Author Topic: Ouch!  (Read 6215 times)

Offline Bob Gil

• Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net
Re: Ouch!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 10:57:42 AM »
what is not built by the low bidder?

The bus you build your self!
Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 11:06:24 AM »
Richard,

Anything I built was built to the spec that it would kill the most Commies and our guy would return to fight another day.  Everything I did was Pri 2 and I had tons of cash. 8)  The few people that seriously questioned me ate the big wiener for their trouble. >:(  They were few.  :-X I had tons of funds and always managed to return about 20%....I set my budget and then struggled to live within that constraint ;) :D ;D ;D.  Yeah, I was a civil servant but I often was not civil :o

You know at least one Richard,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »
I'm not up on the new buses. What manufacture was that?
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 02:19:34 PM »
BO,

Navy grey buses that put to sea and traveled in harms way jam packed with red blooded Patriots.  "Any time Baby, anytime" was more than a motto.  I also spent ten years serving those long black tube shaped ships that regularly sunk filled with semen.  Yeah, those too.
And that was a group without peer.

Been 18 years since I have been there.  I still miss it and them.  Like Bo Jangles, I still grieve the ones we lost.

"What mfr. was that?"  ??? :D ;D ;D  Good one.  Actually, built by the lowest bidders.

Ever seen a sixteen cylinder diesel that had two crank shafts in one block where the cylinders were home to two pistons each that rotated in opposite directions and arrived at the top dead center simultaneously?  My question at the time was "Why, Sweet Jesus, would they do that?"  It was rather large.  The answer was not long in coming.  Do you know why?

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline belfert

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 02:59:55 PM »
Opps, supposed to on the thread about Bill's bus on Ebay.  I got mixed up somehow.

Sniping started with Ebay auctions because some bidders get the urge to win at all costs and if another bidder doesn't wait until the last possible moment they could be outbid by the guy who has the urge to win at all costs.  I have seen stuff on Ebay sell for way more than it is worth and sometimes for more than retail at a regular store.

Stuff at live auctions can also sell for more than it is worth if two bidders decide they both need to win.  I quit going to live auctions because any of the good stuff went for far too much money.  There were cases were I could get the same item new for what the bidding ended at.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Stan

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 05:31:47 PM »
Richard: Only government agencies are constrained by the low bidder concept. Many if not most work done for private companies is either design-build contracts or invitation to submit a proposal.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »
Well I'm glad to see that video.  I was wondering what would happen in such a crash.  Now I don't have to sacrifice one of my buses to find out.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 09:46:02 PM »
Back to the thread....

I think it was an MCI 102EL3 Renaissance model.

The "J" model has different baggage door handles for one thing...

Foolish question of the moment: "Did the airbags go off?"

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 07:52:11 AM »
I saw what looked like a airbag going off in one of the veiws. Don't know if it would do much for the driver.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal