Author Topic: Elec. Wipers  (Read 5492 times)

Offline rdbishop

• '68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas
Elec. Wipers
« on: January 28, 2008, 06:30:23 PM »
Anyone here know where I can buy a complete set of elec. wipers for buses. I had seen an ad awhile back for about $400. I thought I saw the ad in  Bus Con. mag. but so far I cannot find it. Any ideas where to look.

Richard 

luvrbus

Re: Elec. Wipers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:47:15 PM »
Richard, I have not seen any for 400.00 I paid over a grand for mine on the Eagle but people on this board like Jack make their own for the MCI and Fred Hobie ( spelling me be wrong on the last name) has a kit for MCIs I don't know the price but someone will.Another topic how did your gear change work out for you

Offline rdbishop

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:25:35 PM »
Hi luvrbus,

I just completed the rear end but I haven't tried it yet. I ended up doing the work myself after the guy in Houston tried to poke me. He wanted $6000. to do the change and I did it myself for $1100. I ended up with 342 gears and I'll give a report after the test in a couple of weeks on a trip to Corpus Christi, Tex. I'd like to get the wipers in before I go.

catch you later,

Richard

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »
I had these rattling around in my bookmarks, maybe one might help:

http://www.amequipment.com/index.html

http://www.autexacs.com/products_reference.htm
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »
http://www.autexacs.com/products_retrofit.htm

This is the system that International Bus Parts was selling when I bought my retrofit kit about 4 years ago.  I wouldn't deal with IBP but I wouldn't hesitate to call Autex either.  Once I finally got switches that worked the system worked just fine.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 09:29:02 AM »
Richard -

What's wrong with the OEM air units?

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline rdbishop

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 12:39:17 PM »
Thanks Guys for the info.

I called Autex this morning and ordered a set. I had put 8 windshields several years ago and with this new set I'll have longer wipers. Might even be able to see more better.
Russ, I never did like the noise and air leaks that I had with the old ones.  If anyone wants the old ones PM me and first one can have them as soon as the new ones arrive. I think I also have one new air motor that go also.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Richard

Offline rdbishop

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 01:00:15 PM »
OK the old stuff is gone. Sorry

Richard

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 02:37:31 PM »
Try your local, friendly, inexpensive ($cheap$) heavy truck tractor wrecking yard and seessss if they have any electric wipers from late model cheap wrecked truck tractors that might work.  The air wipers on my curved glass Crown work fine once "warmed up" (go figure) but they still use lots of air.  Either a rebuild is eventually needed or perhaps a complete change over to three speed electrics...with an intermintantant feature.  CROWNS FOREVER! :) :) :)  (ever find the use for that brown wire?)

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »
May I ax what the Autex units cost?   Price counts, but the electric conversion is going to happen one of these days.   
Jack Conrad recently posted some photos of his wiper conversion using school bus wiper motors.  Looked like something I could execute.     
I'd just as soon use bolt-in units.  If they aren't made of unobtainium. 
I've already replaced my drivers air motor with a C&J rebuilt unit.  Then replaced the control switch.  Then checked the air lines.  No joy.  Still doesn't work as it should. 
Sucker will run for a few minutes...stop, park it and away it goes again for a few minutes.   By golly it parks with vigor!  Afraid parking the unit is going to break something.  I have no kinked lines, plenty of air to the motor, no kinked vents...and I'm tired of pulling it out and playing with the thing.   I could've bought some good used electrics and converted for what I've spent on the drivers air push motor.   I give up.   
The OEM RH wiper works great...go figure.  I oughta pull the 'co-pilot's'  motor, turn the valve around and install in on my side.  T don't like that wiper left off when the rain starts.  She want to see. 
I want electric.   In fact, I could run them on 12V so that the intermittant feature would be available.  Looks like they don't offer intermittant wipers for 24V?
Thanks, JR   
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline belfert

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 07:37:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure my electric wipers are 24 volt and they have intermittent.  Rather, they are supposed to have intermittent.  I believe the intermittent portion is done via a flasher type unit on the driver's electrical board, but would have to double check that.

Only the passenger side has intermittent right now.  Something is shorted on the driver side intermittent, but the driver side constant works fine.  The person driving during the rain on my last trip didn't know about the wiper problems and had one side on constant and the other on intermittent which caused some strange issues.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline rdbishop

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 07:41:59 PM »
JR,

They priced the complete unit...24v. intermittant 2 motors, switches, arms,blades...washer,pump, hoses foooooooooor $850.00 plus tax. More than I wanted to spend but I was ready to get rid of noise and problems.  It took a little coaxing and then the wife gave the OK so they are on the way.  I've had my bus since 1987 and the wipers never did work right. wish I had done this a long time ago. I also don't have the time to piece a unit together or look for parts. Maybe someone on the board would build some units for sale at a decent price since a lot of nuts want them.

Good Luck!

Richard

Offline ChuckMC8

• 1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 02:03:48 AM »
Electric Wipers.........I love mine!
 Donor was a 32' Winne-bago. I was standing at the scap yard as the worker there carefully removed the front of the camper with a Caterpillar (to get the 454 chevy out) The wiper motors were just hanging by the wires. I waved for him to stop while I snipped the wires and had to break a small peice of fiberglass.
   I looked at a set of aftermarket kits for the bus dold by IBP- These motors were same brand and identical models! I had to drill one extra 1/4" hole in each bracket to fit em to the bus.

EZ project. Cost $0 work great. My kind of deal! I used the wiper arms and blades off the donor as well
You can see em on my photo page link-HTH Chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

Offline rdbishop

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 08:43:53 AM »
Chuck,

You did good! I've been looking for a long time for some electric wipers that would work , but no luck. You were at the right place at the right time.

Richard

Offline jatnip

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 10:01:03 PM »
Just had Fred Hobe install my electric wipers 2 days ago on my bus.  $450.00 complete including all parts and labor.  Yes they had delay and washer also.
Why look any longer?  You will not find better price.

Jim Atnip

Offline trailblazer2

• 1990 Chevrolet C-60 Activity
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 07:22:11 AM »
 Jatnip;
 You definetly got a good deal! Fred seems to treat everybody fair,and that goes a long way. I am sure you appreciate the ability that these have ,over the air. Do you know who these were made by?( or the manufacturer)
"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston

Sojourner

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »
I got my electric wiper unit from school bus that been removed from chassis.
Two for price of my labor. About 30 minutes to remove both.
The ones I have are same as high price over counter deal.
Orange picker need "goat" rig that was build on school bus chassis.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline trailblazer2

• 1990 Chevrolet C-60 Activity
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 09:06:58 AM »
 Sojourner;
 Give me a holler offline,(e-mail)I would like to discuss these details. I am willing to try anything once!
Bill
"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston

Sojourner

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 04:35:57 PM »
My e-mail is silverclip1ataoldotcom

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal