, and I sold my seats.  I think the seat upphlsterer / reseller STOLE them, but I got  few bucks and they came and picked them up.  The key is if there are still revenue coaches that use those identical seats, and if they are in good shape.   Thats pretty much the only market for takeout seats. If its there you can get good $, if not, its the junk heap, or at best you'll have some pretty cool 2 seat couches all over your house and grounds.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline superpickle

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:32:20 PM »
and the Pics are ??  Where   ???
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 07:58:29 PM »
I have seen slide outs on every type of bus-so it's possible-just with the right engineering.  The only real issue with the 5 spd manual, or any manual for that matter is to have the clutch properly adjusted to both have the clutch brake work (if equipped) and to have the proper amount of top pedal free play to keep the throw out bearing from burning up.  Personally, would spend the approximately $10,000 to have a HT740 Allison automatic installed-it makes for a totally different bus and much more relaxed driving experience-and this from an ex truck driver that only drove 13 spds for 1.3 million miles over 21 years of over the road driving. 

You picked a great bus.  Granted the C3 would be nice with the extra 3 inches of headroom, but having a 102 inch wide bus is the most important.  I also converted a Transit- a AMGeneral 10240B which is a cousin of the Flyer D800.  I love the bus, but under storage is limited-although I carry all I need to carry and still have lots of room both under the floor and in the bus left over.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline hargreaves

• 1987 MCI 102A3
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 08:28:18 PM »
I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how to do it. lol
now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia

Offline redbus

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 08:43:12 PM »
I've got a slide in a 9 works great.
Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 04:56:43 AM »
Welcome to the world of bus ownership.  We look forward to your keeping us posted on the progress you are making.  They say there are no stupid questions but I think there is ONE.  That question is "why didn't I ask BEFORE I tried that".  LOL  Tell your wife she is welcome to join us also. She might have questions about the  bus that she would like to ask and we would all be happy to do what we can to help her.
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal