Author Topic: Registration  (Read 8485 times)

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
Registration
« on: April 06, 2006, 05:43:04 PM »
Well, as I have heard close to NO support for non-registration, and LOTS of support for registration  - and we have almost 170 members signed up, I spoke with Mike (MAK) about registration as a precondition to posting.  He was supportive of that change.  Much as I hate change, The ability for guests to post will be removed. As I have to clean up the junk, and none of us likes to read garbage spammed onto the board, this change does seem to make sense.  Thanks to all who wrote in about the subject & voiced your thoughts. 

This really won't affect our community. Out of the 600 or so posts so far, only about 3 were by guests.  All who are registrered will just continue posting.  No change.  Guests can browse the posts, but that is all. 

A link will be added to the old BBS to make it easier to find this board.  April 15th is still the official cutover date.

Hope this helps, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Registration
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 05:51:17 PM »
Hip  Hip   Horray!

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 06:06:53 PM »
I logged on a few times as a guest and could only read the posts not view the pictures.
This new site reminds me alot of this board - http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/start_page.php ,
Maybe different catagories for different buses in the archives? wheres the spell check? :-[
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 06:11:13 PM »
I logged on a few times as a guest and could only read the posts not view the pictures.
This new site reminds me alot of this board - http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/start_page.php ,
Maybe different catagories for different buses in the archives? wheres the spell check? :-[

Good evening!

That is correct, guests cannot view the pics.  "Membership has its privileges!"  Guests can still post.  But not for too much longer.

Spell check - I'm having to work through the ISP on this, and it isn't as quick as I had hoped.  Several of the members have figured out some clever alternate spell checkers for this BBS in the interim.  I'm still working on it, but it may be a while.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 06:24:56 PM »
I thought that was one the reasons for going in this direction.  Isn't that the only way to prevent the anonomous spammers from posting?

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 06:29:12 PM »
I wonder if registration will really keep out the spammers? I noticed a bunch of garbage on the BNO board today but I really do not remember if everyone had to register to post or not.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 06:39:12 PM »
I wonder if registration will really keep out the spammers? I noticed a bunch of garbage on the BNO board today but I really do not remember if everyone had to register to post or not.
Richard

No, I don't believe I@n has registration required.  I am almost certain guests can post, if they submit a name and possibly an email address.   

There is no guarantee we can keep spammers out 100%, but at least we are takingn a huge leap forward.  Before, on the old board, we had absolutely no defense.  Very frustrating to fight a battle with no weapons.  Now, at least have some defense, and also the ability to keep up with the latest patches.  Heck, there weren't even patches available for the old board.  Wait a minute...

Patches...? Patches...?    we don't need no stinkin' Patches!

;D

Best Regards, Phil

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 06:40:08 PM »
but I really do not remember if everyone had to register to post or not.
Richard

I can answer the "need to register" question.  Registration is not required to post on either the MAK or BNO board.  I'm not registered on either and post whenever I have an inkling of what's going on.  
Even registration won't keep out spammers, but clearly allows some management of the offending posts.  JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 06:44:01 PM »
Sorry about the geezer print...get carried away what with all these "options"..and I'm about blind.  Looks like I'm yelling.   :)  JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Danny

• 87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...
    • Personal Web Page
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 08:27:27 PM »
It takes such little time to go through the process of making one part of the group - it is a great idea!  Keep the guest at bay...

Danny
I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal