Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 4232 times)

Offline Brill-o

« on: June 02, 2006, 08:08:14 PM »

Hello-

My first post here. I'm not even sure I'm in the right place!

A Gent' gave me a bus this afternoon. It's a 1946-48 Brill. I believe it's a type 35, 41, or 44.

It was driven to where it sits roughly 20-25 years ago. The outside has no dents except on a few of the front trim.
They were going to make a camper out of it, but only got as far as removing the passenger seats and the wall trim on one side. it has 3-4 busted side panes and one widshield side is cracked, as is one rear glass. I took some pics'.

I'm in a quandry as to wether I should pay to have it hauled home or not. I would like to see if I could get it running as I was informed everything worked when they parked it.

Does anyone here know anything about this old girl or where I might get some info on repair procedures, parts, tips, etc? Thanks in advance-

Cheers..

Ps- I have another Coach as well--A Bluebird.

Mind the Gap!

Ace

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 08:16:10 PM »
congrats ont he new/old find. It's definitely older than me but that doesn't mean it isn't worth anything! Since you alreadyown one coach your not really a newbie and Iwould have it hauled to where you could inspect it further and deeper.

As for information about, and tips on how to? Well you already found one of two of the best sources there are as you'll soon see from the responses that you'll get from posting!

Good luck with your venture!

Ace

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:35:02 PM »
Greetings Brill-o,

Welcome to the board - you are certainly in the correct place!  Please post some pictures when you get a chance! 

Best Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Brill-o

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:30:58 PM »
Hello again, and thank you for the warm welcome!

I thought it best to post some pics on the specific picture posting thread, but for some reason it keeps telling me my file is too large even when I shrunk it to the size of a postage stamp!
 I'lll have the Wife try tomorrow eve'.

I did read some posts on pic posting on another thread. That's how I at least got to the point of being able to load- if not process them.

Are there other "Brill-ees" or "Brill-ettes" here?

Thanks once more and I'll try my best to get the pics' loaded tomorrow.

Cheers..
Mind the Gap!

Dallas

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 12:25:23 AM »
Welcome Brill-o!
I think I'm the only one here that ever had or heard of an ACF-Brill, unless some of the lurkers out there have one and wish to chime in.
Mine was a 1936 26' beauty with a Straight 8 Motor and a 4 speed crash box. I owned it about 20 years before the ex-vice president invented the internet.
I really enjoyed it more than my GM, it was simple to work on, built like a tank and took me thousands of miles.
For eye catching appeall, you'll find it ranks right up there with Scenics and Clippers. Total strangers will stop you and want to look at it.
The down side for me was that wonderful Buick motor, even back then it was difficult to find parts for right off the shelf.
I always wanted to repower with a 4-53 or even a 4-71 Detroit Diesel.
My advise, drag the bus home and take your time looking it over, then decide from there.
If you decide not to keep it, you shouldn't have any trouble getting rid of it!

Oh yes. Photo's have to be under 128Kb to post. You sound like you are just resizing the picture and not reducing the resolution. Try going to google and using their program called 'Picasa'.

Dallas

Offline edvanland

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 09:43:34 AM »
Back in the early 70s I helped my friend converat a Brill, his had the pancake 6 in it.  The help I did was a parts washer when he rebuilt the engine, didn't know there were so many parts to wash and all the years of grime and grease under there.  He really did a nice job of converting it for his family of 5.  We traveled with him many a mile in our stick and staples MH.  I guess that is where I got the bus bug. 
Welcome
ED
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

NCbob

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 03:38:59 PM »
There are still many of those beautiful Buick straight 8's out there for sale.  Condition, don't know.  But they were one helluva an engine.  My Dad always drove Buick Roadmasters w/straight 8's but he broke my heart when he bought that '53 with the V-8!  >:(

My all time favorites though, were the straight 8 Packards.  I had a '41 Packard LeBaron which would wind out, with patience, to 85 MPH in SECOND!  :o  What a rip!

The gals called that car "Dreamboat".  :D  It had straps on either side in the back seat....to hang your shirts on...... ::)

NCbob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal