Author Topic: Is he stretching the truth?  (Read 8047 times)

Offline Slow Rider

Is he stretching the truth?
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:41:09 PM »
There is a guy selling a 1986 LAG with a C10 and a 6 speed stick on the bay.  He is claiming 12-13 mgp.  He says at 75 mph you get 13 on the highway and then 12 around town?  He also states you have a lot of power with this set up.

Is he being........ahh     overly optimistic

or

Can you really get that kind of fuel mileage with that setup?

Just curious,

Frank
The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8

Offline tekebird

Re: Is he stretching the truth?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:03:05 PM »
uhhh, I would put my money on his stretching the truth at least a bit.

Now not being familiar with the Euro Lag models theis thing might be super light sticks and fiberglass which would account for a bit........

but if this mileage were an accurate representation.......C10's would be the predominant Powerplant in the motorcoach industry

Offline tekebird

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 06:14:37 PM »
now I am going out of my element now:

Engine looks to be caterpilar yellow, which makes sense because Caterpilar makes a C-10 engine.

What color ar cummins engines?  Or Cummings as this on is powered with?

Engine Mis ID.......likey Can't calculate mileage either

Offline Slow Rider

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »
Thank you sir ;)

Frank
The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8

Offline tekebird

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 06:27:16 PM »
lets wait for confirmation as I don;t know much about either the Cummins or Cat line of powerplants.....

but a quick search came up with nothing for a Cummins C-10

skipn

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:35:08 PM »
 Looks more like an L10 to me    Cummins that is

Slant valve cover and the after cooler on the head on the left side.  :)

FWIW
Skip

Offline tekebird

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »
I defer to Skip as he has one.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 06:49:24 PM »
Aren't Cummins typically painted red from the factory?  
Don't mean to be overly blunt, but a 40' high-profile bus isn't going to get 13 MPG.  Probably won't see 8 MPG at 75 MPH.  
That's wishful thinking.   Smaller diesels used in the new S&S pushers only see 8 or 9 on a good day.   Similar body profile, a lot less weight, and more efficient engine when compared to a bus powerplant.  

JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 07:00:54 PM »
Well, well, well...... let's see he also say's that that POS! Is LIKE a Van Drool , or a SETRA!  Agcghgchgchgchgcough! BS! A LAG is like a YUGO! Can you say JUNK! OK now I remember when he bought that POS on EBAY quite a while back(like over a yr! I can't remeber exactly when but I do remember it!)nd several others I have seen advertised claimed that too! But I have some personal experience with a LAG & I can personally tell you that every one of them I have ever worked on or seen up close had a MAN engine and a 6 or 7 spd manual trans. Was a real dog on POWER and could barely get outta it's own way on flat ground! So I'm not saying it couldn't get that kinda mileage, but it won't do it in the hills, and it dang sure ain't noth'n like a SETRA or even a Van Drool for that matter!They are cheaply built, parts are harder to get than anything I've ever seen! I know of 3 within an hr of me that have just become part of the landscape due to lack of parts availability and not being able to sucker anyone else into buying them! LOL! ;D  BK  ;D

Only the newer breed of Cummin's are red and my apologizes to Skip. I don't mean to personally slam his, but I'll tell it the way I've seen them up close and too personal as the owners tried to get me to either fix them or take them off their hands atprices that I had to laff at! By the way I was in the middle of typing this as the last 2 replies were posted!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline tekebird

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 07:10:02 PM »
lol

NJT Thats what I though Red Cummins, Yellow cats, DD 2 strokes Green with the end being silver, Reliabuilt DD's Red or post 1975 MCI's with Autos came with red, Greyish for the Series 40/50/60 engines.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 07:35:09 PM »
lol

NJT Thats what I though Red Cummins, Yellow cats, DD 2 strokes Green with the end being silver, Reliabuilt DD's Red or post 1975 MCI's with Autos came with red, Greyish for the Series 40/50/60 engines.

You got it covered... early DDs were "Alpine" green....but you forgot the "Barney" motors. Those famous late '90s New Jersey Transit purple 6V92 in-house rebuilds.... ;)
Bryce...what color were MAN engines?   Euro buses were not using American engines in '86?  Were they?  Didn't Van Hool start the Americanized powertrain with Cummins L10s? 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

skipn

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 07:34:27 AM »
 BK,
   No offense taken.....It is all a matter of what horsepower is hooked up to what transmission.

Cummins........Tan or black   I personally haven't seen a red one :) I'm sure they are out there
    Cat.............Bright yellow or the newer ones are more a golden yellow (you can figure that one {gold}en)

I have 2 tan colored Cummins now same color as the one in question.

Have a wonderful day
 Skip

Songman

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »
Is this the Disney bus? If so, doesn't seem likely to me that they would know what kind of highway mileage it would get or how it cruised at 75mph. Highway speeds don't apply too much when taking tourists to the Magic Kingdom.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »
I think that if you put an 8' x 12' wall on the front of a Volkswagen, you would have a hard time getting 13 mpg.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Hartley

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 02:08:25 PM »
I know someone that has the same model bus, It's also an 86 model
has a 6 speed manual and Cummins L-10 with a rating plate that says 270 hp.
Probably from the same source in the Orlando area.

Thier data plate says LAG Panoramic I think. This guy says Galaxy, I don't know
the difference.

I looked at the pictures and it appears identical to the L-10 Cummins coach setup.

The bay doors on the one I messed with were aluminum and the rest was fiberglass.

Lags are the poor mans economy copy version of the Van Hool. The running gear is Euro parts. Tube framework chassis and a funky front door.

BK.. If that guy want's to give me one or more of his orphan LAGs I would
take them as long as they are CHEEEEEEEAAAAAAPPPPP....

But I probably couldn't afford to have them towed...

Dave...
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal