Author Topic: 8V-71NA Skinner Valve  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Stormcloud

• FMCA#407220
8V-71NA Skinner Valve
« on: March 25, 2008, 05:48:09 PM »
Hi,all:

Well, I awoke the Papabus from a looong winters nap a couple of days ago when the temperature went above freezing for the first time since November.
It fired up the 3rd try, and after a couple of coughs it smoothed right out. Seems all is working as when parked last year with two exceptions.

One is a minor air leak underneath, sounds like its somewhere between the tag and drive axle.....can't tell yet as my bus ramps are still buried in about 3 feet of snow.

The other leak is at one of the Skinner (?) valves on the top of the DD. Photo attached. It's the one on the right with 2 air lines.
It's likely an o-ring or something. I think this is the fast idle solenoid valve?

Is it easily repairable, or should I just replace it? I have a selection of standard o-rings here, or is this there a special kit I need?

Thanks.

Mark
Mark Morgan  
1972 MCI-7 'Papabus'
8v71N MT654 Automatic
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada in summer
somewhere near Yuma, Arizona in winter(but not 2020)

Offline Tony LEE

• Photo Albums
Re: 8V-71NA Skinner Valve
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »
The one on the right is one of the two air cylinders (actuators) involved with fast idle (the second air line goes to the second actuator) and the one on the left is the engine stop air cylinder.

Neither should have an air supply (from the 2 skinner valves located on the bulkhead just forward of the engine) when the engine is in normal operation so a bit of a leak won't matter much.

Offline Stan

Re: 8V-71NA Skinner Valve
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:28:06 AM »
Those are just air cylinders, not the electric/air valves. One is the shut down cylinder which pushes on the shutdown lever when your turn of the master switch (if there is air pressure). The other one is the high idle lock out which prevents you from pushing down the accelerator pedal if the high idle is switched on. They are simple to take apart, clean and replace O rings. The high idle lockout wil only leak when high idle is on but the shut down cylinder leaking will cause a rapid loss of tank pressure when the engine is stopped.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal