Author Topic: PVC AC ducts, will it work?  (Read 9133 times)

Offline grantgoold

PVC AC ducts, will it work?
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »
I am considering using PVC 3" pipe as my AC ducts. Anyone have thoughts as to the pros and cons of using this product. I will have the pipe run down the middle of insulation.

Thanks

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: PVC AC ducts, will it work?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 12:22:31 AM »
Hi Grant,

There is no reason you couldn't use PVC.... Allthough, I would use SCH40 for the insulation value of the thicker side wall.

If using the thinner sidewall, just be sure to wrap it with insulation or you may end up with drips if installed in an unconditioned area.

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 05:51:39 AM »
Grant,
   Does the sq. in. area of the 3" PVC equal the specification of your AC unit?  If not, you will probably not be happy with it.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:00:51 AM »
The roof top ac's that I have seen have an opening that is approx 4 by4 or 16 sq in of air supply and a three inch pvc pipe has approx 7.06 sq in of supply.  If you ran one each direction you would be getting about 14 square inches of supply -- adding a small vent right at the bottom of the ac ( with a diffuser that can be controlled ) may give you enough air flow to avoid icing in the unit and if you had openings at different locations along the tubes you could have a pretty good set up. I think I might head toward ABS instead of PVC because of the design it would be easier to modify and you can glue it and have it hold without conventional connections much better. Also ABS has the core cells that may insulate better.

Just a thought

HTH

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 08:50:53 AM »
Hi Grant,

I'm under the impression that you will use the pvc for branch runs and not your Main Trunk. Right?

If not, then what Jack and others have said is correct. You won't have enough CFM in 3" pvc.

You would need a 12" round pipe to handle the CFM's of 2 RV units.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Dallas

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »
If the vents are going to be run down the roof in the insulation, why not consider using 29g galvanized, bent on a brake to make a "tophat" kind of shape.. the same as your tophat structure in the framing?
probably not any cheaper, but it will take up a lot less room, and you can have it any width and depth you need.
After all, 3" PVC on the inside is 4" on the outside... that's a lot of space to take up with a heating vent that is buried in insulation.

Just a thought.

Dallas

I am considering using PVC 3" pipe as my AC ducts. Anyone have thoughts as to the pros and cons of using this product. I will have the pipe run down the middle of insulation.

Thanks

Grant

Offline ktmossman

• 2006 MCI J4500
    • Making the Drive
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »
WARNING: I will be the first to admit I don't know diddley about this topic, so this may be a very stupid question...

If you run A/C and/or heat (conditioned air) through a plastic pipe, wouldn't you build up quite a charge of static electricity?
Kevin Mossman
2006 MCI J4500
Dallas, TX

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 01:53:50 PM »
Hi Dallas,
Not that it matters in this case, because 3" PVC pipe is too small to be used as A/C ducts, but 3" PVC has an O.D. of 3.5" not 4", as you stated.
Thanks, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 04:55:20 PM »
WARNING: I will be the first to admit I don't know diddley about this topic, so this may be a very stupid question...

If you run A/C and/or heat (conditioned air) through a plastic pipe, wouldn't you build up quite a charge of static electricity?

Good Point!

I have seen this done, they ran a non insulated ground line through the length of the pipe and attached to a frame ground.(electronic bay)

This was done in a non-moving application though, and really have no information if it worked or was just someone's idea.  ???

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Dallas

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 05:03:59 PM »
But the Joints will be 4"

Hi Dallas,
Not that it matters in this case, because 3" PVC pipe is too small to be used as A/C ducts, but 3" PVC has an O.D. of 3.5" not 4", as you stated.
Thanks, Sam 4106

Offline rcbishop

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 05:35:04 PM »
Sam....ain't necessarily so..depends on the mfgr. and the  total cubic inches for outlet.  I have 2.5  inch i.d. running thru a chase (not PVC) the length of the coach,  on one side, with several outlets.  Not a choice I would normally make. Three inch would have been better, but chase space did not allow.  Coleman  basement unit.  System has been doing well for several years.

FWIW  :-X
RCB

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 11:33:25 AM »
I thought about this thread as I walked through Home Depot today.  I noticed PVC and aluminum gutter downspot in 3"x4" that might work for you.  There were also various bends and other fitting available.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal