Author Topic: ok Is this normal  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Bob Gil

• Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net
ok Is this normal
« on: April 16, 2008, 04:15:41 PM »
Well just a few mintues ago I crawled under the front of my bus trying to see if I could find any numbers in the frame.  I did not find any number I got side tracked with the other things I found.

I found that the right frame rail has been cut and moved to the left.  The drivers side of the frame has a section that has been added to the out side of it and the steering box is mounted on the inside of the addition.  Is this somthing that only one company might have done or is it the normal for all bus builder to do?

Then I noticed that it has power steering, well it has a clyinder mounted to the steering linkage (straped to the linkage) and a ball on the axle where it should be mounted.  I don't remember seeing any thing on the engine that I though was a power steering pump.  Can any body tell me what I would be looking for?

I would post pictures but my photo editing program is not working at this time. 

Wow I find more every day to make me wonder about this project.

Did a bus have power steering from the factory in 1968?
Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator

Offline compedgemarine

Re: ok Is this normal
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 04:41:25 PM »
Bob
are there any lines going to the cylinder? if not it may just be a steering dampener. if it has lines see if you can follow them to wherever.
steve

Offline Bob Gil

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 04:53:28 PM »
Yes there are lines on the cylinder. 
They go to the steering box.

I will try to post pictures later.

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Offline compedgemarine

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 04:56:38 PM »
if the lines only go between the box and the cylinder then you got me. in order to be power you have to have a source of pressure somewhere. are there any other ports on the box that are plugged? may be that it was assisted steering and has been unhooked for a while.
steve

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »
Since there are no pictures, and I am not an expert anyway, I am only guessing.  It sounds like the bus has had some sort of power assist system.  If it was hydraulic, you would need a power steering pump and lines back to the engine.  Are the lines to the cylinder possibly air lines?  It could be air assist.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 07:53:33 AM »
Hello Bob.

This mystery just won't stop getting more murky!

Sounds like some heavy retrofit was involved, and that some of the lines have been disconnected for whatever reason.

One thing for sure, when you get this done, you will have a sence of accomplishment few of us on here may lay claim to!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline Bob Gil

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
Lets see if this works I am trying to add the pictures

These are pictures of the frame job where is has been moved to the left and the addition has been added to the drivers feet section.

Offline Bob Gil

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 11:18:25 AM »
here are picture of the steering clyinder and box.

I am kinda of concered if you look in the bottom picture  you can see that all there is in the front of this bus is the head lights and the skin on the front of it nothing for a bumper but the ends of the frames.

Offline Bob Gil

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 11:20:29 AM »
last picture of the bottom of the steering box and hoses going to it.

Offline TomC

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 11:33:26 AM »
Who knows what bus manufacturers do with the frames?  Luckily, the frames on most buses are there mainly to keep it straight when building-with most of the structural forces being taken by the body framing itself. 
As to the power steering, on most Detroits (including the 53 series) the power steering pump is gear driven off the back of the engine (in your case facing forward).  And judging by the oil on the steering gear, the pump is working. 
With all the dirt and such underneath, before going any further, I'd have the entire under neath steam cleaned-then you can see more clearly what you're looking at.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.