Author Topic: What Gives?  (Read 11054 times)

Offline Slow Rider

Re: What Gives?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »
Dale,

I must respectfully disagree with you on this one.  I frequented a board that used a member rating scheme.  At first it was okay.  But it rapidly deteriorated into a love/hate fest.  We developed a group we called the "0" bandits.  Any thing they disagreed with they gave a zero rating.  It didn't matter how well the topic was presented, or tone of the post.  It destroyed the board. 

While the moderator type of board may not be perfect, it is still gives a good balance.  While I will still participate if we go to a ratings scheme, I hope we don't. 

Frank
The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Hi Folks,
I find it very interesting that so many of you that have no idea why a person who's repeated offences caused him to be banned from the board are so quick to advocate his return. I do know why he was banned. I believe in second chances too, but how many second chances does one person get.
I have been told that the first step to solving a problem is to recognize that there is a problem. From a recent post on another board, I don't think that Ace has accepted that he ever was a problem. The long time members of this board, that are familiar with the issues that led to the ban, know why Ace was banned.
Lin, you mention that convicts know the length of their sentence, have you never heard of life without parole?
NC Bob, would'nt it have been better to have made your appeal to Nick in the first place instead of bringing it to the board? You said "men don't treat men like that", or something like that. Well MEN don't treat people like Ace did here either.
When someone asks me why I didn't give a person a piece of my mind? My responce normally is, "I have so little to spare".
That's my $ .02 and you can keep the change. Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Songman

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
Frank,

I have seen the same thing, but that was normally on boards that were overrun by teenagers. I would hope that the adults we have here would act more their age. But your point is taken. The other board that I saw what you described on had what was called the 'red bar brigade'. This was made up of people who were on the fence and proud of it. They would act out worse than normal just to get banned. Of course, they knew they would just sign up under another name and start the whole process over again.

I have to say that overall, this is the best board I have ever been on and I attribute that to a more mature crowd. We don't always agree but we handle it like adults and that is how it should be.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 11:47:11 AM »
But with that said, I will never let you get away with telling me what my business is or is not.

Dude, chill out. I only said it was my opinion that it wasn't our business, I never meant you had to agree with me.  ;)  Once you get to know me, you will realize I have lots of opinions & sometimes share them too easily. I don't want everyone to agree with them - would be awfully boring if they did.  8)

I have always been the one to want to get along with everyone and I hope you and I will be friends as I hold no ill will toward you kyle.

I don't have any ill will towards you either, not yet anyways  ;)

I enjoy good debates, discussions, arguments. It is one way of seeing who is listening
  ;D  :o

WVaNative

Songman,
I will not endorse anonymous ratings. It's too easy for punks to hide after starting trouble. It is bad enough that their incendiary posts are deleted after the bomb was droped.

Not to mention any names (because that would leave some out), but, I have seen certain people post vicious, slanderous, & unsubstantiated accusations only to have the post deleted & seemingly no diciplinary actions taken since they continue to pop off  whenever they feel like it. (mostly on another board which is why I don't post much there.) Now, the only ones to have seen the ugly posts were the person attacked & a few others. Those that didn't see the post have no idea why hard feelings exist. That is why some posters get such a cold reception. These offensive posters sometimes try to defend themselves by claiming they didn't say that - who can refute it if it isn't there in the archive?

I feel this board is better for the actions of our moderators. I still don't like having posts deleted, but I believe deleting those posts keeps the board a friendlier place.

BTW, Sam 4106 is wise beyond his years & is obviously not easily fooled by BS & empty promises.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 01:24:03 PM »
If we are voting, I like the system of moderators.  They make a H*** of a contribution to this board and they are a success...BASED ON RESULTS.  Thank you all.

John(the suck up)
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Hartley

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 04:31:22 PM »
Time to move on guys... You have beat this one into the ground enough...
 >:( :( :o 8) ::) :P ;) :) :'( :-X :-[ :P ??? ::) 8) :o :(
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »
What Dave said!
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 05:58:52 PM »
To Sam 4106, are you sure you birth certificate does not have your name listed as "Solomon"?
That is a very good post...pretty much what I was thinking!
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Songman

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2008, 03:24:06 PM »
Kyle, I guess my naiveté always shows and gets me in trouble. I have this idea that all people are good until they show me they aren't. That's why I assume that petty things won't happen here with all of us adults. I have been shown different many times. I just choose not to let it change me and make me jaded. But your point is taken and I understand where you are coming from.

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 02:15:10 AM »
Since i don't have sense I'll jump in on opinions since that seems to be the thread here.

I met Ace before and like him.   I've met Dallas and Jack and have read this board for a while and gotta take on Nick and Richard, and like them too.

I don't read all the post so if i don't like one i move on,  I even sometimes enjoyed the Onward and Upward guy's post but found many just "too dang long"  so i moved on.

My opinion of the Moderators in their "Volunteer" postions is they neither promote nor take lightly the ban of a member.  Heck, they even put a whole nother place to say whatever the heck you want and you dont have to go there if you don't want to read it.   I am confident that they were put in an awkward position that they did not ask for or desire and acted in the manner they deemed best for the board and the group.  I do not envy them and dislike that they were put in the position to have to take that type action.  I respect thier decision/action as "how it is.  I think they do very well and the board is great as a result.

Since we all know the law about "there is one in every crowd"; so be thankful when you see him, cause if you don't see one, means it's your turn. ;)
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal