Author Topic: Just a suggestion...  (Read 9636 times)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Just a suggestion...
« on: June 06, 2006, 11:32:18 AM »
I was just reading a post by a fellow trying to move an old bus which has been sitting for some time and has flat tires and questionable engine. He's asking for advice on how to remove the tires or get them aired up, etc.

Not to single this one guy out, but it seems to me that if people would take the time to set up their bb profile so it includes where they are located, there might actually be other bus nuts in the area who would be willing to come help, and who probably have the tools (jacks, wrenches, electrical, knowledge, etc) to help ease the burden.

If this fellow was located within a reasonable distance from me, I'd gladly bring my air wrench, generator, compressor, tire bars, hoses, tow rope, etc, and help him change his tires. Might even help him see if the old girl is ready to run again. It would be worth the time to see the old bus, and make a new busnut friend.

Just a suggestion.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline DrivingMissLazy

Re: Just a suggestion...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 11:51:07 AM »
Craig, we are working on a national map with balloon type indicators which will show the location of each member that elects to have themselves included. I think it will be a great help for cases like this. As you scroll over the balloon, it will give the members name, city and state.

One of the problems might be that some members will not want their phone number listed, and some members will not include their real name, so it might be tough to track some of the people down sometimes, but it will be a start.

Dallas and I have both spent a considerable amount of time trying to get it set up and I think Phil plans on releasing it in the next few days.

Just another bonus from the MAK board.

Richard

I was just reading a post by a fellow trying to move an old bus which has been sitting for some time and has flat tires and questionable engine. He's asking for advice on how to remove the tires or get them aired up, etc.

Not to single this one guy out, but it seems to me that if people would take the time to set up their bb profile so it includes where they are located, there might actually be other bus nuts in the area who would be willing to come help, and who probably have the tools (jacks, wrenches, electrical, knowledge, etc) to help ease the burden.

If this fellow was located within a reasonable distance from me, I'd gladly bring my air wrench, generator, compressor, tire bars, hoses, tow rope, etc, and help him change his tires. Might even help him see if the old girl is ready to run again. It would be worth the time to see the old bus, and make a new busnut friend.

Just a suggestion.

craig

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
Re: Just a suggestion... [ and a good one ! ]
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 12:05:38 PM »
Hi Craig,

That is a great idea - In my signature, I have my area of the country, many others do as well.  But as you bring up Criag, it could be very helpful in many situations.  I have received several extra offers of help from those nearby my location that I wouldn't have received if my location hadn't been posted. 

Along the same lines, the upcoming interactive map should also be a real benefit in locating nearby help and fellow bus nuts.  Richard and Dallas should have more news on that fun new feature soon!

For those who haven't modified your profile to reflect your area of the country and feel inclined to do so: 

Go to the PROFILE button (top of this page) , then choose to EDIT PROFILE. 

Go to the signature, and modify it to reflect your area of the country.  You can be as specific (Carrollton, TX) or as general (ex: northern Illinois)  as you feel would be helpful. 

Hi Richard, this thread may be a candidate for moving to the help board at some point.  ?

Best Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 12:19:11 PM »
Great idea.  Could the profile layout be changed to include:
Bus type/info
Mechanical help available
Parking/hookups - come visit

much like the FMCA listings.
I would also suggest that profiles be visible only to members (if not that way already).

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 12:25:11 PM »
Yeah, I looked at the map the other day. It's coming along nicely, but the problem is that it's not tied to the profile. It's a separate entity alltogether that each individual must go register for. So when someone posts that he's having such and such a problem, I can't just click on his name and find out where he's located. And trying to locate him on the national (international?) map is not going to be very effective when we get all 666 members (wow, compare that number with today's date :) That's just freakin wierd!!) registered on the map. It'll look like Alquburque skys during the balloon fest.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 12:37:24 PM »
Even with the profile information, you would have a hard time locating anyone as most have included very little, if any, personal information.

For those who elect to supply some information for the map it is much easier to locate someone in a specific area of the country with the map instead of leafing thru 600+ profiles.

There is also a Shout Out area of the map where personal information such as Len requested.

Richard

Yeah, I looked at the map the other day. It's coming along nicely, but the problem is that it's not tied to the profile. It's a separate entity alltogether that each individual must go register for. So when someone posts that he's having such and such a problem, I can't just click on his name and find out where he's located. And trying to locate him on the national (international?) map is not going to be very effective when we get all 666 members (wow, compare that number with today's date :) That's just freakin wierd!!) registered on the map. It'll look like Alquburque skys during the balloon fest.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 12:52:11 PM »
Wow Richard,
I wondered what the Shout out Thingy was for.
I haven't had much time to play on it for the last few days.
I've ben to busy replacing rivets in a Newell Coach.
ARRRRGGHHHHHH
It seems like THOUSANDS!!!!
By hand.

Dallas

Offline Brill-o

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 02:01:16 PM »
Hello—

First off--please have eaten and gone to the Loo (restroom) before sitting down to read this--it's that long a read!

Thank you Craig, for reading and replying to my post. I thought it was to be passed on with no interest.

I wasn’t thinking of calling out the troops—especially ones’ I’d only introduced myself to a couple of days before.

I take your comments and responses very much to heart and would like to thank you so much for such a kind offer. Simply amazing from someone who wouldn’t know me from “Adam”.

Although this thread turned into mapping and stickies, I’m going to reply to my other post here since this is where your answer originated.

I understand it was not directed at me—but lets face it, my post was the “bell-the-cat” post that brought this to light.

I’d mentioned it took me hours of fiddling just to get the pics loaded. I’m just not to savvy with PC’s. I had no idea about the profile thing, and as this seems to be an issue, until I get that done I can give a short run-down of a profile of sorts—

I’m an semi-retired British bloke with a fam’ of two “ankle-biters” (girls) and a very smart Yank Wife. She works for the Nat. Park Service, whilst I mind the girls and do part time local digging and hauling.

We are situated in the northern most tip of Va. and I’m a (totally insane) vehicle buff. The Wife is somewhat hobbyist also- (she has a 70’ Boss 302 Mustang).
 I still have my green card and we go back “home” every few years.
We live on approx. 14 acres in the woods with mountains right behind us starting at the base of the rear of the back yard. The driveway is 1510 ft (which I zigzagged for privacy) with a pond I’d dug about half way down. It’s really beautiful and secluded here. Groceries are a 50 mile round trip.

I have a late 80’s Detroit powered Blue-Bird that’s missing one front-door glass section and the pass-side mirror. It has a drive-line noise, which is a vibration that is only present when releasing the accelerator or coasting. Anyone have a prob' like this before?
I’m surmising it a “U” joint, although I’ve never as much as added fuel to a bus.
I paid $50 for it at an auction on a cold rainy day that no one decided to show up for. After speaking at length with the shop foreman (It was county owned and maintained), I drove that baby about 30 miles home—with not a tag on it!

After all, when was the last time you saw a bus get pulled over?

I also have (but not relevant to this board):

55’ Ford F-6 dump
65’ Divco milk truck
46’ International rear double-wheel farm lorry
78’ Fairmont
47 International retrieval (wrecker)
49’ Ford ramp truck
87’ Ford 40-ft. bucket truck
88’ Ford ramp truck
80’s IH dump truck
49 Ford F-6 (spares)
68’ Nova 2-dr
86’ Ford 4WD van
85’ Ford 4WD service truck
88’ Ford F-250 extended cab
87 Mustang 5.0 (bought her new)
80’s Case Backhoe
76’ John Deere track-loader with Hoe attachment

Everything above that wouldn’t fit on my (large) ramp truck, I fixed and drove home- with the exception of the Divco’ which I had flat-bedded from New Hampshire because of a hole in the bottom of the trans’ case.
(Ps—There’s still a 42 REO bus waiting for me there)

And I’m not going to start on our daily drivers—

Now that I’ve babbled-on about me, mine, and ours—let me address what I was referring to in my query in the other post:

I was only asking in general if there is anything I should be aware of or to look out for since I’ve never had to have something towed like this before. I’m sorry I didn’t include my locale, but I had no idea it was so relevant.

I have a mate who will be towing it by Fri. for $200. I’ll either follow him with my service truck, or see what he has on his rig and bring some extras.

I doubt we could get it fired in such short notice (they want it moved—not worked on) and would be afraid of the results if it wasn’t prepped for the re-start. I would like to soak the cyls’ for at least a couple of weeks depending on what I find with closer inspection.

The engine from what I could tell is one big black lump of grease. This may be a good thing, as it would act as an insulator from the elements.
I don’t see how you can get to anything but the distributor, though. I noticed it has more than 6 plug wires-maybe double that—could it be a dual plug set-up? Any thoughts on this?
Also is this set up on a cradle of sorts so the mechanic can just remove the whole thing to get access? It’s super-tight under there!

The tire situation will be ok—
We’ll air them up and swap-out the leakers.

One issue I’m concerned about is the actual towing hook-up. If you’ve viewed the pics I’d posted on the other thread, you’ll notice to large eye-bolts on the front end. I thought this had something to do with the towing. Am I wrong and what are they for—pulling out of the snow?
If it takes a basic tow-sling I’m afraid it may damage the lower front valance grille. I’m sure I have to soak any bolts for weeks before they free up a bit.

One point though, Craig—
In all fairness, I did ask in my first post if anyone knew where I might get some info, parts sources and repair tips/help. Although I got two fine “Welcome aboard’s, No one spoke up with any real info. I’d asked of any other Brill owners but nobody here seems to own one now.

I started to think I made a mistake joining here because I don’t own a half-million buck Orion, GMC, or MCI.

I’m just a bottom feeder—this is my 2-bucks and change..

(PPs) If you decide to make this a sticky, just go ahead a delete this message.
And....

MIND THE GAP!  (UK lingo for watch your step when entering a coach on a platform!)

Cheers..
Mind the Gap!

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 02:17:23 PM »
Nice post Brill-O. I really wish more members would post some information like that so we get a chance to know each other, even if only by computer.

You are correct in that your thread got kidnapped, as so often happens on these boards. It does however keep the board interesting, in my opinion, if it does not get carried away too far.

I strongly suspect you did not get more direct response than you did is because none of us, even us old timers, have seen few, if any, of this brand of vehicle. I believe thee only one that responded about that was Dallas and his experience was from even a much older year mode.

I can assure you that there are many of the conversions out there are not million dollar mansions or even close to that.

If you do not get a response to a question it is generally because nobody knows anything about it, or not enough initial information was provided so that a logical response could be posted. Please bear with us. We could use a few more Brits in the group.
Richard

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 06:28:55 PM »
Hello Brill-o,

It's your turn. I don't see any info on your location or about your bus in your posting Profile yet!!

If you need any info on how to do this, Ask and we will guide you.

Nick Badame-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

belfert

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 06:34:32 PM »
I started to think I made a mistake joining here because I don’t own a half-million buck Orion, GMC, or MCI.

I HIGHLY doubt more than a a handful of people here have a $500,000 coach.  I paid $36,500 for my shell and I think that is probably on the high end of what most have spent on their shell.  I'm hoping to be on the road for $65 to $70k total.  (My budget has grown by some $20k since I started in April.)

Brian Elfert

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 07:35:11 PM »
Brill-o,

First, let me clarify that I had not intention of singling you out when I started this thread. It was just that I had just read your original post, and was sitting there wishing I knew where you were located in case I could help. I didn't respond to the other thread because, like most everyone else here, I don't know anything about Brill's other than they are pretty cool. I try to keep my mouth (finger) shut when I can't add constructively to the conversation, and was hoping there would be others who would respond. But like Richard said, I really think yours is about the only one I've seen on the board. You're charting new territory and we're all watching anxiously.

I saw your pictures on the photo thread, and I must say, that is really one nice looking project bus. I only hope you document your voyage of bringing it back to life. Use it as an excuse to become more computer and internet literate. Build a website. That's what I did, and I'll help you if I can, though there are many on here who are more knowledgable about that, than I am, also.

As for being in the wrong place, don't bet on it. I think you will fit right in here with the rest of us. And, yes, I would have come to help you fix the tires and haul it if you were close by, even though I don't know you from "Adam". The reason?  Because it's obvious you're just as nuts as the rest of us.

I read your list, and was thinking, "Hey, this guy needs a John Deere tractor backhoe loader to go with all his other toys, and I just happen to have one for sale." Then I saw the case and the track-hoe.  Shoot. :)

Take care, and don't hesitate to post here. This is the right place, and when people can answer you question, they will.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 08:53:34 PM »
Looks like your in the right place and you have a lot to offer.  If i could afford a 1/2 million bus I wouldn't be posting here or working on it myself(well maybe i would cause I'd sell it to get a cheap bus and fulltime).   I came about wanting an RV and couldn't afford what i Liked and and wouldn't have what i could afford.  The ones that i could afford needed complete rebuilding so If your gonna rebuild something  why not end up with something good.  I found a deal on mine and I'm makin payments, but there is plenty of fixing to do.  I wouldn't have attempted bring it home without this board

Welcome to the board and don't forget to use the smileycons :)

NewbeeMC9
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Brill-o

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 09:02:05 PM »
Good Eve’, Gents-

Got a bit more time to waste? Read on-

This place is crazy! (In a good way!) You all seem like a pretty good bunch-

I must admit I had a laugh reading some of the replies. Again, in a good way, though.

DLM-
 Thank you for the comps’! I understand what you say completely, and I got a chuckle out of the “high-jacked” part.

I’m only a mem’ of another (non-related) board and you may know when a newbie posts the first few times, folks try to feel them out so I wasn’t too concerned.

Nick-
 Give is’ a minute to get my bearings! I haven’t even figured out how to set the clock here! I’m four hours ahead. Let me wade in and if I start treading water I’ll yelp for help. (Thank you, Sir.)

I’ll be looking how to set up the profile after I’m done bending your iris’s with this post! If I can post a pic there of the Bird, I’ll do so—if not, should I post it here or on the “Bus pics” thread?

Belfert-
 I didn’t mean to wilt your flakes, I was just generalizing (more like wishing) about the value and the convenience of owning a mega-buck ride. I meant no disrespect.
If I won the Lotto I would take a new one and re-skin it to vintage specs, keeping all the cushy stuff inside. I’m just an old sod-

I understand when you speak of value as well-
My Bird cost the county $110,000- and they sold it to me for $50—insane!

The closest I’ve come to spending money in your league was the purchase of a new Freightliner FL-112 with Benz power (1600 ft Lb torque/9 mpg) for 80k (with bed, air-gate and lift-axle). Since then, sold.

Good wishes with your project!

Gumpy-
Don’t think you opened a can of tripe by giving me the semi-guinea pig role in your thread- I’m flattered! I was truly glad I was able to spark some interest.
Also, thanks so much for viewing the pics, and I’m pleased you (as some) think it a good looker. It’s definitely different.

When you speak like this I get even more excited about it! I swear I’ll be loosing sleep until it’s sitting in my driveway!

I’ll take photos as it goes, but I doubt I would do a web thing. I really don’t have the time. Thanks very much for the help offer, though-
Go back over my vehicle list and you can see the time I have to invest just to keep them in shape much-less get to use them! I’m very time challanged-
My trak-loader will be for sale this fall.

The wrong place? Here? Another laugh!
You know I had to read a few posts before I signed on!

If I didn’t think there was a least one “sicko” like myself here, I wouldn’t still be here defending my incorrect posting topic and not setting up my profile yet! I’m trying to be an asset and not just an @$#.

Oh, and Newbiee-
Good to read your thoughts, as well  :)

So all-in-all, I think you bunch are a good sort-

You blokes think you have me partly figured out, now?    Don’t bet on it!
Wait till I get back from UK--
I have my heart on getting a Saurer Komet! (Ever heard of that bus? Lovely!)

I can’t wait to start a topic about that one and try and get replies!

Cheers..
and
MIND THE GAP!
Mind the Gap!

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 11:50:08 PM »

I have my heart on getting a Saurer Komet!

Heck with the Komet - engine's in the wrong place!

OTOH, If you could bring me back a fully-restored Duple Roadmaster, I'd appreciate it!   ;D

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal