Author Topic: The 8V71 is coming out!  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Fredward

• 2000 Country Coach Magna (not a bus)
The 8V71 is coming out!
« on: March 01, 2008, 12:38:35 PM »
So I've got the engine dolly, the bus is inside and I've got lots of ambition. Guess its time to stop talking and start walking! I'm going to pull the engine and change the clutch. While the engine is out I plan to have the rack run by a local Detroit mechanic. Also replace any hoses; inspect the cradle and see if maybe I can add some structure to better support a hitch. I've had some cracking in the metal where the cradle attaches to the uprights; but we were able to weld that with the bus up on the run up blocks.

Any suggestions for the removal/replacement process would be welcome. They tell me to put the tires up on about 6" blocks so that the bottle jacks fit underneath. Then using bottle jacks, I should be able to lift the body high enough to get the dolly underneath the engine and lower it into the cradle. Looks like I have about 2 inches of clearance above the compressor so I won't be letting it down far.

Gumpy says to take lots of pictures and call him when I'm done.  :-\

Fred
Fred Thomson

Ncbob

Re: The 8V71 is coming out!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »
Good on ya, Fred. Isn't that the way the Aussies say it?  But whatever you're in for a real experience.
You thought you were 'one with your bus' up until now?  Hang on pardner. Here's where the rubber meets the road, as they say.

You're going to get a good look under the skirts of this fine old lady to the point where, without violating her principles, you will find and correct any problems.

I don't regret one penny I spent back at the beginning with this bus.  It has proven that MCI not only built a bus for the ages..but in the hands of a caring owner...they're INVINCIBLE!

With all due apologies to our GM brethren.......

Bob

Offline Stan

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:05:08 PM »
Even if you are doing anything else with the dropbox, you should change the seal on the input shaft when the engine is out.

This is a good opportunity to clean all the places that you can't normally get to and then paint the engine compartment.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:53:20 PM »

Gumpy says to take lots of pictures and call him when I'm done.  :-\

Yessir. He did say that. That's almost an exact quote!  :D

He might come over and watch the fun, though.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal