Author Topic: Black water tanks - "natural" vs. "more natural"  (Read 5309 times)

Offline DROdio

• WonderlandBus
  • 1989 VanHool T-815 - "WonderlandBus"
    • WonderlandBus.com
Black water tanks - "natural" vs. "more natural"
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:59:51 PM »
OK so it's pretty clear to me that i shoudn't be using the "blue" chemical black tank cleansers, because I want to foster bacterial growth in the black water tank to break everything down.

However, I'm wondering which of these 2 methods is better:

1. the "Geo Method" proposed by http://home.mindspring.com/~cbruni/index.html .  Basically this writer suggests only using some powdered water softener and laundry detergent in the black water tank.

2. the "enzyyme" approach, as proffered here: http://www.valterra.com/RV/inthenews.htm and http://www.sea-zyme.com/

3. the "good bacteria" approach, as proffered here: www.eco-save.com

Right now I'm inclined to go the eco-save approach, but let me know if you have other suggestions...  Also please let me know if you've used eco-save.
"WonderlandBus"
1989 VanHool T-815

Daniel@WonderlandBus.com
www.WonderlandBus.com

Offline phil4501

Re: Black water tanks - "natural" vs. "more natural"
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:15:19 PM »
I vote for eco-save, enzymes too slow for how long we camp. I have no experience with the first method but it seems it would work good with a starter, left from the previous batch.

Make sure the tank is vented well.

Phi Zisakis

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 07:58:40 PM »
I use the Eco stuff from Camping World.  The make slips my mind, but it comes in a green box.  Use the powder that doesn't have a smell.  Works well.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline gus

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 09:10:43 PM »
DRO,

We use nothing, it doesn't take much to get the little guys to grow fast. I get some very minor odor if the tank gets a really good shaking up but this doesn't happen too often and is caused by lack of a good vent than anything else.

Just don't completely empty the tank or was it out so the microbes can keep growing.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 01:14:59 AM »
YEAST
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline Hobe

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 03:12:27 PM »
In 20 years of camping. I have never used anything in my black gray tank. I have never had a problem with anything hard in my tank. I dump it every 4 or 5 days when we get to a dump station. The sloshing back and forth keeps it sturred up and it flushes clean. Fred North Florida Bus Conversion

Offline TomCat

• It's 4:20 somewhere...
    • Jay's Conversion Pics
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 03:41:10 PM »
All I have ever put in my black tank is...
1. Number One
2. Number Two
3. Toilet paper
4. Water
and have not had a foul smell or any type of blockage.

Jay
87 SaftLiner
On The High Plains of Colorado

Offline boogiethecat

• HeartMagic
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 10:55:44 PM »
 I vote for Eco Save.  I've used it in da Crown for 4 years now and it's great.  Gives a nice aroma to the tanks, breaks things down really well, never anything but good.
That said, I don't like their powdered form, only the liquid. I've tried both and the powder stuff seems to not keep things smelling as good...
1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal