Author Topic: Help me with my engine - id this stuff  (Read 7234 times)

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
Help me with my engine - id this stuff
« on: February 27, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »
It's finally warming up enough to think of changing oil etc. I am really just learning this stuff about DD's and the systems so bear with me.

First, I have my oil but I'm not sure where my filter is or even how many and what type to buy. I know, dumb question. I see what appears to be a filter on the right side of the engine and down low on the mount. Is that it? What is in the rear, sort of high ( can be seen in last photo at bottom)? Maybe I can post some pics if I don't load this up too much with them.
Any tips on what else to look at and duties to to perform while changing oil? Grease zerks etc?

Also, this valve is leaking some air. Before I go tearing into it can someone tell me what is is?

What is this? Part of the OTR air? It's just inside the right hand door where the stuff used to be:

Last thing, when I bought the bus the p.o was saying something about a part that was supposed to go in the picture below. He stuffed a bit of napkin in it and I drove home and forgot all about it.
What is supposed to go there and where do I get it?
Location is top of blower next to air intake.

Thanks!

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline TomC

Re: Help me with my engine - id this stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 03:43:54 PM »
Picture one looks more like two fuel filters-but usually the fuel filters are mounted higher up on the engine.
Picture two looks like an air accululator possibly for the engine shut off
Picture three is a quick release to hook up an air hose to tap the air brake system to for instance being able to air up the tires.  Then the schraeder valve on the top is to air up the air brake system without the engine running.
Picture four-don't know-maybe some kind of breather?  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 03:49:40 PM »
Doh! Didn't think of the fuel filter!
I'd imagine the lower one would be fuel and the one with the sight glass seen in the rear of picture 4 might be oil??

Thanks!
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »
Picture 4 looks to me like an Ether cup.  We had silver-colored (probably Aluminum) cups, hole in bottom and a sharp pointed tube sticking up into the cup.  The cup also had a spring-loaded cap.  Small gel capsules full of ether were inserted, the tube pierced the capsule, and just the right amount of ether was sucked into the engine for starts on cold New England days.

Arthur
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 04:02:03 PM »
#1. Fuel filters, Oil is likely on the left looking at it that way.

#3. That's where you can air up with shop air.

#4. Power steering , missing is the dip stick. ;)
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline mikelutestanski

• Mikes Metal Mistress
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:00:31 PM »
Hello:      I would strongly advise you to get a manual and read it as you tackle these systems..  The next best thing is to get someone with you who knows what he is doing..   
      If you mess up a system enough to cause a serious engine problem  the bucks will flow   and you will not be a happy camper..
    For me the pictures need to have better angles or more views to ascertain exactly where the pipe or filter goes and what system it is connected to.   For example looking into the engine compartment from the rear with the rear doors open.
     1: The fuel system is on the right.  fuel filters usually 2  primary and secondary are generally located on the right side under the exhaust manifold close to the rear support (the support is in the pix you are showing) however without more pix and info I would only guess.
2: As another gentlemen suggested the oil filter is on the left about midway on the engine (if you look in the drivers side engine compartment door the filter is in view under the exhaust manifold near the pan area.
3;  looking at the pix with the rag  the filter receiver  at the back of the engine on the right is the power steering reservoir.But it is unclear where the pipe with the rag in it goes.. If it goes to the air intake then it could be an ether resovoir depending on the size of the pipe(unclear).
      SO you see it is not easy to know exactly what you have there.   I would hesitate to have you put the wrong oil in a system or follow the wrong procedure and cause damage.. 
     For example the oil filter is filled with oil right to the top before you install it. There is a reason to do this. the engine can possibly be ruined if the filter is installed  empty.     (my Saturn oil filter is horizontal so you cannot fill it prior to installation and with such a small filter the engine picks up and works fine).
      Fuel filters need to be filled and the system purged of air before the engine will start .  If you run out of fuel and allow air in the system  it gets interesting .
       SO procedures are important
      I hate to be a spoilsport but please be careful: if you have no idea what you are doing; get help..People giving information from a few views may be right but can you afford to make a costly mistake.. My advice again is to get a manual  and read it front to back  and get help the first time you change oil or fuel filters.
       I was fortunate that in my neighborhood a retired hound mechanic filled me in on some of the maintenance procedures  to get my bus ready to roll.
           Sorry   to be a damper.. your enthusiasm is great.        happy bussin    mike   

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 05:24:26 PM »
Mike -
ednj is absolutely correct.  Picture number 2 is an air pressure regulator to run the piston that tensions the belt, and I think it may lead to something else, but there is no doubt about what it is.

Oil fill is likely on top of your drivers side valve cover, like on older cars.  Oil should be 40 wt. 

You need a dipstick for that power steering reservoir - the cannister toward the front of the bus with a sight glass.  Some power steering used 40wt oil, some used automatic tranny fluid - determine what is in your system before you add any.

I'd remove the quick release fitting on your air line in picture 3, and put on the male end so that you can attach your shop air which usually has the female end on the hose.  This airline will air up your whole bus.

Definitely get a manual.  Mike is correct, mistakes can ruin your day and bus!  Good luck, ask questions and HAVE FUN!!! ;D
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »
Pix two (from the bottom) looks like shutterstat controls....does (did) your coach have shutterstats?  Turning the little T screw off will shut off the 'stats.  If they work, leave'em on.  If they leak air...turn them off.  If they're missing the cylinders...for sure leave them off.  
The description of other parts look good to me.  
BTW, the rear filter is the primary, frontmost is secondary.  
Hate to say, but looks like someone stole your OTR AC.... :o
This advice is free...probably exactly what it's worth!   ;)
Good luck, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 05:37:25 PM »
      SO you see it is not easy to know exactly what you have there.   I would hesitate to have you put the wrong oil in a system or follow the wrong procedure and cause damage.. 
     For example the oil filter is filled with oil right to the top before you install it. There is a reason to do this. the engine can possibly be ruined if the filter is installed  empty.     (my Saturn oil filter is horizontal so you cannot fill it prior to installation and with such a small filter the engine picks up and works fine).
      Fuel filters need to be filled and the system purged of air before the engine will start .  If you run out of fuel and allow air in the system  it gets interesting .

.......if you have no idea what you are doing; get help..
                 Sorry   to be a damper.. your enthusiasm is great.        happy bussin    mike   

This is really great info, what are the correct procedures?
I've changed oil a few times in my life, a couple hundred maybe so I wouldn't say that I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm well aware of priming the filter but I've never done this on the bus so what are the tips for changing it? I'm sure a few have done it right?
How do you purge the air from fuel?

I have manuals but I find that asking people who know and have been in there also supplements and clarifies things nicely...usually.

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 06:11:52 PM »
I had planned on doing my own oil changes.  After talking with my friend (a truck driver for 39 years) and how he described digging a hole big enough to put a 5 gallon pail in to catch the oil that he could,  I decided to take it to a truck stop.  They changed the oil and filter and fuel filters and let me get into the pit so I could inspect the bus.  I think this is the best way to go at least for the first oil change.  It is very educational.  HTH!
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »
The power steering filler on my MC9 is just a screw (thermos) plug.  No dipstick.  The sight glass is the level indicator.  
Not sure about exactly what MCI you have, but my oil filler is remoted to the rear of the bus just like the PS filler.  However, it is a lot larger, and obviously goes into the valve cover.
As has been said, you may wish to verify what sort of oil is in the PS res.  Both motor oil and Dexron is used in the power steering.  
Generally, red is Dexron.  Brown is motor oil.  
That gizmo on the tag fender well was also a drain.  It should be plumbed so that it can be drained.  The disconnect can be swapped for a male fitting and a small ball valve installed.  
The ability to air up the coach from there with shop air is handy.  
Regarding the fuel filters...consider installing a primer pump in the engine room.  
You'll find it useful the first time you park your coach with the street-side low and less than 1/4 tank of fuel...remember that approx 25 gallons of fuel is unuseable...you risk airing up the fuel system.  Often, without a primer, the batteries will be dead before it restarts.  If you slug air into the mechanical pump, it won't prime itself.  A small electric pump is a good item.
FWIW, when you cannot determine what something does...like the reg mounted on sidewall, look at it and chase the lines down.  It may become obvious what its purpose is.  
If the 1/4" air line goes to the blower belt cylinder valve, that's what it controls.  Don't change any pressures or regulators unless you reference the manual for the proper pressure settings.  The AC and blower belt tensioner cylinders look similar, but operate at different pressures.
JR

BTW, Tractor Supply sells a cheap, low profile watering pan that works great as a oil catch pan under a bus.  It'll go under a a bus without being aired up.  And they'll hold the requisite 27 quarts of oil.
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 07:15:23 PM »
The power steering filler on my MC9 is just a screw (thermos) plug.  No dipstick.  The sight glass is the level indicator.  

That gizmo on the tag fender well was also a drain.  It should be plumbed so that it can be drained.  The disconnect can be swapped for a male fitting and a small ball valve installed.  
The ability to air up the coach from there with shop air is handy.  

>
Yes, you are right, there I go typing faster then I think (what a dip stick)lol.
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 05:03:08 AM »
    You have received some good answers, but as was mentioned double check averything.
Some of these buses have had chamges made over the years.
    Follow the lines from the regulator in photo 2 and see where thry go. I think that controls radiator shutters and possibly blower belt temsioner.
    Photo 3.  We installed a street EL in the top of the TEE in the photo after removing the schrader valve. We installed a female quick connect fitting like the one in your photo above the TEE. We installed a ball valve in where you presently have the QC fitting to drain the system. We can connect an air hose to the QC to air up tires, floats, ect. To fill the bus from our shop air, we installed 2 male QC fittings on a ball valve. This allows us to connect the bus QC female fitting to the female QC fitting on the shop airhose.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Stan

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 05:13:43 AM »
Damaged 55 gallon barrels are usually free at a bulk oil/fuel dealer. If you cut it off just below the bottom ring it makes an ideal oil catch pan as well as a good parts wash pan. Slide it under the engine on a large piece of cardboard so that you can pull on the cardboard and eliminate the splashing that occurs when you drag the container on gravel or concrete.

The device in picture #2 is indeed a regulator and filter for an air cylinder which could be the belt tensioner or shutter cylinders or damper cylinders. It is also a lubricator and the left hand tank should have oil in it.

Offline chazwood

• Thekempters
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 06:10:20 AM »
 Walmart has those large, low profile plastic storage containers with wheels my wife likes to buy for storing sweaters, toys and everything else under the sun, under the bed. They make perfect oil pans.... roll them under, roll them out. (just stuff the sweaters back under the bed ....she never wears them and won't look till next year 8)).

oh, and one more thing .....if you replace that red lens on the service light with a clear one you might be able to see a little better. ;D
1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal