Author Topic: Heart Freedom inverter has gone further south than i have!  (Read 2568 times)

Offline John Z

• 1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota
  • "Tubby"
    • Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
Heart Freedom inverter has gone further south than i have!
« on: February 22, 2008, 08:50:38 AM »
Well what next? Last night, 5 minutes into a movie the inverter trips out with an overload fault indicated. The only thing i have on the inverter are a small color tv, my home surround sound system, a laptop, and 2 CFL's. The inverter has never tripped in the last year even while running all of this. At the time the lights were not on as we only had a small 12v light on. I shut the computer off and tried again and it tripped after about 3 or 4 minutes with the same indicator.    This morning with nothing plugged in at all, it immediately trips with the overload fault.    This is an older inverter and i don't have a manual for it, and doubt i can find one online. Do any of you know of anything i should check on this. Is it worth my opening it up and snooping around in there? Or do i look for a place in south TX to pick up a new one! I hate having to run the genset just for something small like the laptop and a light or two. TIA
Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"

Offline Hartley

Re: Heart Freedom inverter has gone further south than i have!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 08:59:09 AM »
Check to make sure that the fan has not died.

An overload/fault condition is sensed if the inverter gets too hot, fan quits,
or just about for any reason, Not necessarily related to an actual overload.

It also will fault if the controller senses a variance in the output that is
nor expected.

They need a lot of open airspace around them to
cool the power transistors.

Run it until it trips and then feel the case to see if it is hot to the touch. If it is
then the fan is either not cycling or is blocked up.

To reset the controller, disconnect the main power cable and wait 5 minutes,
re-attach the cable and see if it straightens out.

That's all I got...
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline John Z

• "Tubby"
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:12:07 AM »
Thanks Dave, i will try the disconnect and let it sit to see if it resets itself. The fan was cooling last night when it happened. The inverter also has a overtemp light as well as overload. This morning it trips instantly when it is turned on,,, and this is with nothing plugged into it. So it is not a heat issue. I used it last summer set up this way with no problems. I will go out and unhook it and let it sit for 10 minutes while i have something to eat. Thanks again for the info.
www.silverbrook-mn.com

Offline John Z

• "Tubby"
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:49:55 AM »
Nope, that did not work. Left it unplugged for a while. Hooked the power cable back to it, and without any thing plugged into it turned it on. It went to an overload fault in about one second. So if there is nothing to chk inside it,,, i think it is toast for now. Maybe i will stop and pick up a cheap one from the truck stops to at least run the tv and surround sound.
www.silverbrook-mn.com

luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:53 AM »
John, you can buy a small one at WM ,Sams or Auto Zone for about 1/2 the price of one from a truck stop.Save money eat more seafood and BBQ with what you save  have a great day

Offline TomCat

• It's 4:20 somewhere...
    • Jay's Conversion Pics
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:08:25 PM »
John,

I have the installation and owners manuals for a 2500 watt Heart Freedom inverter...the older ones with a black case.
If there is any info I can supply you with, let me know.

Jay
87 SaftLiner
On The High Plains of Colorado

Offline Don Fairchild

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »
John;

It is my understanding that there are three circuit boards in the heart 25 inverter. You have a bad board, It's probably the main board. I have been talking to a guy here in cal that can get you a new one or repair yours. Mine went out and it will be more to fix it than I can buy a new one for. The boards are around $550. ea from what I have been told. You may be able to find a better deal on the e place, or from some one in your area.

Hope this helps

Don

Offline John Z

• "Tubby"
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 07:01:45 PM »
Just dropped the hook in Alamo TX for the night. Sitting in a walmart so i ran inside to pick up a 750 watt which should easily run the tv and sound system. Don - i think your right about the cost of the board being more than the inverter would be worth even when working. I will limp along with the wm cheapie until i can pick up a better unit. I need to get up to 2000 watts so i can run my air while OTR. Jay - thanks for the offer of the manual info. I really would not know what to look for myself, unless i open up the case and see something that is obviously burned etc. BTW, the case on this one is blue. Not sure how old it is, but suspect it is pretty old. Buddy gave it to me cuz it didn't work,,, just needed a new fan,, that much i could handle.

Interesting,,, the walmart about 10 miles east kicked us out before we could get out of our chairs. This one has designated parking lanes for RV and commercial trucks! So we loaded up on groceries etc, and the inverter in Alamo!
www.silverbrook-mn.com

Offline John Z

• "Tubby"
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 07:05:29 PM »
Clifford, you were right about the beach area! Had to force myself to leave there! Actually when i was leaving, i only made it 6.5 miles down the beach and stopped for a third night. I am doing my best to fill up on shrimp,,, had some good food at Little Joe's in Port A. Lovin' this trip in spite of a few minor setbacks.
www.silverbrook-mn.com

Offline John Z

• "Tubby"
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 09:46:32 PM »
Well it looks like i should open the case up and look for anything that might be loose, or can be reseated. When i went to hookup the inverter i bought from wm tonight i thought i should try again. So i switched the old inverter on, and instead of tripping off right away like it did the last few times, it stayed on. So i plugged the computer into it and chked email etc. Then i turned on the tv and sound system and watched a two hour movie without it ever going off. Going to carry the new walmart one with for a few days as a spare though.
www.silverbrook-mn.com

Dreamscape

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 04:49:59 AM »
Hi John,

Glad to hear that you are doing ok and enjoying Texas hospitality and the shrimp of course.

Hope the rest of the trip will be less of a hassle so you and the wife can enjoy life!

Have fun and stay in touch, always read to see what you guys are up to.

Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal