Author Topic: Bus scrapes in driveway  (Read 5617 times)

Offline HB of CJ

Re: Bus scrapes in driveway
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 01:20:18 PM »
Wow, it never occured to you to check the driveway for coach clearance....before you moved into the house?  :) :) :)

Offline klw5718

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »
I would like to thank every one for there input it has been a great help. I did take the bus to the house before the purchase of the home and parked it in driveway so I could take pictures for HOA. In SO CAL it was very difficult to find a home that will allow you to park the bus in the area I wanted to live. Have been busing for 20yrs, been to many rallies and a member of several bus groups. I just kind of fell of the radar. Thanks again Kent 1985 Eagle

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 06:52:15 PM »
One other consideration; as driveway width allows, go in and out at an angle.  I know, you probably have already thought of this.  Just in case you didn't...
Dennis
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 02:34:09 PM »
klw5718;

Sorry I jumped on you.  It was not appropriate and I am sorry.  Good days...bad days.  Yeah, having lived in Southern California for 40 years, I understand the impact of local ordnances and stuff.  Maybe just some short 2x12's in the sweet spots will get your coach up your driveway.  :) :) :)

Offline ghanson

• MC 9
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 04:27:52 PM »
I didn't read all the replys to this so someone may have mentioned it, but I have the same problem putting my bus in it's home.  I just put a roller on the trailer hitch so that it rolls instead of scrapes  on the concrete.  Here's some photos.  YMMV......g
ghanson MC 9
ghanson@ipapilot.org

Offline ghanson

• MC 9
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »
.....and here's another angle.  A friend of mine built this little device and I probably have $50 into it.  g
ghanson MC 9
ghanson@ipapilot.org

Sojourner

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 07:57:18 AM »
Good point..ghanson!
Rollers under end of coach.

Have seen them on new SS a few years back. They use steel or cast iron wheels to take more pressure of side scrubbing on pavement. I would think swivel caster is better than straight but it has to be mounted in angle of the line from bottom of rear tire to bottom of caster wheel so it will swivel to the direction of the movement. Otherwise it can get knock off from uneven pavement’s surface. The larger diameter the wheel the better to accommodate most pavement condition.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline ghanson

• MC 9
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 12:23:05 PM »
This thing is just a flat roller and it doesn't have any bearings in it.  I figured I'd keep it simple, as anything with bearings would significantly add to the cost, and it was hard to find anything that could take the weight.  In fact, I looked around, and couldn't, so I gave up on the swivel idea pretty quickly.

It doesn't spend a lot of time on the ground - only about 6-8 feet as I roll through that area, and if there is any sideways movement, which in my case there isn't, it can just scrap sideways a little. 

If you're turning too much, enough to need a caster  while your back end is hitting the ground, it might be wise to consider the logistics of putting the bus in that location in the first place.  I only use this in this garage.  If I'm out on the road, I don't even have the thing with me.  g
ghanson MC 9
ghanson@ipapilot.org

Offline pete81eaglefanasty

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 05:41:03 PM »
 I just put the one's from Camping World on about 5 years ago, they have been working out pretty good. But now that I got the Bus raised they hardly ever hit. here is a Picture. There is one on each side

Pete & Jean
                FANTASY
WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal