Author Topic: headlight upgrades  (Read 4154 times)

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
headlight upgrades
« on: January 19, 2008, 06:22:49 PM »
What does everyone use for headlights?

I have the stock 4 rectangular ones, and they are quite dim.  Of course I have xenons on my car so by comparison everything seems dim, but when driving the bus, it seems like the lights aren't even on sometimes.  I rarely drive the bus at night, but it would be nice to be able to see better when I do.

Any suggestions on what is the best route to go for upgrades?
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline gomer

Re: headlight upgrades
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:34:45 PM »
Jim,  I don't know how dim, dim is, but it sounds like you may have a bad ground.  Check the brightness when you are at low beam and then on high beams.  If the lights do in fact go dimmer then you do have a bad ground and I would re-do all the grounds around the lights, that would mean putting new terminal ends and cleaning the posts where connected.  While you are in there check ALL connections as this may save you a lot a problems later, especially when you hit the dimmer switch and everything goes out.  That is not fun when you are going 70 on the big roads.
Gomer       
as you slid down the banister of life,may the splnters point the other way
TRUST IN GOD ALWAYS. riverjordanmusic@aim.com
Gomer

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 06:46:50 PM »
Hi Jim,

2 years ago when Rich L. was still at IBP, they were working on headlight conversions for MCI, Eagle and Prevost.

It won't hurt to give a call and find out...

http://www.1800intlbus.com/home

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 07:17:54 PM »
Jim -

Check out Ian's BBS.  When you get on the Board, scroll down to "7 inch headlights for a Sportscoach".  There was a rather lengthy discussion about this issue just a couple weeks ago.

Also, you can do a search on this board, as it's been cussed and discussed several times.  Almost, but not quite as much as which oil to use in a two-stroke!   ;D

OTOH, if you want the Cliff's Notes version of the Reader's Digest version, then simply pull out your plastic money on Monday and order a complete set of headlamps from here:

www.cibieusa.com

I've used these lamps for 40 years, well worth the investment.

My mantra:  What price SAFETY when it comes to lighting?

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 07:40:32 PM »
Hi Jim.  We had a pretty good thread going on the same subject a while back, but it was partly lost by a subject listing that was not clear (later corrected).  The thread is:  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=6837.0

The first thing I would do is to install headlight relays and a good ground system.  On Eagles, the headlights go through a fuse system that does not have good connections and the high wattage of headlights makes the situation worse.  I used some commonly available Bosch type relays (one for bright and one for dim).  I powered the relays of the main supply to the front via a 40 amp breaker and number 10 wire.  I have not had to drive at night yet, but it sure seemed to make a difference.

The next thing I would do is to visit:  http://www.danielsternlighting.com/.  This is an excellent site with good information.  You will find that European technology is much better than USA in terms of optics of the reflector.  As has been pointed out, Cibie is the recognized leader in this technology.  Their product is quite expensive, but I felt it was worth the cost.  I have ordered the CSR for my small dual lights (wanted to keep that look on the Eagle).  They are backordered, and I can't wait to get them.  I will have to wait to get them until we get home in March.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Sojourner

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 08:47:26 PM »
About checking for weak connection or power...DVM to read voltage a seal-beam's plug end...if less than .5 volt than source then either weak or frayed wire and/or grounding is not in full contact. If wire frayed at terminal ends...resplice with new terminal end and spray "red" sticky battery terminal protector after plug on. Even if you plan to change for brighter still, you need to check all of the driving lights wire for aging & road vibration and climate condition or weathering. With lights on & engine charging in fast idle...hand or finger touch at all of its circuit for warmer spots....very warm or hot mean power loss equal high resistant.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.

I think my wiring is ok, its just the low wattage us style bulbs. Probably need to be re aimed too.

JIm, I had seen the start of that topic on headlights, but then didn't keep reading the updates as more posts were added that morphed the converssation into exacttly what I was looking for.  sorry then for  the duplicate question.  It looks like you have returned the favor to me - I got you hooked on the battery monitors, you got me hooked on the Silverleaf Engine monitoring system and now these headlights....:O)

Looks like Cibie is the way to go.

Is the best place to buy them at the Daniel stern website? He sure is a lot cheaper than the Aardvark site.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 10:11:46 PM »
Jim,

Do what RV-Safetyman said....DanielStern.  I am having a running conversation with DS and he has more good data about lighting than any source I have ever questioned.  Really knowledgable guy and friendly.  My problem is how to buy things from him that might be some payback for all his help.  He is a source of EUROPEAN versions of OEM stuff that you can't buy here.  Their lighting is sooooo much better.

Ask DS and confirm that the little square lights are a loosing proposition.  Convert to rounds, 5 or 7.  Get decent yellow fogs while you are at it.

HTH,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline TomC

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 11:39:31 PM »
Switch to the halogen versions.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 10:34:48 AM »

Switch to the halogen versions.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom -

Switching to the halogen versions of standard US code headlights gives you nothing more than brighter light with the same lousy pattern and more glare to oncoming traffic.

The European-code headlamps are all halogen, but the precision optics of the lenses is far superior to US code junk.

The halogen US-code headlamps on my 2007 Tacoma are atrocious, as far as light pattern goes, but they're very bright.  People are always flashing their lights at me, even tho I had the dealership re-aim them.  Oh for a set of E-codes to fit my truck. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 05:49:12 PM »
Russ,

Contact DS for the fix.  Euro spec stock Toyota from........wait for it.........Europe.

HTH

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline TomCat

• It's 4:20 somewhere...
    • Jay's Conversion Pics
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 05:59:06 PM »
I'll have to agree with a recommendation for Daniel Stern when it comes to vehicle lighting.

No matter how fast I drive, or what the lighting conditions are, I cannot outdrive my Cibie E Code headlights. The cutoff is very sharp, and I never get flashed at for having too bright headlights.

Just what a guy in his mid fifty's needs to stay safe on the road at night.

Jay
87 SaftLiner
On The High Plains of Colorado

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »
Jay,

DS has "HRI" bulbs that are 1.8 times as bright and last 1.5 times as long as the Sylvania Blue Star halogens.  I have the Halogens and they are much much better than stock and I am looking forward to the HR1's.

I hear you about the OLD EYES.  I took some ribbing from DS as I am upgrading the lights on my 96 Ranger STX.  I really like that truck but if I don't do something soon I will loose my licence.  Dark rainy and unlit city residential streets and idiots with dressed in all black crossing the street at night and I have come close a couple times.  I am down to one eye and the other is being pecked at by diabetes so I need the crutch.  Help is on the way.  He also can recommend replacement bulbs for your turn and brake and backup lights that are twice as bright.

Thanks for the reassuring comments about the CIBIE E CODE lamps.
—Pla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal