Author Topic: 8V71 exhaust cross over  (Read 2881 times)

Offline mc8 tin tent

8V71 exhaust cross over
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
Just an idea,which maybe a little to the left of center ;D,but what the heck! my cross over is about shot. Does any one know if a stainless pipe is available ???
The engine 76 8v71 mci 8. I was thinking of stainless but the cost ,and the prone to stress cracks of stainless ,stainless may not be the best.however stainless won't rust. What do you all think ?
   Thanks Dwayne

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
Re: 8V71 exhaust cross over
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Time to turbo :)
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline mc8 tin tent

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
newbee
 good answer but newer Jasper  engine aprox.35,000 miles,don't think this is the way i want to go at this time.
    Dwayne

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:17:53 PM »
Some grades of Stainless crack but others don't.  Don't know which is which but I am sure Doug Thorley Headers has a grip on it or any of the header guys on the net.

I wouldn't go with stainless because you can not wrap it.  That it won't take.  Mild Steele pipe can be wrapped.  That has two benefits....keeps the engine bay amazingly cooler and it will add HP to an already turbo'd engine.  Dyno proven!  Keep the exhaust hot all the way to the muffler....MPG and HP gain.  Alternator, hoses and belts will last longer so there doesn't seem to be a down side.  I think its called "wet wrap" and is ceramic in some way with a fiberglass covering.

Good luck,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline TomC

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »
That pipe is quite possibly the original pipe from when the bus was new.  How old is your bus?  Just use the identical type of pipe-don't be trying to reinvent the wheel when you don't know if it will work properly.  Exhaust pipe-if stainless-is a very cheap grade of stainless-just enough to keep it from rusting faster than standard steel.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 05:16:58 AM »
We purchased a replacement cross over pipe (both sections) from Luke at US Coach (888-COACH34) abpout 6-7 years ago when ours started leaking (rusted through). New pipe shows no signs of rust yet.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline mc8 tin tent

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 08:56:30 PM »
John,Tom & Jack
   Thanks for the reply!!
  I  checked with DD today seems I need to go to MCI or another supplier .And Luke will be my next call tomorrow!!!
   Thank you everyone for the great in put! As always!!
  Thanks Dwayne

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 10:32:35 PM »
What Tom said is very true.  There are more grades of stainless than should have ever been necessary.  The stuff that WILL NOT RUST is called "Marine Grade" and I think there is a number.  The stuff has nickel and chromium and other stuff in it for all sorts of special effects.  My 71 Datsun 240 Z had a stainless factory down pipe.  It was brownish gray in color but I don't think you could call it rust.  Thats almost 40 years of tough use.  I spoke with a custom turbo manifold builder and he is the source of the info that" # XXXX stainless will crack and is unsuitable for a manifold.  Only use # XXX."  I don't remember the numbers but that data must be out there and easy.  I would stick to mild steel and wrap it. 

You don't need an item off of a bus.  Take the leaky pipe off and give it to a reputable exhaust shop.  Luke might be cheaper but if he is out of stock find out what the shop will charge.  You might want to give Luke a big wet kiss.

HTH,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal