Author Topic: Generator Quit  (Read 5275 times)

Offline BillC

Generator Quit
« on: February 08, 2008, 03:04:46 PM »
The generator quit today after about three hours of use, the moter still runs ,it doesnt  produce electric.  There is an automatic transfer switch.  It is a 3 cyl. kubota with a 7.5 head. It was running 2- 1500 watt heaters  and the fridge,  getting ready for our 3 week trip to Fla. tomorow am from cold north central Pa.  I am not sure how to check the tranfer switch . 
1983  Eagle  10 S

Offline YeomansEagle

Re: Generator Quit
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 03:22:26 PM »
I'm not sure about your Generator but mine has a cicuit breaker on the Generator and also in main Panel. I would suggest turning heaters & Generator off and checking the breakers. Maybe toggle Breakers off & back on. Then restart generator. As always be very careful when working with electricity.

YeomansEagle
Who the Son sets free is free indeed.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:56:41 PM »
Just to chime in on something that I know little about, I would guess that if you just stopped getting current suddenly and you do not smell something radically burnt, you probably have a relatively minor problem.  As said above check your breakers first since that is the easiest thing to do.  If reseting them (turning them off and on) doesn't do anything, then start from the beginning and work forward.  That means test to see if current is coming from the generator.  If it is, move up to the next link in the chain; that could be your transfer switch or a conjunction box, etc.  If you find current, keep moving forward until you get to the problem.  If you do not find current at some point, then you know the problem is in between that and the last place you had current.  If you did not get current leaving the generator, look to see if there is a breaker integral to the genset or if some wires have become loose.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »
Basic question, do you know how to check power out of the gen set, and at the transfer box?  If not one of us will be glad to walk you through it.

Give me a call if you wish.   863-604-3701 anytime.

Bill
In Sunny Florida
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:43:18 PM »
To do any testing it is imperative that you have a voltage tester. You can not test the unit by checking for current. You have to check for voltage. Either a trouble light of the proper voltage with test leads or an el cheapo voltmeter from Radio Shack or any automotive parts place. Then start checking for voltage at the circuit breakers and then downstream to the automatic transfer switch.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Sojourner

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »
BillC...can you give us your brand & model no.?

This can reduce time, confusing to yourself & us. We can work from there more straight forward as what your problem may be.

Picture of generator/motor and transfer box can help....more so if don't have brand & model #.

We can give you step by step after above information achieved.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline BillC

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 04:55:22 PM »
I can not read the sticker on the gen head. the trans switch i will go read in a few mins. i have a 120 volt and a 240  volt tester with lead wires is this what you mean Richard   thanks Bill C
1983  Eagle  10 S

Offline Don Fairchild

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 05:07:56 PM »
Bill if the brakers are not tripped and you have no voltage I would sepect the voltage regulator next. I have a problem with mine in that it will run for a short time putting out voltage and then the engine will shut off, you can restart it and it will run for about 3 min and it shuts down again. I have not found the problem yet. Any suggestions.

Don

Offline BillC

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 05:20:41 PM »
I just tested the switch and the lead from the gen,  the gen wire is not hot . Numbers on the head are   salr11305   made in england          BCX164A                     WD6   73       machine ID      97484844        The transfer switch had power when i plug in the shore power .       Bill C
1983  Eagle  10 S

Offline BillC

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »
  I  also took the cover off the top of the head and have no power there either .  I did not smell anything burning and it all looks normal inside the box         Bill C
1983  Eagle  10 S

Sojourner

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »
Does it have brushes?

Winding not burned or black or blistered?

No picture yet....is it direct drive?

Is it blowing a lot of air from generator's fan.....would indicate if drive coupling is slipping!!

No brand name and/or picture is an opening to many suggestion.

In the mean time hope the right suggestion will fix it.

Picture may be your quickest responds with the fix.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 12:46:06 AM »
Sounds like a bad breaker or reset needed at the Genhead - HTH
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline Marcus

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 05:24:17 AM »
Don ,I don't know what brand of engine you have on the genny, but I had the same problem with shutting down at times. I have an Izuzu diesel. It has oil pressure and temp sensors. I replaced both and my problem was solved. Marc

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 06:23:40 AM »
I spoke with BillC last night.  He is going to go ahead and head south to Florida  Perhaps overnight in N.C. at a RV Park, so he can plug into shore power.  Then Sunday, he'll come on down to Florida.  He is headed for the Space Coast the first three night, name Satillite Beach.  After that he is a little bit open.  May come down Arcaida way, then over to Venice.

Somewhere along the way, we need to get him help with this problem.  He can see no breakers at the gen set and believe's the gen set is producing no power.

What do you say, anybody around Jacksonville, Daytona, etc that can help?

Just (Sat 10:25a) spoke with Bill C's wife.  They still hope to depart this morning.

Bill W.

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline BillC

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 06:36:35 AM »
Hi Bill     I just tore the top half of the gen head off,  the rearbearing looks good  alot of road  dust in  there  blew it   out  and put it back together,  i  found no breakers or switches , i checked  all wires  in the box  and still no  power.We are leaving at 10 am sat morn with long  johns  and  blankets  looks  like the aqua  hot will be installed  soon.               See Ya on the SUNNY side       [still snowing]         Bill C 
1983  Eagle  10 S

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal