Author Topic: Parts Availability  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Fredward

• 2000 Country Coach Magna (not a bus)
Parts Availability
« on: February 06, 2008, 01:24:03 PM »
Is there much difference in parts availability between a 4107 and an MCI-7 ? Realizing that the GM is a 35 footer and the MCI is 40. I've always assumed that with MCI still in business we stand a better chance of getting MCI parts than GM parts. But on a 1970 vintage bus maybe it doesn't matter? Even MCI are hard to find? Runiing gear is probably not an issue. But body parts maybe? What other concerns are there between the two manufacturers?

I know last year I was able to get a new tie rod and king pins for my 1965 MC-5. Or are they just standard truck parts?

Fred
Fred Thomson

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
Re: Parts Availability
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:39:19 PM »
I've never had a problem getting parts for my 1979 MCI
                                                                          HTH Jim
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline tekebird

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 04:06:25 PM »
JIm your 1979 model MCI was produced into the mid 80's and still shares parts with buses produced into the 90's.

as for the MC_7 and 4107.  there are no interchangable parts to speak of.  as far as body.....you are much better of with a 4107 finding body parts, unless you can wait for an MC-7 to be scrapped out or are willing to put ugly and non complimenting fiberglass pannels on it.

really the only hard to oibtain parts on the 4107 that are not new or good OEM copies are the upper level windshields (astrolight windows).

the 07 shares parts with buses as early as the 4104 and through the end of production with the 4905

the MC-7 really doesnt share much with it's kin save the early MC-5's perhaps.

Offline mikelutestanski

• Mikes Metal Mistress
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »
Hello:     
      As a 1972 MCI 7 owner I am biased toward that machine for various reasons . The bus was one of the better built in terms of structural iron put forth in the frame.  The later buses all eliminated parts of the framing.   The undercarriage is compatible up to the MCI 12.  I have a 1986   MCI 9  tag axle in my bus. The 102 models are not compatible because everything is wider.
     They model run for the 7 was from 1968 through 1973 producing 2550 coaches. The 7 was the first  40 foot production coach MCI built and was offered in 1967 in direct opposition to   GMCs 40 foot PD4903 .
       So when they are all gone no more parts..  International bus parts will make any part that you need as far as skin..  It may be pricey but you can get it. I have an MCI 9 front axle that will fit right under the 7 if required.. 
    The MCI 7  combo bus was a different breed and was a marriage of Scenicruiser rear axle structures with a MCI 7 body to enable greyhound to carry passengers and freight mostly in the western states.. Greyhound has these specials built when they retired the scenicruiser from their fleets.
      Every person has his own opinion as to what modifications he or she will do to their coach and their conversion. If you can live with the 7 and its idiosyncasies then you will have a nice machine with some notable history..
     To be fair and honest the MCI 9 coach had a long production run (9513+)   and there are many of them out in the marketplace. Used parts for them are available.  As far as  a conversion shell the 9 has a more square interior lending itself to easier construction inside.    Your choice   depends on your wallet and time
        Regards and happy bussin     Mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal