Author Topic: headliner question  (Read 1710 times)

cody

headliner question
« on: January 28, 2008, 09:21:24 AM »
About the only thing we kept intact as we work on this conversion is the headliner, the original converter did a great job on the tuck and roll nagahyde headliner but over the years it's gone from white to off white and you can see where the original partitions were by the color difference, anyone have any idea's on cleaning it or redyeing it? We've tryed most of the available household cleaning products and they haven't done much.  Any idea's?

Offline paulcjhastings

Re: headliner question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:09:28 AM »
SEM vinyl paint is available from local auto parts stores, it comes in many colors and covers well. I used it to make a headliner look like new in a car I restored.

Paul Hastings
1993 Setra 215 w/ Detroit Series 60 & Allison HT748
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel

Offline Hobie

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 02:21:05 PM »
Let me add it is important to prep the surface first by sanding with fine steel wool or scotchbrite (red) followed with a wax and grease remover. 

Use the vinyl prep.  It is a special 'solvent' that prevents fisheyes ( from oil on the surface, especially when is the surface was exposed to cigarette smoke.  Remember this doesn't replace degreasing. )  and make the surface ready for the dye.

Mask everything else carefully as it goes on best using high gun pressure.  Vinyl dye is not a paint so if you have any metal trim pieces that you want to match, have some car paint tinted to match your vinyl color. 

Buy your materials at an auto body shop supply house.  Don't use the spray cans for the headliner it will be hard to keep even.  Two coats will do the job.  Just enough for uniform color.  Otherwise it will look, "thick" as it fills in the texture and tends to look painted. 

If you have arm rests, etc. give them an extra couple of coats.   
Good luck.

Offline JimC

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »
Cody,
I agree with the others, spraying it is not hard, but you do need a decent spray gun and it needs to be prepped properly and really really clean.

I sprayed some door panels to match seats I put in a street rod and it turned out near perfect right out of the can, no thinning or mixing. I also agree that if you are to do it, you need to buy the die from a reputable auto paint supplier.

It will also mean covering everything in the bus as far as walls, furniture, and those beautiful cabinets you made with plastic drop cloths or something similar. You will get over spray.
Jim
4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal