Author Topic: Clever business venture for a transit bus  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Hobie

Clever business venture for a transit bus
« on: January 23, 2008, 06:41:53 PM »
Doubt if you will get rich, but it looks like fun!!

http://www.springwise.com/lifestyle_leisure/driveby_gyms/

Offline TrevorH

Re: Clever business venture for a transit bus
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:45:17 PM »
Wouldnt it make more sense to ride the bike the bike where ever you wanted to go?
1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 07:35:18 PM »
Not to mention more fun.  I ride a bicycle about 100 miles a week, and although I have a stationary bike, I never ride it not for any reason.  It just isn't fun.  Riding a bicycle in the fresh air, seeing the ocean, mountains etc around san Diego, now that's fun.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline Paul

• Will it ever be done?
    • www.incredibus.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:16:51 AM »

Bet the drink bottled water.
Paul
http://www.incredibus.com
1988 MCI 102A3 /8V92 /740 /10" Roof Raise

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 06:37:13 AM »
Hey now, I gotta think that is a very cool idea!! :) I'm not sure how or where to impliment it,  ??? :P but a very cool idea.
  I ride Mt. bikes and unfortunately I don't live in San Diego. (Use to live in Huntington Beach, tho) I too ride about everyday, but not outside until the weather gets better out. And I don't want to loose all that I have gained.
  Anyway, living where I do, about an hour either way to Cincinnati or Indianapolis, I could see where people could utilize something like that to get a workout on the way to work and back. Like a commuting gym. The perverbial killing of two birds!

Oh wait, s**t.     I just had a thought. It would never work. Seat belts.      Big brother at play again.
  Oh well, never mind. Just another fleeting thought.  ::)

Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 07:37:13 AM »
Chaz,
Transit buses here don't have seat belts, nor do many seats in RV's.  Having said that, it would be a bummer for the driver to hit the brakes hard and send everyone toplling over.  Those bike would have to be bolted down well.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:55:19 AM »
Very cool idea! Just think climate control, sound, don't have to worry about getting run over by some idiot in a four wheeler, still has the outdoor feeling with the large windows and changing scenery, not to mention the scenery of any Lady's who take the bike bus for a sense of safety while riding. Wow Chaz, just think we take it one step farther for wannabe's / rubs! Put in a bunch of old (non running)motor cycles instead of bicycles, and rig the sound of a Harley or (imitation) to speed up, and slow down as the bus does, stopping at every corner bar. That way the rubs or wannabe's can feel like real bikers all the while not having to worry about DUI's or crazy 4 wheelers or even getting their hair messed up!!

;D  BK  ;D

PS even got an abandoned fishbowl we could use as a base for it!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:07:36 AM »
The ultimate commuting vehicle for the tree-huggers - with generators linked up to the bikes.  Transit systems are buying diesel-electric hybrids (Houston Metro has ordered 52 MCIs and 48 Orion VII's.  Would still need the diesel for deadheading.  I can hear the driver on the PA system now ....  "Faster, faster, we're getting on the freeway...." 

Arthur
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:56:51 AM »
The ultimate commuting vehicle for the tree-huggers - with generators linked up to the bikes.  Transit systems are buying diesel-electric hybrids (Houston Metro has ordered 52 MCIs and 48 Orion VII's.  Would still need the diesel for deadheading.  I can hear the driver on the PA system now ....  "Faster, faster, we're getting on the freeway...." 

Arthur

Kind of reminiscent of the Greek Trireme ships (powered by wind and 170 oarsmen).

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 10:50:10 AM »
Very similar, with the beat-setter on the Triremes ... "Faster, Faster, the Captain wants to go water skiing.

Arthur
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline Nusa

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 01:35:12 PM »
I doubt you could get commercial liability insurance for such an application in this country, unless you promised to only use the bikes when the bus was parked. After all, even a fairly minor accident (or even hard braking to avoid one) could cause a lot of injuries in that configuration. Being thrown from a bolted down bike might not hurt much, but landing on another one will!

Offline Hobie

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 03:25:45 PM »
Here is the correct seating chart -- girl, boy, etc.   smile!!     

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal