Author Topic: oil cooler  (Read 1924 times)

Offline berrybus

oil cooler
« on: April 04, 2008, 04:25:55 PM »
can any one tell us where the oil cooler mounts on a mci9 for a ht740? what size is it? who has a good price one? thanks jim
"No man is a bus."

makemineatwostroke

Re: oil cooler
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:36:20 PM »
berrybus   call Untied at 1-800-527-1637 and they will size it for you and tell you were to mount for best air flow( its CA time fwiw)

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 06:05:15 PM »
Jim, Are you looking for a air to oil or water to oil? I used a water to oil for my 740.  Tom Y 
Tom Yaegle

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 04:29:21 AM »
On my V730 (which is a HT740 without 1st gear) I added an auxiliary trans cooler with a built in electric fan actuated  by a thermostatically controlled switch with manual override.  It is plumbed where the hot oil comes out of the transmission, goes first through the auxiliary trans cooler, then through the stock shell cooler then back to the engine.  This way, the auxiliary cooler takes a lot of the heat out before hitting the standard cooler that is cooled by the radiator, keeping a lot of heat away from the radiator.  Also, on cold days the standard cooler actually heats up the transmission faster then if it didn't have it.  It can be just as bad running an engine or transmission too cold as running it hot.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 06:54:24 AM »
   Our MC-8 OEM cooler is a oil to water cooler and is attached to the drivers side of the engine (below the exhaust manifold). We added a oil to air cooler installed on the engine compartment side door (passenger side). Oil now flws from transmission through the aux. cooler then to the OEM cooler and then returns to the transmission.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline edroelle

• 1998 Royale Prevost
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »
Jack is right.  The oil cooler is on the driver side of the engine.   It has 2 compartments, 1 cools the automatic transmission fluid and 1 cools engine oil.   They are sensitive to leaking 1 compartment to the other and housing cracks.  On the 8V71, you need to pull the engine to change.  I don't know if engine needs to come out for the 6V92.

An external cooler is a reasonable option.

What do you have, and what are you wanting to do?

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 08:23:18 AM »
If you are looking for a oil/water cooler then I can make you a smoking deal on one off my 6v92.  It is mounted to the driver side of the engine block and gets fresh water directly from the water pump.  I no longer need mine and would love to find a good home for it that does not involve the scrap yard!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal