Only with a written promise to behave
6 (8.5%)
Solely at the discretion of the Moderators
17 (23.9%)
Absolutely NO
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: March 16, 2008, 06:35:04 AM

Author Topic: People barred from this Board  (Read 8667 times)

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
Re: People barred from this Board
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 08:28:02 AM »
Was there a poll such as this to get him barred in the first place?  I too, didn't realize he had been barred.  I thought he just picked up his football and went home because he didn't want to play with us anymore.

The simplest way to deal with to deal with posts or posters that are inappropriate is to ignore them. In a matter of hours the post will be buried on page three.

I truly value everyone here, the very knowledgeable willing to help, the newbies trying to learn, the well intentioned but ignorant who confuse the issues, even the Republicans, all an asset to this community.

I found some of the  Ace/Richard bickering to be quite annoying but just shrugged it off and scrolled on down.  We all make a**holes out of ourselves at one time or another.  It's just life and won't buy one gallon of diesel.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline TomC

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 08:41:49 AM »
Some people just love to bicker on line as a way of getting juices flowing.  Maybe Ace's comments were taken a little too seriously.  As long as the language is kept clean and we don't have name calling, I too like to get into "discussions" about various topics. I didn't realize that we had bulletin board police that had the power to ban people from using this board.  I personally just like to read and learn-then to give back what I've learned-but isn't that the purpose of this board?  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline JimC

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 08:52:25 AM »
I for one feel that Ace just comes across on the board worse than he does in person. I have met him and feel he is a stand up guy, in fact that is part of his problem, he feels strongly about things, and calls a spade a spade, he does not mince words. To me that is a positive trait, but to others that can come over as rude, or sarcastic, or plain nasty sometimes in the written word.

Personally, I feel that there were some people that fed off of that and it seemed like they were trying to get to him a little, well if that was the case, it worked.

Let him back, (if he would do so)
jim

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 09:10:40 AM »
As long as the language is kept clean and we don't have name calling, I too like to get into "discussions" about various topics. I didn't realize that we had bulletin board police that had the power to ban people from using this board. 

The two things I like most about this forum is the civility and the cohesiveness of the community.  To me, abusive language and personal attacks/name calling are where the line has to be drawn to maintain these traits.  The moderators must be able to act when behavior calls for it.

All that said, I believe that people learn from their experiences and everyone derserves second chances.  I agree with Nick that he needs to discuss it with Nick and agree to make an effort to log off when feeling undiplomatic;)

Diplomacy:  The ability to handle a porcupine without disturbing the quills.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 09:11:12 AM »
I don't like censorship, but sometimes it can be beneficial -IF- it is limited in scope.

Instead of baning people from the board, I'd rather see the ugly words blanked out & the innocent protected. HOWEVER, the offending poster's identity & the essence of what was said should be left so all can know the personality behind the posting. That way we can know 'that is their way' & give it the credibility consideration it deserves.

Criticism can be constructive or destructive. Leaving the posts essentially intact allows readers to see thru thin veils of 'I was only trying to help' some try to hide behind while being hatefull.

It takes all types to make the world go around.

Some people are more eloquent in their writings, others, not so much . . . . .

I think it is easier to see a person's true self thru their actions - not words.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

skipn

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 09:12:09 AM »
Ok I am in wonderment

from the orginal post
 "I truthfully believe that enough time has passed and in speaking to him yesterday he was told he could re-join but his application always seems to get bypassed."

Yet this is what I found (view attached image)

Could someone please explain?

Thank
 Skip

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 09:39:22 AM »
I'm not going to get into any name specifice, but I'll mention why I'm active here .... and not elsewhere.  It has to do with a general tone of members' posts.

When I was looking for a bus, I investigated multiple bulletin boards.  On this one, I found civility.  Elsewhere, I found a lot of acid.  Even though it may have only been a few folks, that was enough for me to avoid the "elsewhere". 

It has been suggested that we can ignore the ascerbic posts of others.  I don't quite/entirely agree.  I may have three or four posts "elsewhere", here I have more.  Why?  seeing others get slammed, I don't want to put myself in that position.  I don't want to become the porkupine, with the quills being arrows in my back.  Yes, I have almost 4 decades in the bus business, but I'm quite a newcomer to the conversion field.

When I was visiting with another local member several months ago, he commented that a lot of knowledgeable folks used to post on the boards, but decided it wasn't worth it because of some of the responses.

I seem to live on American Airlines.  For quite a while, on returning home to DFW and looking out the passenger window, I saw a large sign between Terminals A and C.  Posted, obviously, for employees.  It said "Coordination, Cooperation, Mutual Respect, Trust."

Here's an example.  Recently, a newer member was asking for help here, but had forgotten to post details of his vehicle/engine.  The only statement made in one of the posts hinted very politely that the information might be helpful. 

My 1/50 of a dollar.

Arthur 
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 10:56:59 AM »
Ok I am in wonderment

from the orginal post
 "I truthfully believe that enough time has passed and in speaking to him yesterday he was told he could re-join but his application always seems to get bypassed."

Yet this is what I found (view attached image)

Could someone please explain?

Thank
 Skip

Hi Skip,

We never deleted ACE's account. There is only a ban which prevents him from posting. He can still log on and view
all messages and the BBS system tracks all his activity.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 11:03:07 AM »
I'm not going to get into any name specifice, but I'll mention why I'm active here .... and not elsewhere.  It has to do with a general tone of members' posts.

When I was looking for a bus, I investigated multiple bulletin boards.  On this one, I found civility.  Elsewhere, I found a lot of acid.  Even though it may have only been a few folks, that was enough for me to avoid the "elsewhere". 

It has been suggested that we can ignore the ascerbic posts of others.  I don't quite/entirely agree.  I may have three or four posts "elsewhere", here I have more.  Why?  seeing others get slammed, I don't want to put myself in that position.  I don't want to become the porkupine, with the quills being arrows in my back.  Yes, I have almost 4 decades in the bus business, but I'm quite a newcomer to the conversion field.

When I was visiting with another local member several months ago, he commented that a lot of knowledgeable folks used to post on the boards, but decided it wasn't worth it because of some of the responses.

I seem to live on American Airlines.  For quite a while, on returning home to DFW and looking out the passenger window, I saw a large sign between Terminals A and C.  Posted, obviously, for employees.  It said "Coordination, Cooperation, Mutual Respect, Trust."

Here's an example.  Recently, a newer member was asking for help here, but had forgotten to post details of his vehicle/engine.  The only statement made in one of the posts hinted very politely that the information might be helpful. 

My 1/50 of a dollar.

Arthur 

Hi Art,

You are very correct!
We believe the #1 reason this board is so successful is because we don't allow Flaming wars to to flare up!
This is a comfortable place for most to visit. Yes, we Police it... all 5 of us Moderators....and sometimes I wish we had
more to help with the Spammers.
Bottom Line, It's not going to happen here! Start bad mouthing another member or vendor and we will delete!
Do it enough times and a ban will be issued.
I just hate to sound Stern but, that is what works here..
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

captain ron

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 11:07:26 AM »
I don't think it was language that got Ace banned or calling a spade a spade, He was slandorous to a few of us and I am one of his victims on more than one occasion. There's one thing to call a spade a spade but to insinuate someone is/was a drug addict or has $hity credit whether they know this for a fact or not is wrong. I think he is being given a 3rd chance in all actuality but that is fine with me. If he is truly going to be a help to this board by all means bring him back if he falls back into the same old routine send him packing.
    I know there are people here that don't like me and some that after meeting me have changed their opinion.  I try to put a comedic twist to some things I say but hardly ever am I being facesious or how ever you spell it. Let the powers that be decide.

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 11:25:25 AM »
I enjoy the real friendliness on this board.  I agree with Runcutter and Sean about not really being able to "ignore" argumentative posts.  They ruin quality threads and louse up good information.  I also really hate excluding anyone with excellent knowledge, considering how little I have!  How about this: let Ace back with the pledge that he edit his posts as you would any letter -asking your self "how does this sound to anyone but me?"

Also a great "rule" for us all to live by - we all love buses, ALL buses!  I have seen several threads get lost in bickering about who's brand was best.  I think it is OK to tease a little, (like about Eagles rusting  ;) ) but I think it is wrong to seriously denigrate any specific make or model.

Just my opinion - like a belly button, we all have one!
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline Nissan_DownUnder

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »
Living in a remote  corner of the world, I need all the help with my bus that I can get.  I read this board daily & post questions now & again.

The moderators do a brilliant job of allowing self expression & humour, without  allowing the personal attacks I have seen in other forums.

From my perspective, I trust them to decide if someone should be allowed back or not.

Peter
Peter
Nissan UA440,  Wellington, New Zealand

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 11:31:01 AM »
     Stick, stones, bones guys.  This is only words, guys (and cyber ones at that).  I am all for maintaining a certain decorum on the board. Removing someone's access to posting may be necessary if that person refuses to be reasonable.  Removing the offending posts may be a good first step since most would get the message that their message is not getting across.  But, not only am I for second chances, I am for second second chances.  Come on, you guys are burly bus mechanics.  You wipe your noses with your sleeve and have been known to spit, curse, and openly admire women.  Even if you had feelings, you shouldn't admit that they could be hurt.

He doesn't drive a GMC, does he?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

luvrbus

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 12:01:42 PM »
Nick you know I support you 100% but some of these vendors get flamed good on this board and nothing happens.I have friends that don't use the board because they have a Walker Coach and believe Walker did right by them.Every time AZ Transmission is mention Richard goes off about him and I have had great luck with him and then you have the Sliver Eagle Co when that name comes up all hell breaks loose.But I think you do a great job so keep it up
[/quote]

Hi Art,

You are very correct!
We believe the #1 reason this board is so successful is because we don't allow Flaming wars to to flare up!
This is a comfortable place for most to visit. Yes, we Police it... all 5 of us Moderators....and sometimes I wish we had
more to help with the Spammers.
Bottom Line, It's not going to happen here! Start bad mouthing another member or vendor and we will delete!
Do it enough times and a ban will be issued.
I just hate to sound Stern but, that is what works here..
Nick-
[/quote]

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »
I didn't vote because I don't think the decision is any of my business.  This board strikes a very good balance between the heavy handed net nanny censorship that some boards exhibit and the knock-em-down, drag-em-out flavour of usenet.  I like it and obviously a lot of other people do too.  It is this way thanks to the moderators.  Good job guys - keep it up.

The discussion should be between Ace & the moderators.  It is 100% their call. If I were in Ace's shoes & I really wanted back on I think I'd pick up the phone.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal