Author Topic: Tenderfoot seeks to explore on the Yellowstone  (Read 14004 times)

Offline Craig R

Tenderfoot seeks to explore on the Yellowstone
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:04:42 AM »
 Could any of you seasoned wanderers provide me some insight as to which campgrounds within Yellowstone National Park would best accomodate a 35-footer seeking nature and willing to boondock? Any suggestions for picturesque stopovers between central Oregon and there?
Thanks in Advance,
Craig R

Offline tucsontattoo

• 1962 4106
    • tucson tattoo
Re: Tenderfoot seeks to explore on the Yellowstone
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 11:16:04 AM »
Craig   Sorry I can't be of much help. Was looking for information about the area my self when I read your post. I see it is your first, welcome aboard. I'v only been on here about a month or so myself but it's really a great group.
  We will be headed up the coast from San Diego to Roads End Oregon on HWY 1 next month, then inland and up to Seattle. There is a site called reserveamerica (.com) that has some really good maps and campground information and lotsa links. Its been invaluable to us. We already have our camp sites reserved about every 2 or 3 hundred miles all the way up.
  You might take a look there.

have a great trip!!          Tucson
we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:35:24 AM »
Craig   Sorry I can't be of much help. Was looking for information about the area my self when I read your post. I see it is your first, welcome aboard. I'v only been on here about a month or so myself but it's really a great group.
  We will be headed up the coast from San Diego to Roads End Oregon on HWY 1 next month, then inland and up to Seattle. There is a site called reserveamerica (.com) that has some really good maps and campground information and lotsa links. Its been invaluable to us. We already have our camp sites reserved about every 2 or 3 hundred miles all the way up.
  You might take a look there.

have a great trip!!          Tucson

As a word of caution, there is a section of US-1 just north of SF that is not recommended for busses or trucks over 30 ft. I believe. Even between LA and SF it can get pretty hairy.  I did it one time in my Eagle (accidentally) and I never would purposely do it again. I would instead recommend 101 for the trip north. Still a beautiful trip thru the redwoods and Mostly coast after you get to Oregon. When you get to Oregon be sure and stop in a couple of the Myrtlewood souvenir shops.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline tucsontattoo

• 1962 4106
    • tucson tattoo
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 01:36:43 PM »
Richard  Now you got me a little worried.I pulled up images of the areas we are planing to camp and the shots of the road seemed to have 18 wheelers on them. Where do you remember it being bad and maybe I should rethink my route. Don't want to spend the whole trip white knuckled.

Really need a little advice here         Tucson

Offline skihor

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »
Craig R, Going out the gorge is cool ( Washington side is better for viewing the Oregon side) then turn north up to walla walla going to Lewiston/Clarkston. Then follow the Clearwater canyon over Lolo pass (St Rt 12). There is a hot spring called Jerry Johnson ( about Mile Post 150) and a very nice place to boondock there for free. The road continues to Missoula,Mt.Go to Yellowstone either to the north entrance or my favorite West Yellowstone. Several of the campgrounds are first come basis in the park. Best time to get a site is between 12 and 3. Bridge Bay is one of them. Great rv park at west yellowstone tho spendy. and numerous N.F campgrounds north of there.  There is a huge rv /campground called Flagg Ranch between Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks. Resrurant/store etc...

Offline skihor

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 03:06:25 PM »
TT The hiway from Sausalito over Mt. Tamalpais in to Stinson beach is VERY TWISTY. And alot of Hwy 1 is the same. I would do it but plan on pulling over ALOT to let people pass. IT'S NOT A ROAD FOR THE TIMID. The scenery is outstanding but if you are going north you will have to cross the road every time you want to stop for ocean views. Easy in a car, scary in a bus. If 180 degree 15 mph corners don't bother you then by all means go. It's breath taking
coastline for most of it. + the Redwoods in the north. Just outside the town of Orick there is a long beach for camping/Rv'ing. Last time I was there it was a $5 donation for overnite. The parking area is about 2 miles long right on the beach. You can also camp anywhere you want to ON the beach.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 04:21:27 PM »
Richard  Now you got me a little worried.I pulled up images of the areas we are planing to camp and the shots of the road seemed to have 18 wheelers on them. Where do you remember it being bad and maybe I should rethink my route. Don't want to spend the whole trip white knuckled.

Really need a little advice here         Tucson

I have not been up thru there for probably 10-15 years, but if my memory serves me correct, it is not a route for the timid in a bus. I have made most of the trip in a Model A Ford, and that was not so bad. If you do not mind crossing the solid yellow lines to make the turns, then you might be OK.

Areas I particularly recall as bad are Morro Bay, San Simeon and especially Big Sur, all south of San Francisco. Big Sur was bad when I made the trip in a pickup camper many years ago.

Golden Gate National Recreation Area just out of San Francisco was bad and the next 30-50 miles (or however far it was to cross back over to 101) was not for the timid.

There is a great campground at the intersection of 101 and the highway back over to ! at Ft. Bragg. I have stayed there several times. Just north on 101 is Humboldt Redwoods State Park and you do not want to miss that. Further north 101 pretty much follows the coast, as I recall, and beautiful ocean overlooks and sandy beaches to park overnight at all along the coast.

A great trip all in all. Do not try it on 1 if you are in a hurry or somewhat timid is my advice.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Craig R

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 05:02:28 PM »
While I'm very pleased that Tucsontattoo is getting so much good information -- I too like travelling the Pacific Coast -- I feel like my post has been hijacked. When I log on to a thread that I have started I hold out hope of finding replys to my post. By the way, US-1 doesn't extend into Oregon. it ends at a junction with 101 in northern California.

Sincere thanks to Skihor

Craig R 

Offline tucsontattoo

• 1962 4106
    • tucson tattoo
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 06:09:40 PM »
Sorry craig.  Sure didn't mean to get in the way. I'll back outta here and give you back the microphone now.
                     Good luck  and have a great trip             Tucson

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 06:29:35 PM »
While I'm very pleased that Tucsontattoo is getting so much good information -- I too like travelling the Pacific Coast -- I feel like my post has been hijacked. When I log on to a thread that I have started I hold out hope of finding replys to my post. By the way, US-1 doesn't extend into Oregon. it ends at a junction with 101 in northern California.

Sincere thanks to Skihor

Craig R 
My apologies also. I will try and make up for it with what i know about Yellowstone.

My last visit was about 5-6 years ago and was in the spring. Probably early May, about two weeks before the park opened. I suspect it may open Memorial Day weekend, but I am not sure.

Anyway, there was still quite a bit of snow on the ground, but the roads and parking lots had all been plowed and there was no ice on the road. No rangers about, but the gates were open, so I just drove on in. Lots of Elk around the main entrance coming from the north. I do not remember the route but it was really a steep grade getting up there.

We drove around to the geyser and parked in a parking lot within 500 feet of the geyser. We were the only vehicle around. I parked so we could see the geyser out the windshield. It was a pretty neat experience.

I had a toad so we drove all around the park and spent a couple of days there exploring and enjoying the wildlife. Bear, Deer and Elk as I recall. I departed from the western exit and there is a small town which we visited for a few hours. From there we went on east to WV for a visit and then on to Ft. Lauderdale.
Richard

PS I will try and fix the post and get it divided up like it should be but I do not know if I can or not.
Again my apologies for being a part of the hijacking.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 09:05:04 PM »
When I saw this thread today I did a little checking because we've been considering going through Yellowstone this summer. It seems there is only one RV park within the park that will accomodate anything over 30 ft, and that is at Fishing Bridge. $35 per night, has electricity, water and sewer. In addition you have to pay the entrance fee with is $25 per vehicle for 7 day permit to Yellowstone and Teton National Park (not sure if the toad is an extra $25, but I believe it is). It's run by the concessionaire, and they don't accept online reservations. I haven't called to see if they can accomodate my MC9, or if they have any sites open when we want to go. It does say there are a couple outside the park, with Flagg Ranch being one, though I thought it said it was out the West Entrance.

If we go, we'll get reservations (if possible) at Fishing Bridge, park and plug in, and day trip out of there in the toad. Will probably spend 3 days there, most likely the last week in July. If there's no openings, the kids will have to do Yellowstone when they get on their own. My wife and I have seen it, and really, could die happy if we never made it back (especially in the summer).

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline skihor

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 09:15:49 PM »
I've stayed at Madison, Grant, Bridge Bay,  and all have the capability to take my '35+trailer (12' tongue to tail light)
Fishing bridge has hook-ups and only allows HARD SIDE VEHICLES. NO TENTS. Also if you want to stay where you need reservations you need to get them 5 MONTHS in advance, or you might only get one nite then move for the next, etc... Although spring and fall there's usually no problem.  Oh and Flagg Ranch is south of Yellowstone between there and Grand Teton Park

Offline pvcces

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 11:07:28 PM »
Tenderfoot, I might offer something from a trip we made two years ago. In northeast Oregon, there is the Hell's Canyon area. We really liked it, and stayed in a campground within the Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area. The fee was $3, IIRC. This was in July, and while it was near 100 degrees when we were in Rickreall, it was very comfortable there.

The only cautions I can offer you is that mapping software is a big help, because this is a low traffic area and the roads are sometimes skinny. There were a very few 7 foot wide lanes in spots. When you come to places like these, slow and wait for any traffic to pass, then take what you need from the opposite lane.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 01:04:33 AM »
****************************************** REPRINT **********************************************

There are over 2000 campsites w/in the park run mostly by part-time workampers - not all of the campsites can be reserved in advance - each morning you can appear in person or guaranty reservation by phone (early bird gets the you know what) - I stayed there 4 nights in a row w/o advance res. and never had to leave park because of an interesting but non-disseminated feature, If you show up in the evening when registration time ends (check campground rules on website for registration closing time) and there are no available sites they will let you park and dry camp in the parking area for FREE if space is available - if you show up too early they will send you away, you have to be there at closing - this is important because camping is only allowed w/in campgrounds unless you have a backcountry/tent camping permit - they do a fairly rigorous enforcement job too - Other than that most campgrounds are to be found relatively far away and outside the Park Boundries - FWIW

*** Disclaimer: Unless things have changed since I was last there

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline jatnip

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 06:31:03 AM »
To all,
We live just out side of Yellowstone and if could be of help let us know.  Something you all might like to check out.   http://www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/webcams.htm    It also has many yellowstone links.   What we do, stay out of the park and enjoy the country!  ::)   Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal