Author Topic: Warming my heart...ot I guess....  (Read 5874 times)

Offline travelingfools

Warming my heart...ot I guess....
« on: February 26, 2008, 07:24:08 AM »
We got our bus last thanksgiving and I have taken a lot of kidding about it from family and friends and a lot of doubters who said it will never be done..That being said, I have a 16 year old daughter that we've gone through the typical adolesence problems with, and she'd rather be with her friends than Mom and Dad, and would only reluctnly come with us camping in our old S&S....
Soooooo..we've got friends in SanDiago that we'd love to visit (From Niagara Falls), and as we were discussing it the other day, I mentioned to her that the only way we could do it would be to drive ...she replied..and i quote..."As long as we take the bus, it would be awesome".....Sort of makes it all worth it !
John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT

HighTechRedneck

Re: Warming my heart...ot I guess....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:27:15 AM »
I wouldn't say that is off topic.  In fact I would say that story is right on the mark as an example of the real joy of being a bus nut.

Songman

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:35:47 AM »
I think we have all been where you are... Some of us wish we were as far along as you are! All of my family is certain that the bus will never get done... Except for my 11 year old daughter who wants it more than the rest of us because she has been promised a bunk with a pull-down DVD player. I should probably hurry because she may not feel the same by the time she is 16.

skipn

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:53:15 AM »

That is a great feeling I'm sure! For us We always put off until tomorrow some of the normal
 family things and before you know it the kids were grown and gone. I now have a second chance
 with my 2 grandaughters and another one on the way. The funny thing is my daughters are
 just excited about the bus as if they were still little kids.

Sometimes we get lucky but don't wait to long they grow up so fast (BT didn't DT)

Skip

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:36:28 AM »
I can relate to the story about little girls and daddy's bus. ;D
Our girls are grown and married now but when they were little and we had a 1960 model PD4104 still under construction we use to go on vacation with that old PD4104 and it was a lot of fun.
Every now and then one of them will call me on their cell phone and say Dad we saw a PD4104 while we were out driving around.
I will say this the girls know their old GMC coaches.
jlv

cody

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:54:16 AM »
Nobody can question the importance of family time and a bus makes this a reality for so many of us.  We've had rv's of one kind or another since 1976 when we bought a small travel trailer. Our oldest was born in 1981 and since she was a baby she has put on miles with us, when our youngest was born in 1983, we needed more room so we bought our first class C, and they traveled with us, disposable diapers were the greatest thing since sliced bread for us lol.  In 1989 we bought our first class A, a 32 ft revcon, we needed the room and they traveled with us, now we take our grand kids with us on a regular basis.  At home we still have the travel trailer, an 18ft 1964 Frolic, that we've parked at some beach property that we own and the kids use it now and then, we still have the Revcon also and my daughters use that for camping trips, my oldest daughter and her husband have already put this years plates on the revcon and are planning on using it as soon as the weather breaks up there, we'll be doing joint camping trips thruout the summer.  Some of my fondest memories growing up were the camping trips I took with my parents with their 1959 travel trailer but it was shiney and new back then.  I just can't think of a better way to spend time with your family than the rving style, just think of the memories that your building. I wouldn't be surprised if they graduate to buses at some point.

Sojourner

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:28:17 AM »
My folk took us all children from cold February Michigan to 6 weeks journey into west coast...CA, across Mexico border to get a .25 cent ring, to Crater Lake in Oregon. And many, many places. We rent a Alma travel trailer pull with a brand new (3wk old) 1949 Ford with overdrive.

I will never forget that trip and went via Route 66....now it just memory.

I think your daughter might enjoy it wherever you go while young. Then when they grow older it be a story to tell & remember the pass time.

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

cody

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:34:24 AM »
Jerry that brings up a thought, I'm sure the old route 66 has long since disappeared but does anyone know of area's of it that still exist? One of the things on my Bucket List is to travel route 66, my wife scratched off my date with jennifer lopez for some odd reason but that one is still there lol.  Wouldn't that make a fantastic family outing.

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »
Jerry that brings up a thought, I'm sure the old route 66 has long since disappeared but does anyone know of area's of it that still exist? One of the things on my Bucket List is to travel route 66, my wife scratched off my date with jennifer lopez for some odd reason but that one is still there lol.  Wouldn't that make a fantastic family outing.

Cody, Route 66 isn't nearly the tourism trek it once was, but there are still some areas still supporting the landmarks.

http://www.historic66.com/

http://www.national66.com/

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-Mainpage.html

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 06:56:35 PM »
Roadrunnertex,
How proud can a daddy get, right??!!
Dennis
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 07:30:24 PM »
Cody, every time I am near an old section of Route 66 I jump on it.  One of the best goes by the Amboy Crater in California, just west of Needles off I-40.  I climbed to the top of the crater...it was AWESOME!

When we got our bus, Dianne was like..."well that's your project Jack."

Went to Kyle's Non-Rally, went through Dave and Carols, Tom Hammricks, and a host of others I can't quite bring up the names...got home, she called a couple of hours after me leaving for Florida...said"Hey Jackie, I've been out in the bus...I know where I am putting MY kitchen and MY bathroom!"  All of a sudden she's as excited as me!

Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Sojourner

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »
Yes all above posts and more http://maps.google.com/
Type in Route 66
Then click on Satellite at upper right corner of map. You can switch back to traditional map anytime.

I think you will love this satellite viewing and scroll alone the highway to see the old Route 66.

Enjoy!

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Songman

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »
My first time on Route 66, I knew I had to stay in one of the old strip motels and live the experience as fully as I could anyway. Obviously it hasn't been like the heydey in decades but it was a blast. The hotel I chose had little plaques on the door of famous people who had stayed there. My room said 'Burl Ives slept here'. I think the room still had the same mattress because it was flattened out on one side! Another room said Bill Haley. It was a blast. Somewhere in New Mexico I think. There are lots of little parts of Route 66 left that parallel I-40. It's a whole lot slower but the experience is worth it.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 11:49:52 PM »
Great Topic Travelling Fool!

I was just shooting the breeze with Julie the other night, talking about how easy the next bus will be with all the experience's gained from this one. 

My Son piped up that I "Can't start another one until I build one for his Sister and His family"  :o

And he's only 7.  Yeah, I think they like this "Bus Hobby"!  ;D

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 04:29:36 AM »
Now Cliff...if you decide your next bus needs to look like a Buffalo that hit a bridge...why hell I'll sell you one...in fact...you don't have far to go to find it... ;D
By the way...where is that bumper!LOL
Great kids buddy!
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal