Author Topic: Stuff I bought at the RV store, But didn't really need.  (Read 9604 times)

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Stuff I bought at the RV store, But didn't really need.
« on: February 28, 2008, 06:38:09 PM »
OK, Looking to hear about stuff you bought for the Bus, Camper etc....

Because you thought you needed it, but turned out to be just dead weight or seldom if ever used....

Let me be the first up to the busnut confessional:

I bought one of the those hose end sprayers with the extension for cleaning out the black tank, never needed and has only been moved when it went from the Class C to the Bus.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
Re: Stuff I bought at the RV store, But didn't really need.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:58:38 PM »
lets see, where do I begin.

3 vacuums, finally found a great one
auto leveling system from Sean
air over electric table and various other parts from Sean (free)
various vents
backup monitor & camera. I will use the camera, but now I have that neat gadget BoogieTC recommended so I can use my regular monitor.
antenna amplifier that goes to the old antenna that blew off on my last trip.
2 burner electric cooktop - I am trying to figure out a way to install induction cooktops in the same hole.
extra heater and small pump for hydronic system - design changed
extra wire, now I use boat cable
extra wire, now I use a roll of Ru6 antenna cable I had
many many extra screws, bolts and fasteners that once I got into the job, I figured out a different way of doing it, and didn't need these.
various clamps, same as above
various and plenty pipe fittings
extra one or two radio antennas
tools I bought because I though I would use them - prime example is the drill doctor, I jsut buy new drills, but may use this sometime.  Although you can never have too many tools, even if you don't use them, becuase you might need it sometime.
built in sprayer for the black tank, never installed it.
Extra valve on my water  manifold.  I got trired of running pipe and combined my sink and shower lines, since they are on the same wall.
relay for the water pump
24 volt m16 bulbs - although I may yet use them
various LED lights - although I may yet use more of them
various indicator lights I won't use
bag of switches
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Dreamscape

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »
We're not finished with ours. So can I have all your not used, don't want, extra stuff!!! ;D

I'm sure I will have lots of stuff left over too, but right now I've bought stuff I haven't had time to install!

Keep smiling,

Paul

Offline scottwms

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:48:22 PM »
When I first got the bus, the black and grey water dump valves seemed to leak so I bought new ones. They just hadn't been used in years and were fine so now I have spares. I also bought new 12 volt directional lamps I thought I needed but they are now taking up space on a shelf in my garage. The nuts, bolts, screws, paint, etc, purchased but not used do come in handy though and I now have a tool box full of assorted hardware, wire, and connectors that have come in very useful when doing the regularly occurring repairs on my 55 year old rig, especially when out on the road or boondocking where there are no stores nearby.

Offline John Z

• 1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota
  • "Tubby"
    • Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »
I seem to have a weak spot for lights! I have bought 12v LED puck lights in bunches and have yet to install a single one. I bought a 6-pack of neat little 120v puck lights - they have been packed away under the bed so long i can't remember what kind of lights they actually are, but i do know they were pretty neat looking when i spotted them in Lowes. I bought a pair of 12v lights from a lumber type store that are designed to be put on decks. One of these is actually mounted under the medicine cabinet at the vanity. It is not wired up yet, but it looks good there,,, not sure where the other one is hiding. We were in Camping World a few days ago and i was looking at another set of puck lights with a real cool magnetic switch that is remote!!! I came so close to buying those but didn't. Thank goodness i was chided out of buying them by cooler heads. Who knows, maybe i have hit bottom finally. BUT,,, I am in the market for a nice led flashlight with a rotating head, if any of you know of one, let me know.
Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"

Offline compedgemarine

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 06:16:45 AM »
lets see, stuff I bought but didnt REALLY need? The Bus. somedays it is a love/hate relationship. but hey you only live once and I guess if worse comes to worse they can just bury me in it. after all it seems to be trying to kill me anyway. beyond that I havent gotten far enough along to figure out where and when I can use all the crap I have laying around for it. I am still working on having a floor.
steve

cody

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 06:23:21 AM »
Interesting thought, being buried in the bus, now if only I can find 6 really strong pallbearers lol.

luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 06:29:21 AM »
Look at it this way that extra stuff is so easy to give away someone always needs it

Sojourner

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 06:35:12 AM »
Amen Cody and luvrbus! LOL!

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 07:34:57 AM »
Interesting thought, being buried in the bus, now if only I can find 6 really strong pallbearers lol.

Naw no need for pallbearers, just one crazy driver to launch it into the hole and climb out through the roof hatch if (s)he survives! LOL! Maybe Libby will volunteer, so's you two can be buried together!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline compedgemarine

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 08:57:45 AM »
pallbearers are probably not the issue. I am sure there are plenty of people out there willing to help stick me in the ground. the hardest part is someone to dig the huge hole to fit the bus. on second thought I could just use the hole I've dug myself into since I started this project.
steve

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 11:48:03 AM »
I have to agree with Steve,,,,,,,,THE BUS !   But it is really cool to drive, trying to save a few dollars so I can fill it up before fuel hits $4.00

Oh! Oh!   I almost forgot,,,, I bought a washer and dryer that I never hooked up.  Just remove then from the bus last weekend.  Brand new, anyone need them?

Bill
MCI-9 For Sale
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline Hartley

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 07:21:08 PM »
I am no stranger to OCD....

My 40 foot shipping container that weighed 30,000 lbs must have parts, bits, excess and all kinds of bus debris stuffed away. I went in there last week and found an outside shower system that I bought to put in a conversion I worked on 7 years ago.
24 volt A/C blower motors from RTS, Flxibles and MCI's and even 2 of the 2-speed 12 volt motors out of a Scenicruiser a/c system. They still work ! Ohio Motor built them all to last forever. Fan blades from a/c condensers for some bus somewhere.

Brass Pex fittings, PVC fittings, wire, junk and new wire, old wire, bulbs and new junk still in wrappers.

What am I going to do with it all....... I have no idea.. It would take a couple of months just to dig my way in there to look...

OCD .. I collect the wierdest junk... Just never get-round to anything anymore....

Dave...
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline belfert

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »
I bought a regular RV propane water heater and furnace.  I ended up going to hydronic heating because I couldn't find a place to cut open the side of the bus that would line up properly and couldn't find room for air ducts.

I bought a used 7.5KW Onan generator and I bolted it directly to the bus.  It vibrated so bad that I was afraid the bus would come apart.  It was so loud the deaf could probably have heard it.  I was planning on leaving in 6 to 8 weeks so I ordered a new Powertech Ultraquiet generator the next day.  I got the Powertech installed in plenty of time.  It is not Honda quiet, but no problem sleeping directly above the running generator.  The bad part is when it came right down to the end the bus needed another good day or two of work and didn't go on the trip the first year and I could have had plenty of time to work on the Onan. 

(It was a good thing the bus didn't go that first year as I ended up putting in a new radiator and water pump before going on a big trip the next year.  The bus would have overheated in the Rockies.  Zero problems with new pump and radiator.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 06:26:32 AM »
Oh!  Oh!    ;D :o   

I forgot about the Pro Heat I bought and have never installed....  Anyone, want a Pro Heat?

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal