Author Topic: Are cheap MIG welders any good?  (Read 28586 times)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Are cheap MIG welders any good?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 05:35:36 AM »
I dunno. Lately I've been feeling pretty grumpy. I think it's cause I can't seem to get any time to work on my bus!

I was much happier when I was putting 40-60 hours a week into the bus. But now that it's semi functional, I have all these other things to do that got neglected over the last 5 years.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2006, 05:45:06 AM »
Craig, I have a SIL that I call 80-20. He is all enthusiastic to get a new project started and ends up getting it about 80% done and then another interesting project comes along and I think you can guess what happens to the other 20% of the first job. I am sure however, that this does not apply to you or any of the other busnuts on the board. LOL
Richard

I dunno. Lately I've been feeling pretty grumpy. I think it's cause I can't seem to get any time to work on my bus!

I was much happier when I was putting 40-60 hours a week into the bus. But now that it's semi functional, I have all these other things to do that got neglected over the last 5 years.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2006, 05:55:55 AM »
Wish I could get to 80%.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006, 05:58:02 AM »
Sounds Like ADD! :D

Don't ask me how I know. ???

I have an old 110v Century welder with gas reg.( not tank though) that rarely gets used but it is better than no welder.  Maybe I should plan it for the First 80% instead of the last 20% :D ;D

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2006, 06:17:27 AM »
Sounds Like ADD! :D

What were we talking about?  ???
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2006, 06:28:32 AM »
You'll remember after you take your Ritalin. ;D

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2006, 07:45:26 AM »
Is that the green pills, or are they peas? (that's a great commercial).
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline bergdoll

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2006, 12:03:55 PM »
i picked up a harbor freight 110 volt w/ gas (25% aargon) & it worked great, for a while...bought the 2 year warranty & took it back (gas flow stopped) & they discontinued that model!!! & nothing comparible to replace that model? so i ended up getting a lincoln electric for more than twice as much $$$, but you get what you pay for...the chopsaw & compressor & riveter i got at harbor freight all seem to be doing really good, but get a warranty with anything you pay over $50. for. i did have my doubts about 110 volt welders,(got certified on 220V)  but i am getting great penetration (bevel) but then again i'm only weding on 16 guage.
you definitley want the gas, as flux is nasty welding & fumes.
1982 Prevost Champion/Marathon under construction...

belfert

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2006, 07:18:03 PM »
I started this thread and I ended up borrowing a cheap Century welder from a friend.  Another friend did the welding and said it really sucked.

i was going to buy a decent welder and learn how to weld, but my bus conversion budget got blown to heck by a repair bill that was double what I originally thought it would be.

Brian Elfert

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2006, 07:29:45 PM »
Years ago I bought an 110v Century welder with gas regulator and a bottle of gas at Big Lots for $100. It was a refurbished unit. It works well enough for around the house. I mostly use flux core because I weld outside in the wind and the slightest breeze will blow the gas away. I weld more than the average person; at work I use some very nice Millers. We also have an inexpensive Lincoln weldpac 100. It is a portable 110v unit that we use flux core in. I think for the money that the Lincoln is a good machine. It gets abused; dropped, duty cycle ignored, overheated till the thermal breakers trip, etc. and it keeps on working. Millers are production machines. If you can afford one and let it sit around the house that’s great. But for the average person it would be overkill. A good welder makes welding a little easier but practicing with the welder you have makes all the difference. After all this rambling I guess what I am trying to say is that I can tell the difference between a “cheep” machine and a “good” machine, but I can make a good weld even with that low end Century. Give someone who doesn’t know how to weld a nice welder and they still cannot weld….Practice, practice, practice!
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal