Author Topic: another newbie question  (Read 2041 times)

Offline scottie

another newbie question
« on: February 14, 2008, 07:34:47 AM »
hi everyone
was looking at a mci9 the other day.
looking at the engine there are two belts running over to the right hand side.
is the device it goes to a air compresser???
these two belts were both turning,but the out side belt(closer to the back of the bus) was slipping badly on the pulley and it didnt seem like that pulley was turning very much? but the inside  pulley  looked like it was turning properly?
whats the story here??? just need to be tighten??
scottie
thanks

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: another newbie question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:40:20 AM »
Scottie,
Yes that is an A/C compressor! & the "pully that appeared not be turning much is because is isn't supposed to! (at least not in cold weather!LOL!) The clutch was probably not engaged, when it is engaged the are locked together and turn together! Both belt drive the same twin grove pulley and the clutch is in the center of it! HTH
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline scottie

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 08:03:55 AM »
thanks bk
so it was working properly!!
any time i see a belt slipping , it usually is  something not working right......
its comeing up in a auction this saturday,and i needed to know BEFORE  i bid
thanks
scottie

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 08:12:17 AM »
Well if the belt was actually slipping it is probably just way loose (probably old and stretched)! These should always be replaced in pairs. We used to buy "matched sets" meaning they had the same production run code. But in a recent thread someone said they don't sell them that way anymore & that with todays technology they all match! ("yea right" that's what I was think'n! LOL!) But that is the story an I'm stick'n to it!
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 08:16:25 AM »
You know, this is one of the questions I see here that amaze me!  I would not have had a clue there was a clutch between the belts.
Thanks to Scottie for asking...and Bryce for answering!
BTW, Bryce, I looked at your website for the tour company yesterday, pretty neat!
Next time in the area I plan to stop in and meet you and yours!
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline Stan

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:52:37 AM »
I never noticed the Lakeside Travel link before so I had a look. Nice website but I wonder about the name. I hope there is no relationship between the KY in the name and the better known use of that product. :)

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:14:02 AM »
BK, I don't have an MCI so it isn't something I "need" to understand, but I am curious.  Do you know why they built it so that one belt is always turning the compressor pulley while the other in the pair isn't?  I'm sure I'm missing something here, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 11:45:19 AM »
OK wait a minute let me clear this up, and yes I suppose I did a poor job of explaining it in the first place. There in not a clutch between the pulleys. It is a single pulley with 2 belt grooves, both belts are pulling the same pulley! But sometimes you get a stretched belt that doesn't pull it's fair share of the load. The clutch assembly is in the center of the pulley, on some models is plainly visable & on some it is hidden inside the pulley. On the ones that it is visable on you'll see the belts & pully turning, but the center staying still (when the compressor is off). But when it needs the compressor on you can see the clutch kick in and the center will start spinning too! (I wish our MCI was here so I could take a photo to demonstrate.) It's pretty much like the A/C compressor on a car or P/U only lots bigger!
(I hope I have cleared this up and as easy to see thru as mud! LOL!) ;D  BK  ;D

[quote author]
BTW, Bryce, I looked at your website for the tour company yesterday, pretty neat!
Next time in the area I plan to stop in and meet you and yours!
Jack[/quote]
Thank you, and you are welcome to stop in anytime we have PLENTY of room.

I never noticed the Lakeside Travel link before so I had a look. Nice website but I wonder about the name. I hope there is no relationship between the KY in the name and the better known use of that product. :)

Again, thank you. And no the KY in the name did not come from that product! When we starter our bus company I had my garage already which was a full time job in itself! The bus thing was for a retirement project (hobby) for dad as he loves driving buses and meeting & hauling people. We already drove and serviced buses for my uncle who owned a charter bus company which was locted right next door to my shop! But in October of 2003 my uncle decided to hang it up & he and his partner sold the business to another man on a lease/purchase contract. At first everything stayed the same and we still drove & maintained the buses for the new owner. But in a short time he had almost completely quit using my us as a drivers (he was try'n to weed us out as we were related to one of the guys he was screwing over), and was attempting to restructure the way the buses were maintained. He wanted to take over the shop and have me work for him on a salary, taking care of just HIS buses and be on call 24/7, be up all hrs. of the day & night and have the buses running and ready so that when his pet drivers got there all they needed to do was jump in and go (not even a pretrip inspection was required of the driver in his eyes). And the salary he was offering was a joke I could drive 3 days a week elsewhere and make more than he was paying! Anyway one day as I was talking to a friend in the business about some parts I needed he some how mentione he "was fixing to cut up that SETRA, we have here for parts. I want to use the auto trans in a MCI I have with a cummins and a 6spd." I'd seen the SETRA he was talking about as he and his father had tried to sell it to the guy who bought out my uncle, but he wanted nothing to do with it because it had a "BOAT ANCHOR" in it! (his opinion of an 8V92) I couldn't believe that they were going to cut up a perfectly good bus just because (a) it wasn't their brand [MCI] (b) nobody wanted it (they hadn't really tried to sell it, as they only occassionally asked a person if they were interested in it & they had not put for sale signs in it, & had not advertised it in anyway!
So I asked him what they wanted for it. He said hang on talk to dad, and transfered me. His dad told me they were asking $15,000 for it. I told him I didn't have $15,000 an he asked me if I could come up with $5,000 and make payments. I said "Well yeah!"  and next thing we knew we had abus for dad to start his hobby company with! (I wish he had been interested in a conversion! LOL!) Anyway when I brought the bus home and had it in front of the shop working on it, the guy that had bought my uncles company saw it and came over and looked at it. After he looked at it he said "wow, this thing is nicer than I'd imagined" and walked of. A few minutes later he came back and angerly asked "Did you buy that from Jones Brooks?" and I said yes!  He got really pissed and said "well I guess I won't be having the work done on my buses here anymore!" When I aske why he said, "that would be feeding the compitition". I argued that we were aiming to be competition, but actually wanted to work with him sisnce he was always getting extra buses from a company in Memphis to help him when he over booked. He said "naw there ain't enough bus business around here for 2 of us! I GUARANTEE you won't be in the business a year!" Well the rest is history and so is he! We are still here, but he ain't! Now when we started it we named it KY Lakeside Travel because mom & Dad lived up on KY Lake also known as the TN River(they still have a house up there and use it as their primary address even though they spend most of their time down here in TN!!) Several times I have tried get dad to change it. But he says no thats what we started it as, thats what it'll stay.
;D  BK  ;D

www.kylakesidetravel.net

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal