Author Topic: Who takes a golf cart along with their bus?  (Read 7561 times)

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
Who takes a golf cart along with their bus?
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:50:59 PM »
I've been thinking that I'd like to take an electric cart with me because I'm a lazy bastard but I can't see any possible way to haul it.
There is no way to get it in a bay and if I want to take a car along with me I was going to put it on my 18' trailer but that leaves no room for a cart. Even if I tried to load up up as far forward as possible on the trailer it would out quite a load on the tongue.

Has anyone thought up a scheme to make it work out for them? Can I take my toys with me or no?

-Dave
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

cody

Re: Who takes a golf cart along with their bus?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »
At bussing 2008 their were a few golf carts, one that impressed me had a fold down seat back and a quick disconnect for the steering wheel, it slid right into a bay nicely.  There were also a couple of downsized golf carts that were made by their owners.

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:14:08 PM »
That interests me, I thought the seat would be easy, not really sure how I would do the steering column the way that I wanted it at least.
I haven't actually measured but it seems like it would be really close if it fit at all on height and width. Are Eagle bays larger?

If anyone here has done the steering column disconnect and other mods to fit I'd love to see picture and hear about it.

I had other plans for the bay but like I said, I'm a lazy bastard!

-Dave
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:35:50 PM »
one that impressed me had a fold down seat back and a quick disconnect for the steering wheel, it slid right into a bay nicely. 
>
>
That sounds like Bill Glen's, Yes his eagle has larger bay's than the MCI.
A golf cart won't fit in the MCI the center is only 24".
I do haul 2 quads a 50 and a 90, but the wheels have to come off.
good luck.
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline JimC

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:57:34 PM »
the people that i know that haul them put them in the back of a pu truck and tow the truck four down
jim
4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

Offline TrevorH

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 06:49:19 PM »
I am tossing around the idea of raising the floor over one of the bays so I can load a couple dirt bikes.  Or maybe even a fold down ramp door on the side of the bus to load.  The hauling capability is 50% what I am looking for so I am kinda torn.
1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 06:56:17 PM »
I guess I could put a platform on the front of the bus and sit it there  ;D
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 07:17:39 PM »
here it is, but the trick is that the bus has to be big enough.  I confess being able to do this was on my list of must haves.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »
A golf cart is a load for most towable pickups.  Tear up the tailgate loading the cart. 
How about a longer trailer?
There are some low profile gas powered golf cars that with low tire pressure will fit under an MCI center.  They are older units.
You'll have to be a golf car mechanic to keep one running. 
I leave the toad at home and take the golf car.   Keeps T from going "shopping" when there are better things to do!
Some states allow double bottom.  Put the golf cart on it's own 8' trailer, behind the 4-down toad.  Cannot back this sort of thing more than a few feet.  I hauled 3 bass boats like that for years.  2 stacked on one trailer and another trailer attached in a 'double bottom' fashion.  Drove fine.  No fishtailing or anything.     Read the rules though, some states frown on this concept. 
Once at the camping area.  Disconnect the toad and the golf cart stays hooked up to the toad until it's unloaded.
I wouldn't put an electric golf car in anything less than a 3/4 ton truck.  That would be without the tailgate too. 
These sorts of decisions (how to carry ALL of your toys) are the pitfalls of bus ownership!  ;)
I luv my Club Car!  I'm a lazy a$$ too!  ;D   Actually, our golf cart is a tool.  It carries my bass around at bluegrass festivals because I'm too old and way too lazy to carry it very far.  Also carries the important adult beverage cooler!   Priceless!  ;D
Good luck with your decisions, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »
here it is, but the trick is that the bus has to be big enough.  I confess being able to do this was on my list of must haves.

Holy Haysoos, I see an LTz and a....QUAD ZiLLA??  Or is that a 250?   Those LT500Rs are hazardous to your health...hell, so could the LT250Rs!    Those old LTRs are getting way too rare. 
Nice front suspension too.   Look like dune runners what with them funny tires and all ;).
I recently rebuilt an engine for an LT250...that sucker was problematic finding all the correct parts to do the jobs in a workmanlike fashion.  But we did.  Had to combine years and whatever went with those abstract year.
If you need any parts for the QuadZ or the LTZ, let me know.  I'm a Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki dealer.
That's how one does toys!  Excellent!

JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 07:53:38 PM »
Yes,  thanks, Quadzilla it is.  had it bored out to 530, ported and polished, new high performance reeds, new lower bearings, new better carb, new cool head.  Thing runs like a stiriped @$# ape - when I can get it started.  Those old magneto / CDI ignitions don't put out the spark.  I'm getting too old to kick it.  I might even be able to sell it for my original purchase price, not including the cost of all the mods.

I put longer travel suspension front and back (about 12") with no load reservoir shocks, powder coated the frame, new, shiny plastic etc.  Its a monster in the dunes.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 09:32:30 PM »
There are lots of carts in MCI bays.

Let's go folks, who knows what model those folks modified to get 'em under the bump?

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline TomNPat

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 11:50:55 PM »
We carry an old golf cart in the second bay of our MC 9.  To get it in there, we changed the tires to a smaller turf tire, smaller than the golf tire, think 6 instead of 8.  We set the seat backs to remove for a while, but now use stadium seats instead.  All along we've removed the steering column by taking out the bolts on the floor and laying the steering column over in the passengers 'feet' area.  Use a small floor jack to lock it in the bay.

It's an electric cart and I hoped that there would be a way to use it as a battery bank while boondocking.  But it's wired for 36 volt and no one can tell me about a switch that would change it to 12 volt for inverter use.  It would require rewiring to do so and I haven't done so yet.  DAMN!  If I could retire I'd figure that out!

The cart is a Melex.  It is a Polish knock off of and EZ-GO.  We had to shorten it by about a half a foot.  The tires dropped the height by a couple inches.  We use a couple of planks to load it, but don't have a system that uses a remote control.  Others have done that, including Sean Welsh.  We do work on the road and need it to get around.  It is not pretty, but, at 65, function is more important than pretty.  The bus in 500 miles away in storage and pictures aren't available, but you need to check your own measurements.

At 65 and 62, we think we need this.  If we were retired and not having to carry computers, printers, paper, etc. to work locations, it wouldn't be needed.  The exercise would be good.  As so many say, your mileage may vary.  My needs are different and ready to change.

We're thinking that a very small quad and a trailer could be a nicer answer.  But there are some who have all the answers.  JR said, on the NJT Board, a couple months ago, that we were selling our bus.  Ask him for all the answers!

TomNPat

Offline tomhamrick

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 09:18:20 AM »
We tow a full size Chevrolet 4 wheel drive truck and put the Club Car on it.
Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 10:43:14 AM »
If you already pull the trailer with the car, just build a platform on the trailer that sits above the car hood to haul the golf cart. A fold down ramp when the car is off the trailer, and load the cart up the ramp. Fold the ramp up and drive the car under the platform.  You might need to put an electric winch on the pull the cart up the ramp, but pretty easy to do.

Make sure your trailer hitch on the bus is built properly.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal