Author Topic: I've just started panning my windows over...  (Read 9923 times)

Offline Danny

• 87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...
    • Personal Web Page
I've just started panning my windows over...
« on: May 31, 2006, 10:34:27 PM »
I've just started panning my windows over on my bus.  I have been dreading this for a while but I think it will go pretty well.

Question - what do people do with the old windows which were removed on an MCI 102A3?

Danny
I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Re: I've just started panning my windows over...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 05:19:15 AM »
Danny,

When I took out the windows in my 4905,  I offered them up for the trading.

One guy came buy and took a few :), the rest went to the dump. :(

Being from a 102 you may find theres a market for them, not sure though.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

belfert

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 06:12:49 AM »
I have a Dina and also plan to remove windows.  My plan is to break out the glass and then recycle the aluminum frames.

There is very little market for Dina windows.  All but one or two of the thermopanes are fogged and it is unlikely that someone would want just the frames.

Brian Elfert

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:19:00 AM »
Danny if you don't find anything else to do with them, I could always find a place to "store some spares" as our 102A3 has all good widows in it at this time. But that could change as easily as the weather does! What I need are Setra windows! I have the same problem with the fogging that Brian & Chris have with the daul pain losing the inert gas and looking like a year around blizzard in those windows!
Bryce
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Dallas

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 07:25:35 AM »
Danny if you don't find anything else to do with them, I could always find a place to "store some spares" as our 102A3 has all good widows in it at this time. But that could change as easily as the weather does! What I need are Setra windows! I have the same problem with the fogging that Brian & Chris have with the daul pain losing the inert gas and looking like a year around blizzard in those windows!
Bryce

Bryce,
If it's safety glass, you could try using a couple of clothes irons, one on the outside and one inside the coach. I heard about doing that a few years ago and tried it on a window I took out of an old White Road Commode. It worked really well, although we did find that we had to move slowly and work back and forth. heating a little of the window at a time. Start toward the center and work your way out.
Hey, it's worth a try.
Dallas

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 07:41:17 AM »
Dallas your absolutly right it is worth a try I jsut gotta come up witha couple of irons! I sure don't have one! LOL! :) ;) :D ;D :o 8)  Knuckle 8) :o ;D :D ;) :)
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 07:47:58 AM »
I thought my MC9 windows were double pane. Turns out they were actually double pain! Once getting them out, once disposing of them.

Oooo that was a good one  :D

They sat behind the garage for a few years with no takers. Last fall, I took a closer look at, and found that the rubber holding the glass in came out easily, and the "glass" turned out to be very thick single piece of plexiglass (about 1/2"). I disassembled all the windows in about an hour, set the plexiglass aside for future "projects", removed the steel hinges and hardware, and set the aluminum aside for recycling.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Dallas

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 07:50:47 AM »
Dallas your absolutly right it is worth a try I jsut gotta come up witha couple of irons! I sure don't have one! LOL! :) ;) :D ;D :o 8)  Knuckle 8) :o ;D :D ;) :)

Bryce, ask your wife, girlfriend and mistress, also their boyfriends.
Salvation Army has them for about $5.
Remember to put the irons on cold and turn them all the way up. That lets the glass heat at the same time the iron does, otherwise, it seems to me that the glass might crack. ???

Dallas

belfert

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 08:05:43 AM »
at this time. But that could change as easily as the weather does! What I need are Setra windows! I have the same problem with the fogging that Brian & Chris have with the daul pain losing the inert gas and looking like a year around blizzard in those windows!
Bryce

Don't your customers complain about not being able to see out of the windows?  I can barely see out of some of my windows right now.  I would think a charter operation would need good windows for sure.

Brian Elfert

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 08:12:37 AM »
Dang Dallas, you got a lot of play in that steering wheel!
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 08:23:41 AM »

Don't your customers complain about not being able to see out of the windows?  I can barely see out of some of my windows right now.  I would think a charter operation would need good windows for sure.

Brian Elfert

Sometimes but not usually, I've taken and put the worst 1 in the bathroom makes a good privacy window and the reast of the bad ones I put at the rear also and it is where we have "booths" where the seats face each other. This is where the kids race too the fun of having a "booth" is cool enough that they never say anything about the windows, and the ladies on the sports teams and in the bands we haul use this area as a private changing room by hanging a blanket across the front  But yes sometimes I get a complaint or 2, this is why I'm trying to find some used windows or a way to fix what I have! But when your providing quality transportation at bargain prices it's hard to justify plunking down $4,000 dollars for a few windows! And when I remind people that we do charge less than those people who have "new" buses and these older buses with slight issuse is how we can afford to do this they seem to understand, especially if I tell them how much those windows cost! BK
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 08:27:04 AM »
Yeah and it looks like he's doing a good job of keeping it straight, but I saw it from behind the other day an it bobs an weaves all over the road just like an old 8 or 9 with th old steering boxes! LOL!
:) ;) :D ;D :o 8)  Knuckle 8) :o ;D :D :) :)
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Dallas

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 08:36:56 AM »
Yeah and it looks like he's doing a good job of keeping it straight, but I saw it from behind the other day an it bobs an weaves all over the road just like an old 8 or 9 with th old steering boxes! LOL!
:) ;) :D ;D :o 8)  Knuckle 8) :o ;D :D :) :)

Bryce

That's right pick on me for my decrepit old GM!
She'll get ya, ya know!
Actually that Gif's from Detroit where I was missing pothole and drunks. I could have missed more drunks I s'pose, but I was trying to get a chasis inspection!

Dallas

belfert

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 08:49:22 AM »
a way to fix what I have! But when your providing quality transportation at bargain prices it's hard to justify plunking down $4,000 dollars for a few windows! And when I remind people that we do charge less than those people who have "new" buses and these older buses with slight issuse is how we can afford to do this they seem to understand, especially if I tell them how much those windows cost! BK

Have you tried any local glass shops for replacement glass?  $4,000 seems more than a bit steep!  I did talk to a local glass shop about glass for my window, but never went there and got a price for the glass.  Since the glass for my windows is about half the price of Peninsula windows, I plan to go with Peninsula since I can get sliders with screens instead of fixed glass.

Brian Elfert

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 02:27:15 PM »
Have you tried any local glass shops for replacement glass?  $4,000 seems more than a bit steep!  I did talk to a local glass shop about glass for my window, but never went there and got a price for the glass.  Since the glass for my windows is about half the price of Peninsula windows, I plan to go with Peninsula since I can get sliders with screens instead of fixed glass.

Brian Elfert

Brian I've talked to everyone and had lots of suggestions but so far the only ones who know fer sure I'll get clear windows when I'm done is buying 5 brand new one's from Setra! Now ya see why I just keep pluging along and picking up a used one here an there as I find them, I've got 2 newer one's in the shop now that I bought used even though they are brand new(never been in a bus) and I know where some more are I just haven't had the time to go after them when I got the $ and don't have the $ when I got the time! And also always looking for better options as I go. Local glass shops don't wanna fool with them because they are a double pain! And they hear the word "bus or motorcoach" and say sorry no ideas! BK
www.kylakesidetravel.net

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal