Author Topic: Kerosene and deisel mix  (Read 4723 times)

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
Kerosene and deisel mix
« on: March 07, 2008, 11:22:30 AM »
Has anyone heard of mixing Kerosene in deisel fuel. I have an opportunity to acquire a large quantity of kerosense at no charge. Should I take it or leave it? PP

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Kerosene and deisel mix
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »
Hi PP,

I would take it.  You can dilute it like 15 to 1 or more..  $$ saved..

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:10:23 PM »
I was told a long time ago that kerosene plus one quart of 30 wt oil per 10 gallons of K IS DEISEL.  I have seen truckers fill with 100 gal K and add 10 quarts of oil to it.  Real happy to escape the road tax they were.  I think it was non-detergent.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:37:42 PM »
kerosene is close to number 1 fuel that DD recommend for years and probably better than the fuel you buy now

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:09:56 PM »
Thanks so much for the quick help. I'm going to go get it now! ;D

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:55:27 PM »
You'll experience a bit of a power reduction since Kerosene or Diesel #1 has less BTU's than Diesel #2.  Here's the BTU per gallon content of various fuels:
Methanol- 62,800
Ethanol- 84,400
Propane- 92,000
Gasoline- 125,000
Kerosene- 134,000
Diesel #2- 139,000
Diesel #6 (bunker oil like what ships burn)- 150,000.  Just thought you might like to know.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:01:50 PM »
Sure, why not?  About the same answer, winter diesel lots of times is just summer diesel with some...you guessed it....kerosene added.  On a somewhat related note, the owner's manual of my '82 VW Rabitt Diesel said that in winter, as an emergency, one could add ten percent gasoline or 20% kerosene to summer diesel to make it emergency winter diesel.  :) :) :)

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 09:55:12 PM »
Premium, I would take it and burn a little with each tank as an extra lubericant. I think its good for injectors to use a little additive!
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 07:10:43 AM »
In the old days when it got to about 5 or 10 degrees we would add 5 to 10 gallons of Kerosine to 100 galons of diesel to prevent gelling.  Our mechanics said it is close to the same, just very little in the area of lubrication in the kerosine!  They said to never go more that a 10% mixture.  They were pretty smart dudes!
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Ncbob

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
Tom C, you didn't include #2 Stove oil (furnace oil I guess some call it) which I was forced to use at times going down the Mississippi River some years ago when fuel stops and Marinas weren't as prolific as they are now.  My 8V-71's burned it without complaint and no long term problems.  Just wondered what the cetane rating was compared to #2 Diesel and Kerosene.

Bob

luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 05:08:24 PM »
NC bob, heating oil is the sames as no 2 fuel 138,690 to 140,000 btu per gal     have a good day
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:14:46 PM by luvrbus »

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »
"In the old days when it got to about 5 or 10 degrees" So Jack, what does it get to in the new days? LOL
I grabbed the kerosene and dumped enough in the tank to give me about a 10g Dino to 2g Kero blend and put about 100 miles on her today. She ran like a top, maybe even a little smoother by the time I put her back to bed. If there was a power loss, I didn't notice it, and I was paying close attention. I'm thinking I might be able to tweak up the mix even more, but if there is a lubrication issue with the fuel pump, I don't want to push it. It appears the jury is still out on that one. She seems to purr on the current blend so I'll stay with it for now. Thanks again for all the help and especially the quick responses that saved me some fuel money. PP

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »
PremiumPrevost...in the 'New days' they put Howes in it at $16.00 a half gallon which brings your fule cost per gallon up any more!
Actually the fuel stops in cold country supposedly blend it where you shouldn't have to worry about gelling.
Glad the kero worked out for you.  I saw the other post where you paid more than $4 for fuel.
May the fleas from a thousand camels infest their bedsacks tonight for what they are doing to us!
Jack

PS...If I quit posting it will probably be because I got so damn mad I had a heart attack over this fuel BS...or I got put in jail for telling one of the managers at fuel stops what I think of this!
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline TomC

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 11:05:24 PM »
#2 stove oil may not have as much lubricity as normal Diesel-but with our very forgiving 2 stroke engines, should not be a problem.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline junkman42

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 11:59:12 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with using transformer oil to replace diesel fuel.  The oil I was told is close to kerosene.  It is called shell diala ax.  This oil is presently installed in large welding power supplys that run 200 KV.. I was told that some transformer salvage shops have been caught using this oil as fuel.  Any help will be a big savings for Me.  Thanks, John.

skipn

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 01:00:43 PM »
I might suggest one be careful with transformer oil......

We were using it as hot shot oil for the transmission test bench until the right stuff came in then
 we found out there was a lot of PCB,s in it. A carcinogen !!!!! has about a 10wt viscoscity

FWIW

Skip

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 07:29:58 PM »
Junkman, If that oil is contaminated with PCBs, trust me, you want nothing but distance between you and it. PCBs are deadly carcinogens, and not just in California  :D. I thought they outlawed the use of materials containing PCBs in the manufacturing of modern transformers back in the 80s, shortly after banning DDT :o.

skipn

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »

Premium,

The reason I brought it up was due to the statement "This oil is presently installed in large welding power supplys that run 200 KV"

From that I wouldn't know what era the oil would be coming from thus the caution

Just trying to clarify

Skip

Offline junkman42

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 09:01:15 AM »
Shell diala ax is non pcb.  In the past life servicing and buying and selling these machines I always sent samples off for testing as certification was required in almost all states to ship machines there.  I do remember that one of the big factors in the use of transformer oil besides the tax bite was the oil being burned in the scrap trucks is that they were burning the oil so they would not have to pay the disposal fee for pcbs.  Quite irresponsibe and beyond stupid.  My question still stands, can this oil be used as fuel in My detroit?  Thanks guys, John

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »
Junkman, I wish I could help you with your question, but unfortunately, I'm so low on the food chain I didn't even know for certain that I could use Kerosene in mine. I am glad to note that you're up on PCB's. I also saw your newbie thread on the UK Bus site. My wife is from England but since buying the bus we haven't been back. Good luck with your question, Will