MC-9
MCI A3
MCI C
MCI D
Neoplan
Setra
Van Hool
Schoolie of some sort

Author Topic: What type of bus do you have  (Read 11226 times)

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
Re: What type of bus do you have
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 10:01:54 AM »
PD41301085 56 years young and runs like a Gazelle!

Oh, and Kyle, the 4501 may be more famous, but the innovations that came about with the advent of the 4101-4102-4103 made everything that came after possible!

Henry J's Forever!

Those are fine coaches, but were test beds for new ideas, For new ideas to be successful, they have to work!  :o And, we all know the PD4501 WORKED! No other bus can boast almost 20 years in service with greyhound.  ;D

The 4501 took those fancy new ideas & included them as standard equipment.  8)
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 12:14:37 PM »
Well kind sir, please be informed that I don't own just "A schoolie of some Sort".  My 1974 Crown Super Coach is just not another schoolie.  I will have you know that she doesn't move a muscle standing absolutely still, gets 1000 mpg overnight sitting, gets wet in the rain and snow, doesn't utter one word of complaint, never never talks back and starts almost everytime I hit the starter maybe.  However, I do have to sweep it out at times.  Can't understand why.  He he he, just joking!!  CROWNS FOREVER!  :) :) :)

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »
Quote from: kyle4501
No other bus can boast almost 20 years in service with greyhound.  ;D

Now Kyle,
We all know I'm not a big supporter of MCI, but I will have to point out Greyhounds use of the MCI 9 from 1979(? or sooner I can't remember what yr the 1st 9 was built) to present! Yes they still have some 9's in service. And they still have some 12's in service too, but a 12 is nothing more than a refurbished 9. And if I remember correctly the Scenicruiser fleet in Greyhound service all under went a remake/upgrade process too! I'm not trying to take away from the Scenicruiser, but hey the 9 is still in regular service with Greyhound and also many small operators too! As a matter of fact I know several charter bus companies out in the Dakota's & Nebraska that are all very into the newer Van Hool coaches, but still keep several 9's around to use during severe weather conditions in the winter because they don't freeze up like the Van Drools do!
But hey anyway this is about Doug's poll not a history lesson on which coach is tough enough to stick it out and still be kept around at the G-Hound Pound!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline mike davis

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »
If
  god keeps smiling on me In 3 days PD4501 599  2 1/2 weeks and it will be in the driveway 

mike

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2008, 01:50:46 PM »
Since you want it so badly, I hope you get it!!!
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline mike davis

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 01:52:23 PM »
PD41301085 56 years young and runs like a Gazelle!

Oh, and Kyle, the 4501 may be more famous, but the innovations that came about with the advent of the 4101-4102-4103 made everything that came after possible!

Henry J's Forever!

Those are fine coaches, but were test beds for new ideas, For new ideas to be successful, they have to work!  :o And, we all know the PD4501 WORKED! No other bus can boast almost 20 years in service with greyhound.  ;D

The 4501 took those fancy new ideas & included them as standard equipment.  8)

kyle
       599 has a 1976 rebuild tag on it's 8V71 so 21+ years?

mike

Offline mike davis

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »
Since you want it so badly, I hope you get it!!!

thank you

maybe A trip to the painted desert next winter is in the cards

mike

Offline dkhersh

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 02:53:02 PM »
Well, as usual motor mouth (teke) has left everybody hanging.  Sounds like to me he's fishing without a rod and reel for something.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »
My Bad!  wasn't that late but with the 2-4 hours sleep I have been getting a night I was a bit goofy.

if someone wants to we can void this one out and do a new all encompassing list.....

can't beleice I left out Prevost.........Conspiracy?????????????  good arguement if I would have left out the Rusty Bird

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 03:34:21 PM »
I second the motion by Teke to start over.  At least this thread gave a list of makes and models that were missed!
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Dallas

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2008, 03:43:55 PM »
It worked? Like in when they changed out the twin 4-71's and replaced them with 8V71's? and then when they fixed the bulkheads when they were cracking and folding over while on the road? Oh, and let us not forget the excellent job the GMC Imagineers when they installed the Scenic windows that would give "Lo" the poor passenger in the seats most closely related to those windows a well deserved shower.
Just to mention it, my coach, PD4103-1085, ran in service from 1952 to 1968. Not 20 years, true, but a respectable run for a spring suspended bus on the 66 Route from OK City.

Actually, I do respect all the innovations that Hound/GMC tried to make in the Scenics. I would trade my 4103 and my MC9 in a heartbeat for a running, drivable, converted Scenic, and then deal with the boss later.

Oh, and just one other thing for you MCI guys to think about... Hound took the suspension and axles from the Scenic to make a viable MCI. MCI engineers just couldn't come up with the required specs to compete.

Gotta love those old time GMC engineers with their Slide rules and hand calculations.

Yes, we have an MCI, and may be picking up another one in a couple of weeks, BUT ___ 4103's Rule!

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »
Hound had the benefit of studing the Scenic during the design process of the 9. The Scenic was designed to have a 10 year, 1,000,000 mile life, whereas the 9 was supposed to last 30 years & 3,000,000 miles.

Over 9000 9's were made over a period of 9 years. With the way they were designed, I'd be ashamed to mention the fact so many were retired!  ;D

I was all set to get a 9. But I saw a real bus & hit the 'buy it now' button  ;D  :o

I'm rather glad that not everyone wants a Scenic. I'd not have as many if that was the case. Wait a minute, maybe that isn't as good a thing as I thought . . . . :o

I think that you should buy what ever bus that you like & not worry too much if some don't agree with you. Just allow them to be wrong ;D
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2008, 07:51:09 PM »
I'm sorry guys - you're all wrong.  Its a well known fact that the most beautiful curve in nature is the curve of a woman's body and its no accident that the roofline of the most beautiful bus in the world has that same curve built right into it.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline sweeney153

• Sweeney 153
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2008, 08:22:25 PM »
What about Crown?
Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed

Dallas

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2008, 04:45:24 AM »
I've locked this thread so that Doug's other poll can receive the information.

Please post here:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=7347.0

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal